Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Don't sweat it. This happened when the Force Awakens came out. If anyone had an opinion that didn't line up with the love fest, they called it trolling. It got to the point where critiques of the film ended up moving to its own thread where the distaste for the film was open for discussion. Funny part was the people from the love fest thread couldn't help going in to the new thread and reading why people hated the film, and they ended up posting and arguing their point in that thread. (see:Trolling). :lol

And then a year later most of those people started to hate and criticize TFA for being a rehash of ANH like they figured out some huge secret whereas it was the current bandwagon podcasters (who previously were also enamored with TFA) created just in time to drum up Rogue One's "originality". Sounds familiar...? I give it to Disney it was a clever ploy with TFA, they cashed in on people wanting to see the old-style Star Wars when it came out and now anything that's not a remake of an older installment can be praised as "original" and "at least it's not a complete ripoff of an older one". :lol

Im just going to wait for the reviews.

That's what you publicly admit on the web. But in real life, I know that you are sitting there in your Kylo Ren underroos, eating a BB8 orange, while preordering 3 copies of the Bluray. One to watch, one to keep unopened on your shelf, and one to keep in pristine condition because "it might be worth something someday". :D:p

Frequent Rian Johnson collaborator Joseph Gordon-Levitt ("Brick" and "Looper") recently posted some thoughts:

https://medium.com/@hitRECordJoe/a-new-old-skywalker-253efda3809c

I don't believe for one second that he published this without RJ's approval. Mostly due to the reek of spin-doctoring.

Anyways....

Most of it is "explaining" the Luke situation, in a far too verbose fashion. The real nugget is the last paragraph.

He tries to convince that these choices are "not made when short-term profitability is prioritized". And that we should basically feel "respected" that LF trusts us enough to make these bold decisions.

The problem is that they are making one movie and then shoving past to the next ASAP. Care was taken with TFA, because they couldn't make another "PT", so to speak. But the rest of the movies are not getting anywhere near that kind of careful decision making. I mean, did they actually expect Lord & Miller to make something that wasn't going to be highly comedic?

It's not about short-term profit, but we're going to have two SW movies release within 6 months of each other? That just doesn't wash.

Wasn't there an admission that there was no story setup before making these movies? That they are essentially making it up as they go along?

It's kind of insulting to try and sell to us that these rushed movies are someone's long-term vision, instead of a drive to make money as quickly as possible. Especially with the troubles the Solo movie is having. And it looks like McGregor is already training and bearding up for an OWK movie, while they are surely gearing up to make Part 9.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Attachments

• TIN-FOIL.jpg
    TIN-FOIL.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 55
  • TIN-FOIL.jpg
    TIN-FOIL.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I like how Bryan and JD are the good cop and bad cop of the Disney Praise Franchise. Bryan is so high up on his horse he can only see movies in terms of $$, and JD is just low-roading the conversation at every turn. He's one notch above flat out throwing poop at people.

I like how Bryan and JD are the good cop and bad cop of the Disney Praise Franchise. Bryan is so high up on his horse he can only see movies in terms of $$, and JD is just low-roading the conversation at every turn. He's one notch above flat out throwing poop at people.

Come on, you know that’s not true. I love Star Wars, I am an unapologetic fan of all of it. On Sunday I recorded a podcast for a friends show all about graflex lightsabers! I play Battlefront 2 with my son, I have a closet full of collectibles, I read SW books before bed every night (currently the new Leia novel). I am first and foremost a fan. The fact that as part of my career involves investing people money then my financial hat comes into play. In that case, I better be right about my analysis or people loose real money. even if I didn’t own Disney I would still be the same fan. :)

Come on, you know that’s not true. I love Star Wars, I am an unapologetic fan of all of it. On Sunday I recorded a podcast for a friends show all about graflex lightsabers! I play Battlefront 2 with my son, I have a closet full of collectibles, I read SW books before bed every night (currently the new Leia novel). I am first and foremost a fan. The fact that as part of my career involves investing people money then my financial hat comes into play. In that case, I better be right about my analysis or people loose real money. even if I didn’t own Disney I would still be the same fan. :)

You play BF2 online at all? If so, and you're on Xbox, shoot me a PM! We can team up! :)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi – 10 Revelations From Director Rian Johnson

1. Luke and Kylo's views are built to mirror each other

2. Luke's death had to have resonance
"He's taken himself out of the fight, he's sitting on that island in exile. I know the Luke I grew up with is not a coward, he's not sitting out there hiding, so I had to come up with a reason he was there that was active and positive, and something I could genuinely believe I could think in his shoes."

3. The stable boy ending almost wasn't the last scene
"it turns what Luke did from an act that saves 20 people into an act that inspires the galaxy. The notion that what we're setting up here is something big in the next chapter. And when Leia says, 'we have everything we need,' she's talking about everyone on the Falcon, but also about what we see next, which is we now have a galaxy that has seen this beacon of hope and is getting inspired to fight the good fight."

