Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
You say there was only one way to go, but Rian has spoken at great length about his writing process and the reasons behind his decisions. He's specifically said that he didn't have any directive and didn't have or use anything given to him, written by Lucas or otherwise.

I meant one good logical way to go with the story......I should have clarified, sorry:D

You say there was only one way to go, but Rian has spoken at great length about his writing process and the reasons behind his decisions. He's specifically said that he didn't have any directive and didn't have or use anything given to him, written by Lucas or otherwise.

Here's the thing. We can deduce that some of the basic ideas survived. In January of 2013 there's a big meeting at Lucasfilm, with George present.(this is only meeting of new films where George is present) Alot of art is shown, including ideas for the first Jedi temple, one of which is approved by George. By February 2013, the concept art for Luke has taken a shift. Now he's seen in various states of depression. In two he's just sitting letting sand pour on top of him, slowly burying him, and he doesn't even care. In one he's imagining the two suns of Tatooine. In another he's being haunted by a Dark Side specter. Also in February Doug Chiang paints Luke's x-wing submerged in the waters of a sea.
And for comparisons sake, Rian submits his first draft for TLJ March 4th 2015.

Here's the thing. We can deduce that some of the basic ideas survived. In January of 2013 there's a big meeting at Lucasfilm, with George present.(this is only meeting of new films where George is present) Alot of art is shown, including ideas for the first Jedi temple, one of which is approved by George. By February 2013, the concept art for Luke has taken a shift. Now he's seen in various states of depression. In two he's just sitting letting sand pour on top of him, slowly burying him, and he doesn't even care. In one he's imagining the two suns of Tatooine. In another he's being haunted by a Dark Side specter. Also in February Doug Chiang paints Luke's x-wing submerged in the waters of a sea.
And for comparisons sake, Rian submits his first draft for TLJ March 4th 2015.

He submitted his first script draft then, but he finished the basic story in August of 2014. An X wing in the sea isn't much in the scheme of the story, and the Jedi temple George approved was a bell-like structure that wasn't used. I still don't see this affecting the bottom line that JJ had a vision in place, Rian had a different take an ran with it, as was his right. According to Rian, whatever planning took place before he was around, he wasn't privy to it and it wasn't an influence on his story.

He submitted his first script draft then, but he finished the basic story in August of 2014. An X wing in the sea isn't much in the scheme of the story, and the Jedi temple George approved was a bell-like structure that wasn't used. I still don't see this affecting the bottom line that JJ had a vision in place, Rian had a different take an ran with it, as was his right. According to Rian, whatever planning took place before he was around, he wasn't privy to it and it wasn't an influence on his story.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that he didn't follow anything that J.J. may have had. My big thing is the idea that a down and out Luke was there from the very beginning. People are always putting the blame on Rian for the way Luke is. And while he fleshed out Luke's arc in TLJ, the foundation for Luke was laid in the early days of TFA. It's very telling the shift in how Luke is portrayed from before the meeting in Jan 2013 to after the meeting.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that he didn't follow anything that J.J. may have had. My big thing is the idea that a down and out Luke was there from the very beginning. People are always putting the blame on Rian for the way Luke is. And while he fleshed out Luke's arc in TLJ, the foundation for Luke was laid in the early days of TFA. It's very telling the shift in how Luke is portrayed from before the meeting in Jan 2013 to after the meeting.

You can ignore the interviews and cling to some early concept art but RJ wrote the film, it's pretty clear it was his baby. Luke being depressed or down and out is a big understatement to his character in TLJ. Even if the script were penned by Lucas it would still suck. (IMO)

You can ignore the interviews and cling to some early concept art but RJ wrote the film, it's pretty clear it was his baby. Luke being depressed or down and out is a big understatement to his character in TLJ. Even if the script were penned by Lucas it would still suck. (IMO)

So let me put this way, as I'm bad conveying my thoughts :lol

The interviews are about if Rian followed JJ's plans, and the resounding answer is no.

What I am suggesting is that Rian followed, or maybe a better word would be, was inspired by stuff that was originally done for TFA. Stuff that got shelved when the timeline of TFA was shifted back. We know for instance that as he started developing his story when he spent 5 days with Rick Carter. They'd go on long walks just talking, bouncing ideas back and forth.

I can’t believe they would be out and public and talk about this stuff? Maybe all code names and stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t believe they would be out and public and talk about this stuff? Maybe all code names and stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well wasn't it Sherlock Holmes who said the best place to hide something, is in plain sight. As that is the last place anyone would ever think to look :lol

You know a lot of the issues with Luke being on Achto could have been easily remedied by a very simple change. For me the logical conclusion would have been that Luke was not on a self imposed exile but had been banished. After his screw up with Kylo the people in charge would have told him "thanks but no thanks, we don't need you around anymore if this is the best you can do" For me this would have made better sense and then the people that told him to take a hike would have had to come asking for his help. Easy for me to rewrite a movie once it is out but that is just my 2 cents :)

The "people in Charge"?

In charge of Whom? There was no more Jedi council. As far as the Jedi Order, Luke was IT.

Besides... his self conviction is far more powerful and impacts his character in a much more meaningful way than some arbitrary order from someone in the Republic governmental structure.

It's pretty obvious that there is some juicy details they didn't want us to know from Rinzler's book and by firing him it says volumes to that.

A real shame because I love seeing stuff behind the scenes.

Was Rinzler fired?

In a little interview I read, he said he was co-writing The Making of The Force Awakens. But it seems like he was slowly on his way out from Lucasfilm so he didn't get heavily involved with the book. In fact he never was on set of TFA. The guy that was, Mark Vaz, was the one doing most of the writing.

Was Rinzler fired?

In a little interview I read, he said he was co-writing The Making of The Force Awakens. But it seems like he was slowly on his way out from Lucasfilm so he didn't get heavily involved with the book. In fact he never was on set of TFA. The guy that was, Mark Vaz, was the one doing most of the writing.

IIRC the TFA book was finished and Amazon preorders were up. Disney cancelled the book and it's never been released, and Rinzler wasn't invited to make a TLJ book. He seemed to imply that Disney really didn't want details of TFA's development out there, as it could potentially spoil IX or perhaps entire other trilogies they want to make from rejected TFA ideas.

Didn't he set up a blog titled The Rise and Fall of Star Wars chronicling the behind the scenes of the Prequels and was supposed to also go into the acquisition by Disney but was abruptly taken down by you-know-who before it reached "The Fall" part? He parted ways with LFL right after that if I remember correctly.

The winner of this year’s Debate Contest, ladies and gentlemen.

You know I was tIred and didn't feel writing out something long. And I'm pretty sure you guys have all heard my opinions. And no one's changing, so it would be like talking to a brick wall.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back