Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
It's not a matter of caving to the fans. You don't openly insult your customers. That's what I have a problem with.

You are essentially telling me that my opinions aren't worth anything. The fact that you put the words, fans, and valid in quotation marks is exactly the kind of behaviour that elicits angry responses, as if to assume that because I don't blindly love everything that comes out of Lucasfilm that I am somehow less of a fan than you are. It's the kind of mentality that has been exhibited by Lucasfilm and it's the reason why people are so pissed off.

Neither one of our opinions is going to make a difference in Lucasfilm plans for future content. I just don't want to be accused of being something I'm not because I didn't like a movie.

Quick question if you don't mind?

Did you not like TLJ because you thought it was just a bad film, or because you think it ruined the lore of Star Wars?

I apologize if you've answered this before

I think it's a bad film and didn't honor the Star Wars lore. I've mostly moved on from the movie itself though because I'm no longer invested in the stories Disney is choosing to tell.

I think it's necessary to have different opinions. I encourage it. I can say to you I think you're wrong but I can still respect that you are entitled to your opinion because that's what mature adults do. We are all fans.

My issue is more with the way Lucasfilm has handled those like me who dislike the movie than with the movie itself. Rather than just say these new stories may not be for all fans, they choose to not just dismiss anyone who disagrees with them, but call them names. I take issue with that. Ignore my opinion, fine, but don't insult me. I sincerely don't get why people love this movie but if you do, then I am genuinely happy for you. I say that with no malice in my heart.

Last edited:
So this idiotic "russian troll" theory..

This "study" features the same crowd upset about certain events and scream at the sky. The answer is always the same for them. Russian trolls.

Last edited by a moderator:
mar7wxpcwup11.jpg
ac7pjlbfdyp11.jpg

So this idiotic "russian troll" theory..

https://youtu.be/V8BtYu8sJd8

This "study" features the same crowd upset about certain events and scream at the sky. The answer is always the same for them. Russian trolls.

The facts are, that Rian started getting tweets from Russian accounts while he was working on the film. Now did a large portion of the negative tweets directed towards TLJ come from Russian accounts? Most likely not.

The facts are, that Rian started getting tweets from Russian accounts while he was working on the film. Now did a large portion of the negative tweets directed towards TLJ come from Russian accounts? Most likely not.

The data is debunked. The study is invalid. The point is mute.

The study looks like Aayla Secura after Clone Commander Bly and the Nova Corps shot her full of holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The data is debunked. The study is invalid. The point is mute.

The study looks like Aayla Secura after Clone Commander Bly and the Nova Corps shot her full of holes.

https://youtu.be/j75d8yaaQ4M

From 'The Director and the Jedi'

Rian- "Did I tell you this? I've gotten a rush of tweets, coordinated tweets, like somewhere else on the internet, there's a group saying, 'Okay everyone tweet Rian Johnson at the same time.' All from Russian accounts, and all begging me not to kill Admiral Hux in this movie."

Someone across the table- "Are you serious?" (laughs)

Rian- "Russian accounts exclusively. Look at this. 'General Hux, lovely personality, if you kill him in the new episode my heart can't take it, #HuxLive.'"

(more laughing).......

There are two possibilities here.. Disney just didn’t make a very good movie, and a lot of fans weren’t happy with it OR foreign countries participated in a coordinated effort to single-handedly derail and sway public opinion over the reaction to said film.

Do any of you actually think the second one is the most plausible explanation???

No matter what your feelings on TLJ, you’re just going to have to face facts that there are a lot of people who didn’t like it. Those people came from all over the world too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There are two possibilities here.. Disney just didn’t make a very good movie, and a lot of fans weren’t happy with it OR foreign countries participated in a coordinated effort to single-handedly derail and sway public opinion over the reaction to said film.

Do any of you actually think the second one is the most plausible explanation???

No matter what your feelings on TLJ, you’re just going to have to face facts that there are a lot of people who didn’t. Those people came from all over the world too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Careful, that kind of talk here will get you blacklisted. :lol

If I hadn't heard this first in TLJ documentary. I'd probably be rolling my eyes and thinking the guy had watched to many James Bond films.

My issue is more with the way Lucasfilm has handled those like me who dislike the movie than with the movie itself. Rather than just say these new stories may not be for all fans, they choose to not just dismiss anyone who disagrees with them, but call them names. I take issue with that. Ignore my opinion, fine, but don't insult me. I sincerely don't get why people love this movie but if you do, then I am genuinely happy for you. I say that with no malice in my heart.

Hang on a second.

Has LFL actually dismissed or insulted fans like you specifically? Have they actually called fans like you names?

