Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
OK. Going to see it a second time tomorrow with the kids. I'll be curious to see if they pick up on the same problems I did.

Overall I loved it, but my nitpicks are similar to everyone elses.

I wondered why they didn't just hyperspace a Star Destroyer or two ahead of the Fleet. Now I totally get it when someone pointed out that Snoke and Hux were just toying with them. I'm cool with it now.

Canto Bight - Also, didn't think it was a great thing until someone pointed out that perhaps the kids on Kanto were the missing kids from Luke's temple. I would have sworn that kid force moved the broom into his hand at the end of the movie. Now I'm gonna have to watch closely tomorrow to be sure.

DJ - I was hoping that guy would come around, but he just sorta disappeared after the hyperspace impact didn't he? Still not sure on that. Phasma will be back for the third film :)

Snoke - Sure, he was sliced into a few pieces, but then again look at his face. Perhaps he's been sliced before and can reassemble himself? :)

Now, my biggest complaint and the one I haven't seen explained yet. WHY did Luke have a graflex on Crait? If he manifested himself to look younger (ie, just for Jedi hair color) - I'm only assuming it was to really get Kylo worked up. In that case, shouldn't he have had the Green ROTJ saber? Seeing that Graflex was the first big hint to me that something was totally weird about Luke being there in the first place. Of course, perhaps that's exactly why it was the graflex. Much like the underwater X-Wing it was a distraction to confuse everyone a bit.

If force ghosts can just summon lightning, why don't they just strike Kylo with lightning?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think that it takes a special place. Not just random places. Notice how Luke couldnt actually touch the ground. And why Yoda fled to a particular planet.

So how is everyone interpreting Rey’s Dark waterhole scene? When she asks to see her parents, and yet only sees herself... Thoughts?

So how is everyone interpreting Rey’s Dark waterhole scene? When she asks to see her parents, and yet only sees herself... Thoughts?

I saw Leia's shadow before Reys face appeared

Although confused with the whole snap crackle pop.. thousand Reys thing

Edit: seconds back in time..trying to go all the way back

Last edited:
Wow.... clearly blind this one is.

QUOTE=Gary Weaver II;4370998]OK. Going to see it a second time tomorrow with the kids. I'll be curious to see if they pick up on the same problems I did.

Overall I loved it, but my nitpicks are similar to everyone elses.

I wondered why they didn't just hyperspace a Star Destroyer or two ahead of the Fleet. Now I totally get it when someone pointed out that Snoke and Hux were just toying with them. I'm cool with it now.

Canto Bight - Also, didn't think it was a great thing until someone pointed out that perhaps the kids on Kanto were the missing kids from Luke's temple. I would have sworn that kid force moved the broom into his hand at the end of the movie. Now I'm gonna have to watch closely tomorrow to be sure.

DJ - I was hoping that guy would come around, but he just sorta disappeared after the hyperspace impact didn't he? Still not sure on that. Phasma will be back for the third film :)

Snoke - Sure, he was sliced into a few pieces, but then again look at his face. Perhaps he's been sliced before and can reassemble himself? :)

Now, my biggest complaint and the one I haven't seen explained yet. WHY did Luke have a graflex on Crait? If he manifested himself to look younger (ie, just for Jedi hair color) - I'm only assuming it was to really get Kylo worked up. In that case, shouldn't he have had the Green ROTJ saber? Seeing that Graflex was the first big hint to me that something was totally weird about Luke being there in the first place. Of course, perhaps that's exactly why it was the graflex. Much like the underwater X-Wing it was a distraction to confuse everyone a bit.[/QUOTE]

20171216_222010.jpeg

Ok.. who else got one?

Im just a big kid..

I really enjoyed the movie, on both first and second viewings. It was a lot of fun, I like where they’ve taken the characters, and especially the pairings with Rey, Luke, Kylo, and the setting up for future movies independent from the OT cast. There were some little niggles I’d have preferred be snipped out; the milk, some of the porgs, some of the set ups that hint Luke wasn’t present at the end etc.. as felt they added unnecessary complexity or over extended a decent enough joke, but they’re all minor issues really. I was ready for things to wrap up in the last quarter, while I liked the side story with Finn and Rose, agree it could have been simpler and I didn’t find any value in DJ as a character so would have been happy for that to be the biggest cut. The fight scene with Rey and Kylo was worth the cost of admission alone for me. I actually loved that we got to see Leia actively use the force, though I thought the effects there let things down and detracted from what should have been truly awesome. I had no issues with the non-linear intersection of stories, that’s hardly new to a Star Wars movie, and is pretty much the same in Empire. I think the movie will hold up well, and people may be less critical with repeat viewings, and with the rush of TFA and the first new movie in years more in perspective compared to ongoing movies.

