Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
So why does she have to quit social media all together? Cant she just block them or delete their comments? Im not big into social media, so Im not too familiar with how you block people etc. Seems kind of dramatic to quit just cause a couple of brain dead idiots. Its like letting the terrorists win. And like some of you have said, its Ruin Johnsons fault, not the actors. She just wanted a damn job in a Star Wars movie, which, before TLJ would have been a dream. Now...maybe not so much...

Sadly, it was more than a couple.

And when you get hate mail, death threats, etc... day after day..eventually you wonder why you should even stay in that place at all. I can see why she did it... i wouldn't want my feed crammed full of negatives either.

She only ever posted positive things on her IG, and though not everything she got back was vitriol, she got far more than she should have.

I have zero problems with feminism in Star Wars.*
Heck - Princess Leia is a feminist ICON.
I was excited that Rey was going to be the new hero...

I just want a good story that respects my childhood heroes and understands the source material.
That's why I hate TLJ. It's just the most disrespectful, stupidly written thing I've ever seen.

* Feminism done right. The kind I grew up with in the '70s. The kind that empowered women without resorting to emasculating men.

I'm curious as to how there's been emasculation in the current films. I haven't really seen it. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, the only thing that comes to mind is Holdo dressing down Poe, but even that I don't see as emasculation, as much as pulling rank. Make Holdo a dude and it's not emasculation at all. Nothing about his masculinity has been attacked; rather, his competence as a commander, and his entitlement to knowing the plan is attacked by a superior officer. But there's nothing in the exchange where she either emphasizes her femininity and superiority because of it as set against his masculinity. In essence, the only reason this entire exchange ends up coming across as emasculating....is because of the visual cues. Everything about Holdo's appearance is feminine. Everything about Poe stands in a masculine contrast to that. But it's just the visuals that are doing this.

Take Laura Dern in a coutoure dress with purple hair, and replace her with, say, Sam Elliot in a military uniform with a high-and-tight haircut, but leave the dialogue exactly the same, and you don't have any air of emasculation.

In other words, the only reason the entire exchange between the two comes across as "sexual politics" is simply because it's a very feminine looking woman talking down to a man to whom we've already given the title of "hero." That's it. It's "emasculating" because it's a woman telling a man to sit down and shut up, when if it were a man telling him exactly the same thing, nobody would bat an eye.

So why does she have to quit social media all together? Cant she just block them or delete their comments? Im not big into social media, so Im not too familiar with how you block people etc. Seems kind of dramatic to quit just cause a couple of brain dead idiots. Its like letting the terrorists win. And like some of you have said, its Ruin Johnsons fault, not the actors. She just wanted a damn job in a Star Wars movie, which, before TLJ would have been a dream. Now...maybe not so much...

See below:

The difference is MASSIVE however.

Mr Rodgers hate mail, or anyone else's hate mail was the topic of national/international conversation/debate a grand total of what? 0 times in his life. Probably no more than acknowledging it existed.

Today, with the morons of the internet, it's blasted out to everyone on the planet where more and more morons pile on to the point it generates news articles and becomes actual news. Hell, you cannot filter it out of your life today whereas you very much could in the days of Mr Rodgers. Hire someone to go through the mail, save it all just in case, but the star never has to see it or deal with it. Today, sure, you can not look at it, but your friends will mention it to you, or photographers looking for a reaction, interviewers, etc. You can't avoid it completely.

Frankly, one of the smartest moves i've seen by an online site is MSN when they ditched comments on articles. It's completely unnecessary and feeds the problem.

And i'm sorry, but much like in school, when a couple people couldn't stop abusing a privileged, everyone lost it. I'm not saying shut down the internet, but maybe shutdown pointless comment sections and public crap

This. The sheer volume of bulls*** that people in the public eye have to contend with if they choose to maintain a social media presence is mindboggling. And that's when you AREN'T associated with something that has generated much controversy within a very intense fandom.

Now, we don't know if Kelly quit because she was emotionally destroyed, or because she saw the vitriol and bile spewed at her and said to herself "Wow. Life is way too short to bother reading this crap. I'm outta here."