Most of what I've seen has been LFL ignoring fans like you (I'll get to that in a minute) and only choosing to respond to/call out the genuinely toxic fans who express racist, sexist sentiment about the film.

Other fans who like the film may have lumped you and others like you in with that group (and, certainly in your case, I'd say that's deeply unfair and incorrect), but I haven't seen LFL itself actually just say "Anyone who didn't like this movie is a racist/sexist/troll and we don't give a crap what they think."

What I actually see more of is that the toxic fans seek cover in the crowd of otherwise legitimately unhappy fans and try to make this seem as if they're all being treated equally...but they aren't. I think LFL mostly just ignores the fans who simply didn't like the movie (e.g., fans who wanted to see Luke go kick more butt or whatever, or who think Luke's arc wasn't effectively told). But that's really nothing new. I mean, fans complain about movies all the time without getting toxic about it, and most of the time, the movie's creators just...ignore it. There's not much to be said. They're making the movies they want to make. You didn't like it. Ok, that's a shame, but...it's not like they're going to radically change the direction of their filmmaking to suit you. Certainly, they aren't going to tell you that. Mostly they will look at the numbers and figure that if they're still making good money, they don't have anything to really worry about. I mean, I would have thought that, following Star Trek 09 or Star Trek Into Darkness that you'd see some kind of course correction, but....nah. They just did Star Trek Beeyond and it was (at least what I watched of it before I turned it off out of boredom) largely the same as what came before. Granted, I didn't try to engage in a "boycott" or engineer some social media campaign or rant on a 25-part series of youtube videos about it, but I didn't really see much response to fan complaints, other than JJ's "Warp Nacelle Monthly" comment, especially after the films opened.

Being ignored is frustrating, especially when it's about something in entertainment that you love, but...that's pretty much how these things go. Filmmakers aren't going to respond because, short of saying "You're absolutely right, and the next one will be TOTALLY DIFFERENT!" there's nothing they can say that will make fans happy. And that's before you take into account the effect of warring tribes of fans going at it online.

Debunked.

"More importantly, it is impossible to make generalized, sweeping statements about the state of the Star Wars discourse from this one particular study. It is, by Bay's own admissions, limited in the conclusions that it can draw. It is hampered by a proportionately small sample size and prone to bias. It's misleading to say "half" when not every single Star Wars "hater" was used in the dataset."

https://www.cnet.com/news/actually-half-of-the-last-jedi-haters-were-not-russian-trolls/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...uthored-study-says-not-exactly/?noredirect=on

Last edited:
Debunked.

"More importantly, it is impossible to make generalized, sweeping statements about the state of the Star Wars discourse from this one particular study. It is, by Bay's own admissions, limited in the conclusions that it can draw. It is hampered by a proportionately small sample size and prone to bias. It's misleading to say "half" when not every single Star Wars "hater" was used in the dataset."

https://www.cnet.com/news/actually-half-of-the-last-jedi-haters-were-not-russian-trolls/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...uthored-study-says-not-exactly/?noredirect=on

Their fee-fees don't care about data or bias around here! If you keep dropping hard to swallow pills they will screech at you until you have to accept you are "wrong." :lol

Hang on a second.

Has LFL actually dismissed or insulted fans like you specifically? Have they actually called fans like you names?

Most of what I've seen has been LFL ignoring fans like you (I'll get to that in a minute) and only choosing to respond to/call out the genuinely toxic fans who express racist, sexist sentiment about the film.

Other fans who like the film may have lumped you and others like you in with that group (and, certainly in your case, I'd say that's deeply unfair and incorrect), but I haven't seen LFL itself actually just say "Anyone who didn't like this movie is a racist/sexist/troll and we don't give a crap what they think."

What I actually see more of is that the toxic fans seek cover in the crowd of otherwise legitimately unhappy fans and try to make this seem as if they're all being treated equally...but they aren't. I think LFL mostly just ignores the fans who simply didn't like the movie (e.g., fans who wanted to see Luke go kick more butt or whatever, or who think Luke's arc wasn't effectively told). But that's really nothing new. I mean, fans complain about movies all the time without getting toxic about it, and most of the time, the movie's creators just...ignore it. There's not much to be said. They're making the movies they want to make. You didn't like it. Ok, that's a shame, but...it's not like they're going to radically change the direction of their filmmaking to suit you. Certainly, they aren't going to tell you that. Mostly they will look at the numbers and figure that if they're still making good money, they don't have anything to really worry about. I mean, I would have thought that, following Star Trek 09 or Star Trek Into Darkness that you'd see some kind of course correction, but....nah. They just did Star Trek Beeyond and it was (at least what I watched of it before I turned it off out of boredom) largely the same as what came before. Granted, I didn't try to engage in a "boycott" or engineer some social media campaign or rant on a 25-part series of youtube videos about it, but I didn't really see much response to fan complaints, other than JJ's "Warp Nacelle Monthly" comment, especially after the films opened.