Honestly there is no need to explore anyone's back story really now that we've seen 8. Snoke is dead. So what's the point of exploring his origin now? He was killed off too quickly and if he had so much power to be able to link Kylo Ren's mind with Rey's then why would he not be able to see that Ren was plotting to kill him? Or why didn't he just use Kylo to be able to locate Skywalker on the island so that he could snuff out Luke? Why even bother with Rey at all? The whole objective was to kill the Jedi, no?

Rey's parents were drunks who sold her for booze money. So no need to explore that any further. Even though as Force users (because we all know that it runs in blood lines) at least one of them could have coerced someone into giving them money for alcohol or alcohol itself with their powers so why the need to sell their daughter off? This was just so stupid and anti climactic. Why would she remain loyal to her parents and wait all that tiime for them to come back?

And Luke. Poor Luke. Having Luke consider murdering his nephew in his sleep was completely out of character. It would have made FAR more sense if Luke tried to help Ben keep from turning to the Dark Side and when he did Ben attacked him. The resulting fight would have put Luke on the defensive. It's the same problem I had with Obi-Wan confronting Anakin in ROTS. The fact that they even contemplate killing their own students just makes it that much worse. Where is the nobility in that? Wouldn't you try and help someone you love if they were doing something wrong? I guess killing anyone who decides to turn to the Dark Side is the Jedi way, no matter how close to them you are? So much for being the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy.

Wouldn't it have made more sense if Luke went to Ach-To to try and find answers to how he could save his nephew and when he found none he just became jaded by it, knowing Kylo Ren couldn't be redeemed? Plus they missed a GREAT opportunity of Luke reacting to the news of Han's death. They cut away before he could react. Showing Luke mourning his friend would have only compounded the guilt he felt by knowing he was partly responsible because he failed Ben. That addition would have added to the story and deepened the character by having another layer to Luke that we hadn't seen previously.

As it stands we didn't learn anything new about the Force, which seems like a missed opportunity considering Luke was looking for the first Jedi temple. Why? So he could destroy it all anyway? Wouldn't it have made more sense if Luke was so frustrated at his own failings that when he goes to burn it all Rey stops him and makes him realize the error of his ways? Then he decides to train her, hoping that perhaps this strange girl might be able to help his nephew? It would also answer why Rey all of a sudden wants to redeem this monster she seems to hate. Maybe with Luke's teaching she comes to learn that there is another way to having to fight Kylo Ren.

Subverting audience expectations is not a bad thing but I think that's this film's greatest weakness because it took every opportunity to answer a question or explore a character and turned it into a joke, or just glossed over it too quickly without letting the characters explore it and grow as a result. The First Order just mercilessly annihilated the Resistance and they made jokes all the way through the movie, so I'm not sure how hopeful the next episode could possibly be given how this one ended.

As The Last Jedi stands there isn't much to really cover in Episode 9. What will the conflict be now? Snoke is dead. Phasma had her one moment with Finn and she's dead. Luke may appear as a Force ghost to train Rey, but it seems she's trained well enough to be able to face off with Kylo and Snoke so I'm not sure what Luke could even teach her at this point. It leaves me wondering how much of a downer it will be. Kylo is beyond saving, so what will the internal conflict be? Sure there will be a duel, but what will the emotional impact be without that underlying tension that is motivating the characters to fight one another? Without that it's just them beating each other with swords.

So how is
everyone interpreting Rey’s Dark waterhole scene? When she asks to see her parents, and yet only sees herself... Thoughts?

The dark side cave ?
If go into the dark side cave and ask ANYTHING it shows you yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a one trick pony .

The lesson I get from everything is

DO NOT TRAIN IN USING THE FORCE !

Jedi train for decade's clones take em out on mass

Anakin only ten years or so he's the best of the Jedi

Luke gets a weekend seminar he can defeat Vader

Rey gets told the force is real and to breath she's a got god like powers

But wait you say didn't Luke use the force to project across the galaxy

Yup after forgetting everything he knew and cutting himself off from it for years !!!

Apparently the more you LEARN about the force the less tow know !?!

The dark side cave ?
If go into the dark side cave and ask ANYTHING it shows you yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a one trick pony .

The lesson I get from everything is

DO NOT TRAIN IN USING THE FORCE !

Jedi train for decade's clones take em out on mass

Anakin only ten years or so he's the best of the Jedi

Luke gets a weekend seminar he can defeat Vader

Rey gets told the force is real and to breath she's a got god like powers

But wait you say didn't Luke use the force to project across the galaxy

Yup after forgetting everything he knew and cutting himself off from it for years !!!

Apparently the more you LEARN about the force the less tow know !?!

Just goes to show you...Just like in real life.. and I think Lucas was trying to say

Both sides are full of sh^t.... from a certain point of view

Apologies if I repeat anything that's already been said, I read through about the first 10 pages of this thread, but I got a little tired. I saw the movie a day and a half ago (in 3D) and want to post some thoughts while they're still fresh, but I did give myself time to reflect a bit and think a bit on the mixed reactions to the film. I enjoyed the movie overall as I was watching it, and on reflection, still enjoyed it. I had problems with it, but not enough to destroy my view of it.