Frankly, I really enjoyed Rose's character, and I thought Kelly Marie Tran was a great addition to the cast. The only thing I'd say is that I didn't like the character's haircut, but I'd just blame the hair consultants for that. Hopefully she'll get a new one next film. Hell, Carrie Fisher got TWO in her second film. ;)

I'm curious as to how there's been emasculation in the current films. I haven't really seen it. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, the only thing that comes to mind is Holdo dressing down Poe, but even that I don't see as emasculation, as much as pulling rank. Make Holdo a dude and it's not emasculation at all. Nothing about his masculinity has been attacked; rather, his competence as a commander, and his entitlement to knowing the plan is attacked by a superior officer. But there's nothing in the exchange where she either emphasizes her femininity and superiority because of it as set against his masculinity. In essence, the only reason this entire exchange ends up coming across as emasculating....is because of the visual cues. Everything about Holdo's appearance is feminine. Everything about Poe stands in a masculine contrast to that. But it's just the visuals that are doing this.

Take Laura Dern in a coutoure dress with purple hair, and replace her with, say, Sam Elliot in a military uniform with a high-and-tight haircut, but leave the dialogue exactly the same, and you don't have any air of emasculation.

In other words, the only reason the entire exchange between the two comes across as "sexual politics" is simply because it's a very feminine looking woman talking down to a man to whom we've already given the title of "hero." That's it. It's "emasculating" because it's a woman telling a man to sit down and shut up, when if it were a man telling him exactly the same thing, nobody would bat an eye.

Totally agree.

I didn't like this scene mainly because the character was totally unknown and just appeared out of the ether when we already had established characters that could have taken that part. Doubled down with that whole bit being a mcguffin to shoe the slave horse canto bight nonsense in.

At no point was I thinking about an emasculation of Poe.

I just don't get the whole agenda aspect of the dislike, for me it was just a bad film, badly made.

I'm not arguing whether there's emasculation or not at all, I agree with you. But I felt that the scenes with Holdo and Poe were oozing of sexual tension. At least Holdo looked interested in Poe whereas he was sort of a brick-head, not really noticing it and being too busy with his agenda. I totally expected the two of them to end up together. But then it just went with her "I like him" comment and that's it. Maybe I really just want someone to end up with someone else in these damn new Star Wars movies...:lol Felt similar with Rey and Finn in TFA that sort of fizzled out by the middle of the movie.

KellY Marie was thrown under the bus by Ruin J, with a crap lead role, bad diologue, rotten hair style, and a potato-sack for a costume. Let me just say she should never be personally attacked for TLJ, she did what she was directed to do. And anyone doing so is disgusting!
That being said most stars of film are picked on... Chris Pratt was crapped on for sending prayers to Kevin Smith, not to mention a 4 year old boy dying of cancer, then he was **** on for butchering some animal on his farm for meat....

NO ONE RAISES A FRICKEN EYEBROW because he's a white male......

Guess what Kelly Marrie, put your big girl boots on and take it like a champ because YOU put yourself out there!!!

This isn't the only example.

TLJ sucks because of aweful story telling, worse dirrection, and the inclusion of SJW characters like Holdo.... Not to mention the Joke Skywalker was made into....

FK, KK, Johnston....Get out of our universe you smug Muppets! I can't even explain this tripe to my 10 year old who "loved SW"

This, I am unaware of. When/how did Rian Johnson throw Kelly Marie Tran under the bus? Legitimate question.

Again it illustrates just how markedly this film has divided the fandom who will be the primary buyers for this. These figures pretty much support a lot of what's gradually being recognised that TLJ significantly damaged the franchise.

No, it almost perfectly illustrates the average decline in physical media sales across the industry between those two years. (Also, that TLJ figure is for only the first week.)