4. Kylo and Rey's connection is complicated for a reason

5. Rey's parentage was a clear choice
"I went through all the possibilities of who her parents could be. I made a list, with the upsides and downsides. There were two things about this option that made it feel right to me. Firstly. I like the idea that we're breaking out from the notion that the force is this genetic thing that you have to be tied to somebody to have. It's the 'anybody can be president' idea."

6. Carrie Fisher's death did not affect the story

7. Holdo's hyperspace attack reaches back to a line from the past
"I'm sure that a lot of fans had thought ever since Han was talking about if you don't get the calculations right you could go through a star...,"

8. Snoke's unceremonious death allowed for a new paradigm
"This is not Snoke's story."

9. Luke and co.'s expanded Force powers had to compete with what we've seen before
"I feel like we still offered a modicum of restraint, because we didn't have anyone pulling Star Destroyers out of the sky. And believe me, it came up when Luke came out on to the field, I was, like, 'should he wave his hand and all the walkers blow off like dust?' The things that are in there that are Force moments largely came out of the dramatic moments. (OMG - CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT) But the Leia thing is an interesting example. It's something that Kathy kept bringing up, which I thought was interesting. She said, 'I've always been intrigued by what Luke says to Leia in Jedi in that she has the power inside her also, and why haven't we seen that?'

10. Johnson had to resist being a fanboy around Adrian Edmondson

Star Wars: The Last Jedi – 10 Revelations From Director Rian Johnson

1. Luke and Kylo's views are built to mirror each other

So Kylo is Luke on the other side of things... hmmmm

2. Luke's death had to have resonance
"He's taken himself out of the fight, he's sitting on that island in exile. I know the Luke I grew up with is not a coward, he's not sitting out there hiding, so I had to come up with a reason he was there that was active and positive, and something I could genuinely believe I could think in his shoes."

Had to come up with a reason???... oh I like that

If you know that about Luke, why make him the opposite?.. and think in his shoes? Are you a Jedi?

3. The stable boy ending almost wasn't the last scene
"it turns what Luke did from an act that saves 20 people into an act that inspires the galaxy. The notion that what we're setting up here is something big in the next chapter. And when Leia says, 'we have everything we need,' she's talking about everyone on the Falcon, but also about what we see next, which is we now have a galaxy that has seen this beacon of hope and is getting inspired to fight the good fight."

So there are a bunch of Rey's running around? Here we go, another AOTC. Many Jedi to fight the unwinnable battle.

4. Kylo and Rey's connection is complicated for a reason

Cause they are brother and sister.....

5. Rey's parentage was a clear choice
"I went through all the possibilities of who her parents could be. I made a list, with the upsides and downsides. There were two things about this option that made it feel right to me. Firstly. I like the idea that we're breaking out from the notion that the force is this genetic thing that you have to be tied to somebody to have. It's the 'anybody can be president' idea."

Well, congrats to you for being to so politically correct. But I smell BS, a diversion.

6. Carrie Fisher's death did not affect the story

What story?

7. Holdo's hyperspace attack reaches back to a line from the past
"I'm sure that a lot of fans had thought ever since Han was talking about if you don't get the calculations right you could go through a star...,"

Honestly, other than visually cool, I saw nothing there.

8. Snoke's unceremonious death allowed for a new paradigm
"This is not Snoke's story."

It wasnt Sidious' story either, but he played a darn good part.

9. Luke and co.'s expanded Force powers had to compete with what we've seen before
"I feel like we still offered a modicum of restraint, because we didn't have anyone pulling Star Destroyers out of the sky. And believe me, it came up when Luke came out on to the field, I was, like, 'should he wave his hand and all the walkers blow off like dust?' The things that are in there that are Force moments largely came out of the dramatic moments. (OMG - CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT) But the Leia thing is an interesting example. It's something that Kathy kept bringing up, which I thought was interesting. She said, 'I've always been intrigued by what Luke says to Leia in Jedi in that she has the power inside her also, and why haven't we seen that?'

No comment..

10. Johnson had to resist being a fanboy around Adrian Edmondson

Why? He could have shown the whole SW world. Not just the dogmatic view of Disney, money King of Old

Ok, Im done. RJ fan boys.

I just hope IX will be the bow that ties it all together.

#2. So why was Luke on the island if he wasn't hiding?

#3. How did the whole galaxy see Luke's heroic sacrifice?
We get the idea that galaxy found out through the little epilog with the kids. Word spreads fast in a galaxy far, far away...

But who witnessed it? The rebels were escaping, only the FO saw what went down. May be they broadcast the showdown on pay per view. :lol

Rebels saw him walk out and the start of the fight. First Order troops saw the whole thing. Rey and Leia know what happened through the Force. And the coda at the end likely takes place some time after the battle at the end.

We get the idea that galaxy found out through the little epilog with the kids. Word spreads fast in a galaxy far, far away...

Please explain. If your talking about the stable boy, then that was very old history about Rebellion and Empire that was probably told. And took many years to circulate.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back