Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Because film is a visual medium. If Rian wanted to tell part of the story with Luke looking fresh and lively wielding the Graflex then he should have had at least SOME sort of reaction from Kylo to pay it off instead of explaining it later on Twitter.

I think he did, though. I don't read any Twitter, and I figured out what was going on.

I see it as coming down to Luke basically f-ing with Ben. Full stop. Luke's messing with him, and trying to show him up as a chump in front of his entire army. Ben has become the Supreme Leader of the FO, but he's incapable of stopping a single man (granted, a Jedi Master). He has every gun fire at Luke and...nothing. He goes down and personally duels Luke, and...nothing. And he's mad during that duel. He's fueled entirely by his rage. Sure, that should've made him stronger, but strength is entirely beside the point in that confrontation. The whole confrontation is, at the core, meant to underline that it doesn't matter how strong Ben is: his strength is meaningless against Luke, which in a way makes Luke stronger than Ben. At the very least, it (1) inspires people that raw strength isn't everything and they can stand up to the FO, and (2) may cause Ben's "subordinates" to question his fitness and capability as Supreme Leader.

Side-note, wasn't the most important bit of Kylo's arc in this movie is that he smashed his helmet in order to step out of the Darth Vader-wannabe role? I thought that was the reason why he was so obsessed with Anakin's lightsaber in TFA.

That's correct. And, as I recall, he wasn't actually trying to reclaim the sabre during TLJ. The scene in which he and Rey pull it apart is more about Rey trying to grab it to fight him, and him trying to grab it to stop her, rather than to claim the sabre for himself. So, him wanting the sabre back may be entirely beside the point, if he's stepping out of Vader's shadow.

To both: I was speaking too loosely and imprecisely to the extent I used the concept or term "anger". I don't think Luke want to "anger" Kylo per se - rather, as Luke's whole goal was to merely stall for time so that the remaining Resistance could make its escape, I think he was just trying to distract Kylo and to occupy his whole head-space for a few moments. Looking more young and powerful - i.e., not as dissolute and aged as Luke had actually become - was toward that goal, as was, perhaps, using a saber that Kylo already viewed as "his" property. In effect, a psyche-out tactic to occupy Kylo fully for a few crucial moments. EDIT TO ADD - in effect, Luke was going for maximum effect with Kylo: "I'm your worst nightmare. I'm back, I'm in good shape, I've grown so powerful as to be nearly invincible, and, hey, I've got something you want but you and I both know is rightfully mine."

I don't see any reason to construe Kylo's silence on the saber as indicating that he did not recognize it. When Kylo spoke up to Finn, he was talking to a person who not only may not have known the history of the saber, but has no right to it. While Kylo may be the ultimate "heir" to the saber in his mind, like any heirloom, it really only becomes "his" when passed on by the previous owner - and Kylo knows that, as between him and Luke, Luke is still the rightful owner of the saber.

So, no need to yell any histrionic "that's mine!' First, because it isn't truly his, yet - but, it Kylo's mind, it will be once he kills Luke. Second, Kylo kind of had more important beefs to vent at Luke about at that particular moment - namely their past - and not a whole ;lot of time to talk about it, so . .. priorities. When Obi-Wan met Vader on the DS, they didn't engage in small talk about lightsabers - "hey, I see you got a new saber"; "yeah, because you stole mine while I was flaming up on the side of a lava pit, thanks for that".

M

I can buy that reasoning that it created time to stall him so the resistance can escape even through it probably strengthen Kylo's power. I suppose it was taking a risk though. If the resistance couldn't find a way out, Kylo would have been like Darth Vader at the end of R1 on the resistance while they were backed into a corner.
Was it ever explained how Luke knew there was an exit at the back of the mine?

That's correct. And, as I recall, he wasn't actually trying to reclaim the sabre during TLJ. The scene in which he and Rey pull it apart is more about Rey trying to grab it to fight him, and him trying to grab it to stop her, rather than to claim the sabre for himself. So, him wanting the sabre back may be entirely beside the point, if he's stepping out of Vader's shadow.
So if Kylo is not after the lightsaber anymore then how is it a factor in Luke messing with him? One or the other.
I can buy that reasoning that it created time to stall him so the resistance can escape even through it probably strengthen Kylo's power. I suppose it was taking a risk though. If the resistance couldn't find a way out, Kylo would have been like Darth Vader at the end of R1 on the resistance while they were backed into a corner.
Was it ever explained how Luke knew there was an exit at the back of the mine?
Nope. And if he did he never bothered to tell anyone.

You make a good point. When he saw Leia, you would have thought he would have said "Ok, here's the plan...." instead of letting everyone try to figure it out and almost get killed.
Not to mention that the Rebels would have found the exit just by following the foxes so all Luke’s heroic sacrifice bought them was a few minutes which considering the walkera were still far away is of questionable impact.

So if Kylo is not after the lightsaber anymore then how is it a factor in Luke messing with him? One or the other.

Nope. And if he did he never bothered to tell anyone.

Maybe it's just him being the epitome of what bothers Ben. The sabre should've been his for whatever reason (admittedly, that's never really well explained in either of the sequels), the Luke he sees is a visual reminder of the Luke who tried to kill him, yadda yadda yadda.