Harassing people online is cowadly BS. That's it, no qualifier needed.
There's ZERO excuse, doesn't matter if they made or were involved in a movie you didn't like,even one you hate. The racist and misogynistic crap showing up on her social media is inexcusable. To say "I don't support it, but... it's her own fault for taking the role... it's Johnson's fault for writing crap...her costume looked like a potato sack...etc. That crap doesn't fly, your just making excuses and adding to the problem. You don't have to jump on some irrational racist bandwagon just because you share disdain for a MOVIE with some ass-hats.
To clarify I don't like TLJ, I saw it once and had too look up a picture of Rose when this story came up because I didn't even remember the character. I don't like the creative choices Rian Johnson made, however I don't dislike him as a person. I've never met or spoken with him and only seen clips of interviews with him about this project. I'm sure there's much more to him than just his profession. He probably loves his family and friends, has his own personal joys and tragedies in his life that have nothing to do with Star Wars, just like everyone else.
Regardless of what films we enjoy, dislike or made, we are all human beings. Try to keep that in mind.

Initial Blu Ray sales figures are now out. TLJ has sold 1,940,241 Blu Rays in 3 weeks of release. TFA sold 4,109,159 in it's first 3 weeks. It's a drop of $102 million to $45 million.

That's what gets the attention. When the dust settles, as with any corporation, certain people holding certain positions will be asked to explain why and how so much money was lost. Then they will have to defend that position / answer.

That's when we, the fans, find out what's more important. Whether it be to our benefit or not... :)

No, it almost perfectly illustrates the average decline in physical media sales across the industry between those two years. (Also, that TLJ figure is for only the first week.)
No, thats not it either. It was also announced that TLJ was going to be released on Netflix back in April so why buy it when most people have netflix anyway? Why pay over 20 bucks when you could watch it for "free"?

No, thats not it either. It was also announced that TLJ was going to be released on Netflix back in April so why buy it when most people have netflix anyway? Why pay over 20 bucks when you could watch it for "free"?

Watch it for free? You couldn't pay me to watch TLJ again :lol

Noticed a huge pile of DVD's and Blu-Rays at the store yesterday, seemed like there were few takers.

Noticed a huge pile of DVD's and Blu-Rays at the store yesterday, seemed like there were few takers.

I admit I bought the DVD with the hopes of having my mind changed. I unwrapped the DVD, put it in the player, had my popcorn in hand, dogs were sitting beside me... I was ready! Change and blow my my mind! Let's do it!!!

Fell asleep about 20 min and woke to the ending credits. UGH...

The next night... I sat down ready to watch. Turned it off about 25-30 min in. The ONLY time I ever voluntarily turned off a SW film.

I admit I bought the DVD with the hopes of having my mind changed. I unwrapped the DVD, put it in the player, had my popcorn in hand, dogs were sitting beside me... I was ready! Change and blow my my mind! Let's do it!!!

Fell asleep about 20 min and woke to the ending credits. UGH...

The next night... I sat down ready to watch. Turned it off about 25-30 min in. The ONLY time I ever voluntarily turned off a SW film.

If I know anything about you, SofaKing, it's that you really want to love new Star Wars! So for you to hold these feelings--a mixture of antipathy and apathy--towards TLJ, is startling, and a huge indictment of the film's quality and place in Star Wars lore.

I feel the same way. I tried, on many occasions to see it a second time on the big screen, but I just could not drag myself to the theater. The DVD? Zero interest.

It's criminal. The low-SWIQ hacks responsible ought to be ashamed. But they are not.

The Wook

If I know anything about you, SofaKing, it's that you really want to love new Star Wars! So for you to hold these feelings--a mixture of antipathy and apathy--towards TLJ, is startling, and a huge indictment of the film's quality and place in Star Wars lore.

I feel the same way. I tried, on many occasions to see it a second time on the big screen, but I just could not drag myself to the theater. The DVD? Zero interest.

It's criminal. The low-SWIQ hacks responsible ought to be ashamed. But they are not.

The Wook

I'm starting to think you don't like any Star Wars but ANH and ESB - which is fine of course - but that this SWIQ thing you keep bringing up might be a bad way to judge all these movies called Star Wars. I dunno man, you do you.

FWIW, I really liked TLJ at release and I don't particularly dislike at this point, but I don't find myself going back for rewatches like some of the other films. For me the chase sequence idea doesn't work very well when all I want is to get back to Luke and Rey on Ach-To and that seems to be the bits that got cut the hardest in editing.

this SWIQ thing you keep bringing up might be a bad way to judge all these movies called Star Wars.

It is the only way.

giphy.gif

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back