Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Where Snoke really delivered was the Throne room sequence. It played out like a literal mirror of ROTJ but in this case Vader kills Palpatine first and then tempts Luke.

The weird thing is all of that happened in the MIDDLE of the MIDDLE part of a trilogy. Like where do you go from there..this movie blew most of the trilogy's load in one movie.

I wonder what happened to the Knights of Ren. Why do we only see them in TFA for 2 seconds in Rey's "vision" and then nothing else about them? I would have loved to have seen something like Luke and Rey facing off against Kylo and his army, but I guess that's not going to happen. :(

Where Snoke really delivered was the Throne room sequence. It played out like a literal mirror of ROTJ but in this case Vader kills Palpatine first and then tempts Luke.
I was thinking this same thing. And I was surprised when Snoke got sliced so easily.

That said, the shock value was good!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I wonder what happened to the Knights of Ren. Why do we only see them in TFA for 2 seconds in Rey's "vision" and then nothing else about them? I would have loved to have seen something like Luke and Rey facing off against Kylo and his army, but I guess that's not going to happen. :(

Perhaps the Pratoreon Gaurds? They seemed pretty skilled.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking this same thing. And I was surprised when Snoke got sliced so easily.

That said, the shock value was good!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hubris. Pride goeth before the fall. :) And Kylo did a neat trick to fool Snoke as he was giving the play by play!

The weird thing is all of that happened in the MIDDLE of the MIDDLE part of a trilogy. Like where do you go from there..this movie blew most of the trilogy's load in one movie.

Good. Better that than dragging out the expected beats for three movies. Now they might have to come up with something original!

Well, I just got back from seeing this which I really had not planned on doing until next weekend. Just happened to drive by a theater that didn't have much of a line up because it was a matinee showing.

My overall impression of the film was that it was an infantile fan film with a big budget. I have to say though it did have some very good moments as well, but those seemed to be sadly undermined by some genuinely corny/ goofy elements. Some stuff was genuinely cringe worthy and some people in the audience were laughing because of how bad it was. It was almost like watching two different films at the same time. So many wasted opportunities. More later...

OK, so they built the whole PT around how Palpatine created the Empire. But we can't expect a little background on the main antagonist of this new trilogy?

The point about Vader is that, is the family connection required to the story? Which is essentially the rebellion against the empire. No, but it makes the story interesting and gives gravitas. Which we are now lacking in this trilogy due to pooch being mounted over the use of Snoke's character.
The funny thing is that originally Vader and Anakin were two different people. Cleary Snoke was just the catalyst for Kylo to become evil. Now Kylo is the main bad guy, so while Im disappointed we didnt get to know how Snoke came to be, I dont care because I thought the idea of snoke was stupid anyway. Everything about the character is half baked. So who cares what his back story is. Im annoyed they didnt say how Maz got lukes lightsaber, and what the hell happened with the knights of ren? Kinda bummed about Finns relationship with Rose, thought that was weird, dumb, and took away from him and Rey.

Thinking about Snoke's need for backstory, I REALLY hope 9 answers some basic questions. Think about ESB...was Vader reaaaally Luke's dad? Who was that navigator on the spice freighter then? We found out in ROTJ. OWK lied. Now we know.

So I'm guessing RJ didn't want to answer every question. Gotta save some for 9. Hopefully it's dealt with. JJ has to know fans want some rudimentary info.

Tldr: I think we can't really judge TLJ fairly until 9 comes out. (I still loved it though, as did, crucially for the franchise, my two teens).

Let's assume that the remainder of people left on this thread at least want to talk about details this film as it is, good or bad.
My feelings are made clear in my first post in this thread.

Can we remember What yoda said? Writers obviously thought about it a lot. Mark an Frank went along with it.
I can't quite remember.

The funny thing is that originally Vader and Anakin were two different people. Cleary Snoke was just the catalyst for Kylo to become evil. Now Kylo is the main bad guy, so while Im disappointed we didnt get to know how Snoke came to be, I dont care because I thought the idea of snoke was stupid anyway. Everything about the character is half baked. So who cares what his back story is. Im annoyed they didnt say how Maz got lukes lightsaber, and what the hell happened with the knights of ren? Kinda bummed about Finns relationship with Rose, thought that was weird, dumb, and took away from him and Rey.
I care!

And about the other things you mention too.

Snoke, the saber, Knights of Ren, were all built up to part of this universe and to mean something, and all were literally and figuratively tossed over a shoulder without a second thought. If that was part 2 of any other franchise we would all be turned off by it. It is poor story telling, plain and simple.

I can forgive a lot of the film's flaws, but the Snoke thing really bugs me because you can't just have a "Supreme Leader" who lured Kylo away from Luke to the Dark Side and then not explain anything at all about who he is, where he came from, how he got so poweful, etc. That's just a really huge fail by Rian Johnson IMHO.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back