There's another possibility in that the visual isn't meant specifically for Ben, but rather for the wider audience. Luke is embodying Luke Skywalker: Jedi Master and Savior of the Galaxy in His Last Heroic Stand!! So, the visual is of whatever the galaxy as a whole would see as that figure. That includes Ben, but also the wider galaxy, and maybe their "visual" of him is as that figure but with the blue sabre. I dunno.

I mean, yeah, that bit is off a little if you start to pick at it, but then there's stuff in the originals like that, too. Like, how come Han's blaster sounds like he's firing lethal shots in the Falcon in ANH when they lure the guards in, but nobody shows any signs of scorch marks. Or how come the troopers didn't just shoot Luke and Leia's ankles when they got the door open a bit when Luke swings across the bridge?

I tend to view that stuff as minor issues. Noticeable, but not really worth thinking about. I do get that, when someone generally dislikes a film, stuff like that becomes magnified, but since I enjoyed TLJ, I didn't really get bothered by it. The bigger criticisms of the film are, I think, misplaced. The smaller criticisms (like this one) are often valid.

Maybe it's just him being the epitome of what bothers Ben. The sabre should've been his for whatever reason (admittedly, that's never really well explained in either of the sequels), the Luke he sees is a visual reminder of the Luke who tried to kill him, yadda yadda yadda.

There's another possibility in that the visual isn't meant specifically for Ben, but rather for the wider audience. Luke is embodying Luke Skywalker: Jedi Master and Savior of the Galaxy in His Last Heroic Stand!! So, the visual is of whatever the galaxy as a whole would see as that figure. That includes Ben, but also the wider galaxy, and maybe their "visual" of him is as that figure but with the blue sabre. I dunno.

I mean, yeah, that bit is off a little if you start to pick at it, but then there's stuff in the originals like that, too. Like, how come Han's blaster sounds like he's firing lethal shots in the Falcon in ANH when they lure the guards in, but nobody shows any signs of scorch marks. Or how come the troopers didn't just shoot Luke and Leia's ankles when they got the door open a bit when Luke swings across the bridge?

I tend to view that stuff as minor issues. Noticeable, but not really worth thinking about. I do get that, when someone generally dislikes a film, stuff like that becomes magnified, but since I enjoyed TLJ, I didn't really get bothered by it. The bigger criticisms of the film are, I think, misplaced. The smaller criticisms (like this one) are often valid.
Yup, now here is an argument I definitely agree with.

But if that was for the wider audience then where was that wider audience? The Rebels left before he drew the lightsaber.
I disagree with the comparison of the troopers or lack of scorch marks. This is the climax of the movie, the end of the major character and there was a very deliberate and conscious decision to present him in a way but all explanations for that have some flaw in them. I get that you’re fine with it and can enjoy the scene, I’m not trying to tramp on that, simply pointing out that to me it’s just one of the things that are not thiught out at all and with small adjustments could have been fixed easily.

Well, there's one thing we can all agree on: they shouldn't have had Luke using Rey's tepid flat-gripped stunt Graflex.
Amen to that. Not only it looks bad but he holds it so awkwardly, like he never had a swordfight before.

Well, there's one thing we can all agree on: they shouldn't have had Luke using Rey's tepid flat-gripped stunt Graflex.

Wow. I thought I was the only one who noticed that, and how off it made everything feel. Were I in a mood to further rationalize things, I would’ve guessed maybe that that owed to the imperfection of Luke’s memory when manifesting, but no. It just looked like a paper towel roll painted silver with some chunky black details.

Anyhoo- haven’t seen it since it was in the theaters, so I am off to watch it on Netflix.

M

Wow. I thought I was the only one who noticed that, and how off it made everything feel. Were I in a mood to further rationalize things, I would’ve guessed maybe that that owed to the imperfection of Luke’s memory when manifesting, but no. It just looked like a paper towel roll painted silver with some chunky black details.

It's a nitpick to be sure. But in the ST they have elevated the Graflex to mythic, Excalibur levels; there's no excuse for it not being consistent shot to shot, especially scenes where it's front and center. Then there's the poster and of course Luke. And last but not least, the wildly inconsistent saber length, compared from when Snoke is stabbed to when the saber is pulled.

Hey folks, a quick heads up. I just caught it on Netflix. (where it was quite buried! Searching Star Wars and it was literally the second to last result! Doesn’t show up on new arrivals or trending or anything!)

Didn’t see it mentioned here yet, but if for some weird reason you want to rewatch it, it’s there on Netflix for you to.. enjoy?

Hey folks, a quick heads up. I just caught it on Netflix. (where it was quite buried! Searching Star Wars and it was literally the second to last result! Doesn’t show up on new arrivals or trending or anything!)

Didn’t see it mentioned here yet, but if for some weird reason you want to rewatch it, it’s there on Netflix for you to.. enjoy?

That’s interesting. I had previously heard that Disney inked a deal to bring all the Star Wars movies to Netflix, and that started with Rogue 1. They then announced they were going to do their own streaming service, so nothing else would be added besides Rogue. I wonder what changed their mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhotoGrid_1530121168325.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back