Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Yeah , but you’ve got to admit that this trailer was promoting / showcasing Daisy Ridleys’ - Rey character moreso than the Ben Solo / Kylo Ren one , when Luke was speaking about his family .
As it’s turned out ( at least so far ) ... it was very misleading - No !? ;)
Misleading? Not at all - no one is shown on screen when Luke says "you have that power too" (while Vader's mask is when he mentions his father, he and R2 when he says "I have it," and Leia is seen taking the Skywalker lightsaber from Maz when he says his sister has it). I don't think there was any intentional misleading... it was a cool quote that they lifted from the OT and it lent itself to this trailer.

Agreed . I don’t think there was intentional misleading either . At least not on JJ’s part ( paying homage to the OT ) .... It just seemed to turn out that way by TLJ .

Anyhoo , this is neither here nor there in the larger scheme of things !

Ged:thumbsup

Anyone find it interesting that Colin Trevorrow promised a "profoundly satisfying" answer to Rey's parents, and then he got fired and his drafts got scrapped? Didn't think much of it when it happened, but after seeing TLJ and what Disney/RJ consider satisfying, it's made me wonder if he had something really good in mind but it couldn't work with the visionary expectation-shattering spectacle that was TLJ.
Yep, the really interesting thing is that when Mark was asked about Colin he said he was sorry that he had to go because they really saw eye to eye regarding the character of Luke and where the story went. Which is more than strange in view of TLJ and suggests that Colin had a completely different direction than where TLJ took both. It obviously might have been just a polite political statement but Mark is known to speak his mind.

Yep, the really interesting thing is that when Mark was asked about Colin he said he was sorry that he had to go because they really saw eye to eye regarding the character of Luke and where the story went. Which is more than strange in view of TLJ and suggests that Colin had a completely different direction than where TLJ took both. It obviously might have been just a polite political statement but Mark is known to speak his mind.

Colin would have known as soon as he was hired Luke's story arc in TLJ, so not sure how that all make sense. Whatever his view of Luke was had to be inclusive of the TLJ content.

Colin would have known as soon as he was hired Luke's story arc in TLJ, so not sure how that all make sense. Whatever his view of Luke was had to be inclusive of the TLJ content.

Your guess is as good as mine. Interesting he mentions that they were on the same page even regarding the "current" state of Luke. But I'll refrain from jumping to conclusions regarding this and Colin's comments on Rey's parentage lest I'll be told about tinfoil hats. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I never cared at all for fan fiction, but the other day I was looking for something to listen to during walks and I bumped into this one amnd ended up listening to the whole thing from start to finish..

https://youtu.be/9BWlIdbjG60

A tad too many wink-winks in the beginning that could be cut and the dialogue can be made tighter but boy, I find this guy's first draft so much more interesting than Rian's first draft.
Also I think @Keycube will find his Ben Solo in this story.
Although narratively, that is so much better, it's a pretty slow way to start off a star wars movie

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q35l3Vxca4

Your guess is as good as mine. Interesting he mentions that they were on the same page even regarding the "current" state of Luke. But I'll refrain from jumping to conclusions regarding this and Colin's comments on Rey's parentage lest I'll be told about tinfoil hats. :)

Rian had finished his story as early as August 2014, so it’s impossible Colin had any ideas that could have conflicted with Rian’s. It sounds like Mark is referring to a Force ghost Luke which I think is almost a certainty for 9, as written by Collin and now JJ.

Rian had finished his story as early as August 2014, so it’s impossible Colin had any ideas that could have conflicted with Rian’s. It sounds like Mark is referring to a Force ghost Luke which I think is almost a certainty for 9, as written by Collin and now JJ.

Its quite possible that Luke's ascendency to the force was not locked in to the script at that time.

Girls can't relate to male SW characters. Apparently!

https://youtu.be/3Eg87CszLGs

Seems like KK has created a lie in her head and is now perpetuating it, to the detriment of the ongoing SW movies.

That's not what she said at all. She said there "There was an ASSUMPTION that girls couldn't relate to Star Wars characters like Luke Skywalker" meaning they could relate but were ASSUMED to not care. Did you even watch the video?

Its quite possible that Luke's ascendency to the force was not locked in to the script at that time.

I would have a hard time believing that considering the story was complete in 2014, at that point everyone involved would have known Luke dies and becomes one with the Force. This is over a year before TFA even came out.

She says 'I think there was an assumption that little girls weren't identitying with characters like Luke Skywalker or Han Solo but only with Princess Leia'. (not quoted verbatim)

- - - Updated - - -

That's not what she said at all. She said there "There was an ASSUMPTION that girls couldn't relate to Star Wars characters like Luke Skywalker" meaning they could relate but were ASSUMED to not care. Did you even watch the video?

Yes Bryan, I watched the video but I listened as well! So who exactly made the ASSUMPTION then?

She says 'I think there was an assumption that little girls weren't identitying with characters like Luke Skywalker or Han Solo but only with Princess Leia'. (not quoted verbatim)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes Bryan, I watched the video but I listened as well! So who exactly made the ASSUMPTION then?

The film industry in general and LucasFilm in particular back in the day. Just look at the marketing material from Kenner and their ads were solely directed at boys. I have seen internal memo's from Hasbro discussing Star Wars as a boys brand. So that was the industry assumption. What KK is saying is that there were and are female fans of characters like Luke who have never been properly addressed or serviced with a viable female lead hero character. So she feels the assumption was wrong and they are addressing that with the new films.

I would have a hard time believing that considering the story was complete in 2014, at that point everyone involved would have known Luke dies and becomes one with the Force. This is over a year before TFA even came out.

Just look at the evidence. If Rogue one can reshoot and restructure the narrative months before release, it is entirely possible Luke's fate was not locked in to the script back then.

What needs addressing and servicing is the writing of characters that an audience can relate to and empathise with before they even think of assigning gender or race.
Luke's relatability is based on his character and story, certainly not his gender.

Agreed on the later. We will agree to disagree on the former.

My speculation is that Colin had an idea locked on how he wants all these characters and storylines to play out and wouldn’t budge even if it clashed with Rian. He is known to be “confident” and hard to negotiate when it comes to his ideas and may even have wanted changes in TLJ so that he can fulfill his vision. And it was probably more financially secure to replace the director of a movie that was many years ahead than risk one which was well into preproduction at that point. But that’s just my assumption.

My speculation is that Colin had an idea locked on how he wants all these characters and storylines to play out and wouldn’t budge even if it clashed with Rian. He is known to be “confident” and hard to negotiate when it comes to his ideas and may even have wanted changes in TLJ so that he can fulfill his vision. And it was probably more financially secure to replace the director of a movie that was many years ahead than risk one which was well into preproduction at that point. But that’s just my assumption.

My assumption was he wasn't able to get his story squared after Carrie died.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back