Being ignored is frustrating, especially when it's about something in entertainment that you love, but...that's pretty much how these things go. Filmmakers aren't going to respond because, short of saying "You're absolutely right, and the next one will be TOTALLY DIFFERENT!" there's nothing they can say that will make fans happy. And that's before you take into account the effect of warring tribes of fans going at it online.

And isn't Lucasfilm trying to appeal to the diverse fandom? We have The Clone Wars coming back. Resistance is coming out very soon. We have Jon Favreau's The Mandalorian series coming out. Rian's films. GoT guy's films. A lot of different Star Wars coming out, and being told by very different story tellers. All, I'd guess, aiming at different chunk of the fandom. In a attempt (vain attempt in my opinion) to satisfy everyone.

I'm not delusional enough to think that just because I hated the movie, or for that matter just because you loved the movie, that it will in any way affect Disney's plans for future Star Wars content. They are going to keep making movies as long as the money is there. It was the same in the Lucas era as well in terms of him releasing films that he wanted and not caving to fan expectations.

I understand that they can't please everyone because let's face it the fan tastes are so diverse that it's literally impossible to make EVERYONE happy. I'm simply not interested in what they are doing with the series. I don't care for the Clone Wars cartoon, I think Resistance looks terrible, I don't want to even acknowledge that Rian Johnson is getting his own trilogy, I have no clue nor do I care thus far about what the GOT guys are doing, and I have minimal interest in The Mandalorian. Though if I HAD to choose between any of those to watch I would go with the Mandalorean. Plus there is Episode 9. That's 6 different sources of content for new Star Wars Stories and I don't have much desire to see any of them. How sad is that?

As often as I posted/ debated here and elsewhere about it, I never felt compelled enough to do a YouTube video about it though I could certainly understand why some people have. I think for many, debates about this have been a cathartic exercise to help them cope with what they perceive as a slight. I'm sure that a lot of toxic fans (sexist, etc) have taken cover under my umbrella called dissatisfaction, but I think many in the Lucasfilm camp have unfairly lumped us together. That's what I take issue with.

As far as Solo, I get WHY people boycotted it. I didn't see much point in making a campaign to do so. I simply wasn't interested enough to bother seeing it and what I did see in trailers and subsequently reviews didn't sway me enough to bother trying to catch it after the fact. Which is a shame because I heard it wasn't that bad of a movie and I really love Ron Howard as a director. In some respects feeling mostly apathetic with the series has not only saddened me, but in a positive light has helped me move in to other things.

Of all the reactions from the cast and crew of TLJ in response to the backlash from fans I love Oscar Isaac's response best because he didn't take pot shots at the fans and he summed up pretty much how I feel at this point in the game. Take something negative and use it as motivation for something positive. I'm not about to write some crappy fan fiction of my version of 7, 8, and 9. That's a waste of my time. I'd much rather use that frustration and write my own original stories.

Despite releasing to critical acclaim, Star Wars: The Last Jedi proved divisive among some of the franchise’s fans. Oscar Isaac, who stars as Poe Dameron in The Last Jedi, has now given some good advice to those who disliked the movie.

“What I think is really special about the whole thing — particularly for people that really didn’t agree with where the story went — is that it’s often a great inspiration to do your own stuff,” Isaac told Yahoo! Entertainment. “Obviously, making your own Star Wars movie is a bit of a tough challenge, but at least from a narrative standpoint maybe you make your own thing and then show what you would want. Make what you would want to see.”

...Despite releasing to critical acclaim, Star Wars: The Last Jedi proved divisive among some of the franchise’s fans. Oscar Isaac, who stars as Poe Dameron in The Last Jedi, has now given some good advice to those who disliked the movie.

“What I think is really special about the whole thing — particularly for people that really didn’t agree with where the story went — is that it’s often a great inspiration to do your own stuff,” Isaac told Yahoo! Entertainment. “Obviously, making your own Star Wars movie is a bit of a tough challenge, but at least from a narrative standpoint maybe you make your own thing and then show what you would want. Make what you would want to see.”

What a load of crap. If we don't like their SW films we should make our own? Maybe the makers of these films should be making their own original stuff instead of ****ing on someone else's work.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back