The first thing I'll say is that it struck me that it was very clear that this film was made by a different writer/director than The Force Awakens. I know everyone knows this, but it really was apparent that there were things Rian Johnson did not like in J.J. Abrams TFA and he was not going to carry them through to his movie.
Some examples:
  • Snoke - he seems like a much different character, in terms of dialog, voice and performance, and look. He appeared more human when you compare his look from TFA (the eyes especially, the skin tone, the wrinkles & hair). Physically, he reminded me more of the actor Charles Dance (Tywin Lanister from Game of Thrones), which made me wonder, why couldn't Snoke just be a human actor? I assume it was mainly because J.J. Abrams set up the character and mode the choice to have him be full CGI. I think the lighting in his throne room added to the less sinister, more human appearance, compared to the hologram version, and comparing him to the Emperor. I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping for more from the character. It felt as though it was set up that there was going to be more revealed about him in subsequent films. But I suppose the Emperor didn't have any backstory in the OT, and no one complained. Still, it does feel like J.J. had more planned for him.
  • Kylo/Ben - the comment made by Snoke about his "ridiculous" mask, and calling him a child, showed that Rian wanted to change the character of Kylo, removing some of his Vader-like leanings. Even when he was wearing the mask, the sound design wasn't as heavy as in TFA. I liked the way his voice was modulated and amplified in TFA, so I was disappointed that Rian didn't continue it. Kylo's speech patterns seemed more relaxed and less intense than in TFA, another thing I wish hadn't been altered, but I understand it in Rian's story. I think he wanted to move away from the Vader aspirations and move Kylo into a different direction. I was pleased in his continued struggle with light and dark, his moment where he couldn't harm his mother was a good one.
  • Rey's parents - another small let down, as we all expected some familial connection to the Skywalkers or Obi Wan Kenobi. I did think it worked to have her be the child of "nobodies." BUT (fan theory warning), couldn't it be possible that Kylo was lying to her? I don't know if she really has a real epiphany and realizes he parents weren't good, but Kylo seemed like he was negging her into getting her to join him. Isn't it likely that he made something up to crush her hopes so that she would follow him? Isn't that what villains do? Anyway, just a theory. I guess we'll see if J.J. agrees with me.
  • The movie wrapped up, as if there was no need for another movie to complete the trilogy. Rian knew he was only doing one movie in this trilogy, so he clearly wanted it to be complete on it's own. I think it worked, as we still know there will be one more, but he was able to put his stamp on this film. If Disney explodes tomorrow, this could easily serve as an ending to the saga.

For fear of making my post too long and unreadable, I'll stop here for now.

And Luke. Poor Luke. Having Luke consider murdering his nephew in his sleep was completely out of character. It would have made FAR more sense if Luke tried to help Ben keep from turning to the Dark Side and when he did Ben attacked him. The resulting fight would have put Luke on the defensive. It's the same problem I had with Obi-Wan confronting Anakin in ROTS. The fact that they even contemplate killing their own students just makes it that much worse. Where is the nobility in that? Wouldn't you try and help someone you love if they were doing something wrong? I guess killing anyone who decides to turn to the Dark Side is the Jedi way, no matter how close to them you are? So much for being the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy.

I like this.

Well said.

If anything, Luke should have been able to empathize with his nephew's struggle - not reach for his saber and contemplate killing him.

• Kylo/Ben - the comment made by Snoke about his "ridiculous" mask, and calling him a child, showed that Rian wanted to change the character of Kylo, removing some of his Vader-like leanings. Even when he was wearing the mask, the sound design wasn't as heavy as in TFA. I liked the way his voice was modulated and amplified in TFA, so I was disappointed that Rian didn't continue it. Kylo's speech patterns seemed more relaxed and less intense than in TFA, another thing I wish hadn't been altered, but I understand it in Rian's story. I think he wanted to move away from the Vader aspirations and move Kylo into a different direction. I was pleased in his continued struggle with light and dark, his moment where he couldn't harm his mother was a good one.
  • Rey's parents - another small let down, as we all expected some familial connection to the Skywalkers or Obi Wan Kenobi. I did think it worked to have her be the child of "nobodies." BUT (fan theory warning), couldn't it be possible that Kylo was lying to her? I don't know if she really has a real epiphany and realizes he parents weren't good, but Kylo seemed like he was negging her into getting her to join him. Isn't it likely that he made something up to crush her hopes so that she would follow him? Isn't that what villains do? Anyway, just a theory. I guess we'll see if J.J. agrees with me.
For fear of making my post too long and unreadable, I'll stop here for now.

Kilo's voice..disagree... too much on TFA..like a voice over

Reys parents.. Kilo... absolutely correct.. complete lie.. he tore her down .. only to say.. Im the only one you have

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back