Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
From the article link above

[h=2]Breaking Expectations[/h]It’s easy to imagine Rian Johnson watching The Force Awakens and being thrilled. It’s a thrilling movie. It does that. It’s also easy to imagine Rian Johnson watching The Force Awakens and noting, “This Supreme Leader Snoke guy kinda sucks. I should do something about that.”
Despite being positioned as the Big Bad of the new trilogy, the overlord pulling the strings, Supreme Leader Snoke barely leaves an impression during his appearances in both Star Wars movies. His generic flavor of Almighty Galaxy-Destroying Jerk is something we’ve seen several times in Star Wars and countless times elsewhere. He’s dull. He’s especially dull when compared to the angsty, flawed, and powerfully human Ben Solo/Kylo Ren, played with such intensity and raw pain by Adam Driver.
But The Last Jedi knows our expectations. It knows that we think Snoke will remain a threat through the next movie and that Ben will find redemption. It focuses on Ben’s internal conflict as it showcases Snoke’s incredible power. As the son of Han Solo grows more sympathetic, his leader grows more godlike, revealing a command of the Force that allows him to flick enemies and allies alike around his throne room like gnats. The Last Jedi makes Kylo Ren more vulnerable as it makes Supreme Leader Snoke more unstoppable.
So yes, the death of Snoke is a disarming twist and a beautifully staged one – Snoke’s command of the Force bites him in the ass when he reads Ben’s feelings and intentions but cannot understand where they’re pointed. One little Force push from Ben Solo and Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber is activated, cutting the Supreme Leader in half and ending his reign of terror an entire movie earlier than anyone expected. It’s shocking. It’s hilarious. It’s bound to anger fans who have spent the past two years attempting to discern the identity of Snoke. Quite frankly, The Last Jedi doesn’t care about Snoke and it reacts accordingly – your Snoke theory never mattered because Snoke never mattered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Lord.

When Laura dern entered the scene, the idiot next to me yelled out, "why are all the chicks in charge???"

I almost punched him

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Disgusting. I'm glad I didn't have anything like that when I saw it. Nothing but positivity when she did the hyperspace thing. Including what sounded like a middle aged man exclaiming"dude she was awesome!"

haha I know I'm going to get flamed for this quote in THIS forum but I think this speaks to a lot of why a lot of people in this forum did not like it.

That is great, no heat from me!
Personally I just didn't like the mainly dull story and it's bad direction. Loved the idiot men actions. Just wish washed out Luke had been written better.

Half way through..

"bathroom break"

"ok what did I miss"

shrugs shoulders

"where you watching?"

Im trying

"are you following this?"

not really

Thats pretty much how it went...

And for the record (as a middle aged white male whose married to a middle aged white woman and 2 kids).. we both agree that we can give 2 shakes of a lightsaber what, sex, race, creed or species a hero(s) or main character is. All I asked for was a decent SW movie. If your going to take the role and responsibility of producing, directing, making and distributing of a brand named StarWars!!.. then by golly, do so.
I used to refer to attack of the clones as an good adventure with a lot of great places to go to the bathroom

blah.jpg

It doesn't really matter about the score....the film is terrible for a Star Wars fan....general cinema goers don't see the stupidity

J
For me, this comes down to film making, not being a star wars fan. This film has terrible pacing, structure, dialogue and humour. And I do have a problem with the fact that it doesn't follow the same rules. Yoda and palpatine are the most powerful force users in the Galaxy. Let that be a fact that they shape the new stories around.

I personally don't have a problem with the plot or the character choices. Most of my issues with Luke we're about the comedy. (Does everyone have to sound like the guardians of the Galaxy?)

If this new trilogy didn't have the falcon, it wouldn't bother me. If there wasn't a Luke, no problem.

As long as they crafted a giant space opera that connected into the world of the 6 films before it, I would be more than happy.

(Why aren't they using any of the alien species that we've already established? This new series seems to rip off so much, yet chooses to distance itself in many other ways)

I feel like The Force Awakens was the set up of all these "wonderful new mysteries" with the promise of "answers to come" (i.e. "Lost"), but this chapter didn't really deliver for me. While I relatively enjoyed The Force Awakens (which at the time felt more like a pilot for a tv series as opposed to a stand-alone film), I accepted it for its flaws because it *felt* like / implied that there was this promise of those answers...

One thing that does bug me: Padme's death: dumb. Kirk's death in Generations: dumb. Solo's death: eh, okay. Luke's: same. These characters are cinematic icons - not that they all need grand heroic deaths, but still, something, I don't know, different then what we got... At least for me, your mileage may vary...

The humor thing is a no win situation. If you have no attempts at it people will complain that the movie is too dark and if you do throw in some comedy people will criticize them for trying to be like Marvel(who does humor better than anyone in the business right now). Personally I thought some of the funny lines hit the mark and others failed, but I have no problem with them at least trying to lighten things up a bit. I do think TFA was funnier even though I felt Finn was trying way too hard in that film and became annoying as it went on.

What was the time frame for this movie ? Like a week or a couple of days from TFA ended? Rey's story picks up right where it ended in TFA. Then Finn and the asian girl goes on their mission and they only have a few hour to get back. It was very confusing.

Every thing happens in 18 hours as directly addressed in movie when FO and Resistance state they have 18 hours of fuel left. Poe reminds Finn the urgency of his mission and then a comment is made about 6 hours of fuel left.

When resistance abandons ship and escape to Crait then the 18 hours of fuel is exhausted and immediately afterwards the final battle starts. So basically everything including the events on Achto with Luke and Rey happen within 19 hours or less. This is the Canon made in the film. Yes, a major plot hole and WTF MOMENT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The humor thing is a no win situation. If you have no attempts at it people will complain that the movie is too dark and if you do throw in some comedy people will criticize them for trying to be like Marvel(who does humor better than anyone in the business right now). Personally I thought some of the funny lines hit the mark and others failed, but I have no problem with them at least trying to lighten things up a bit. I do think TFA was funnier even though I felt Finn was trying way too hard in that film and became annoying as it went on.

I did not have a problem with the humor in the movie but I did have a problem with the WTF MOMENTS that were cringe worthy. FROZEN SPACE SUPERMAN MARY POPPINS LEIA! RIP Princess Carrie Fisher. You deserved better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like TFA, it was just too much.

Did the OT have humor?.. yes.. but not half as much. "walking carpet", but then there was a long break before another crack. And humor doesnt always have to be spoken.. Han running chasing storm troopers.. then running into a whole battalion of them and chased back.. very funny.. no dialog. Chewy growling at the mouse looking floor droid.. again.. no dialog..very funny.. and SHORT!!.. not drawn out. "Scruffy looking nerf hearder".. "whose scruffy looking?".. then that was it.. Completely different humor.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back