Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
That is something that truly bothered me. The battle was great with the bombers but honestly, I couldn’t believe that all those fighters weren’t deployed from it in time or that Poe was able to get in close enough to directly attack it. Then again IRL you have heavy destroyers get wrecked by RHIB type boats and dinghys...so....why not
The fighters not deploying from the Dreadnought, ok. But no fighters launching from the entire FO fleet over the course of an hours-long chase? Each Star Destroyer has maybe 6 squadrons... so we are talking 50-60 squadrons among the support ships, not including whatever fighters are on the Supremacy. Including TIE Bombers of course.

It pains me to criticize something I love so much, but I can't geek out over a scenario so poorly conceived. Part of what made SW exciting was, right from the opening sequence you get a huge ship overtaken by an even more massive ship, disabled, tractor beamed over and boarded. All of the concepts of these huge ships and their hangars and fighters and shuttles and crews and troopers felt so well thought out. It made an impression on my imagination as a child that will always be there. The type of thing that inspired countless lego creations, micro machine battles, fantasies about escape pods and boarding parties, etc. So I admit I bring that baggage into TLJ and yes, the film leaves me absolutely bewildered.

Why does this ship have a crew nearly double the Death Star?
Because bigger is apparently cooler. And what's cooler than having room to house two Star Destroyers inside your capital ship? Nevermind having it do anything threatening. The problem with this whole "Go Big!" concept is it creates plot problems where there would be none with a smaller scale pursuit force. But please, don't be a nitpicker by asking where the hell the fighters, bombers and boarding parties are. We see a hangar with thousands of Stormtroopers standing in formation, but why aren't they piling on transports by the hundreds and heading right into the Raddus' hangar like Kylo did?

Not to be off topic, but its amazing who else was considered the role of Kylo and Rey. Although they look much older, I wonder how they were even considered.

No, it was bad writing killed the fleet.

Exactly. In what universe would someone put bombers with such high yield explosives, practically attached to each other in the midst of such a
FO fleet? And I wont even start to address the decisions or lack of them by Leia and Holdo. Again, all at the feet of Rian "Harry Potter" Johnson.

I'll jump in some hostile territory here, but I just assumed since the FO was preparing to fire on the capital ships, they were keeping all their fighters out of the way. I think the bomber hitting the 'sweet spot' was totally unexpected, so not considered a threat.

Exactly. In what universe would someone put bombers with such high yield explosives, practically attached to each other in the midst of such a
FO fleet? And I wont even start to address the decisions or lack of them by Leia and Holdo. Again, all at the feet of Rian "Harry Potter" Johnson.
Also we have years of established lore, both in the OT and in games, of how a bomber in the universe would behave. Proton torpedos seemed to be working fine, why would they go to something so archaic 30 years later? Especially when Kylo is still using proton torpedos? Even in ESB when the tie bombers were bombing the asteroid, it's clear you don't need a huge ship with a flight crew and bomb payload.

Also we have years of established lore, both in the OT and in games, of how a bomber in the universe would behave. Proton torpedos seemed to be working fine, why would they go to something so archaic 30 years later? Especially when Kylo is still using proton torpedos? Even in ESB when the tie bombers were bombing the asteroid, it's clear you don't need a huge ship with a flight crew and bomb payload.

Again, exactly. Its totally indefensible.

The Most Breathtaking Moment in ‘The Last Jedi’ Is Also Its Greatest Threat to ‘Star Wars’ Lore[/h]
https://www.theringer.com/2017/12/20/16800970/vice-admiral-holdo-maneuver-the-last-jedi

Thanks for sharing that. A lot of those points are valid & have been brought up here, & reading it outside of this forum made me 'hear' what the writer was saying a bit differently.

But here's the thing...I can recognize everything he said as valid, but STILL like this movie. I don't understand why that's hard for some to accept. That author pointed out everything in a humorous & accurate way, but wasn't trying to make those that enjoyed the movie feel like they're stupid for enjoying it.

Some insight from Rian:

I’ve racked up an embarrassing amount of time playing Desert Golfing on my iPhone X. It’s a lovely little app. It’s so stupid. Some horrible friend recommended it. I can’t remember who, but if I ever do, I need to punch that person in the face. The most humiliating thing is I think I have played more than 1,500 holes on it.I’ve got a 1960s-era Omega Speedmaster Pro (similar model shown above) that was kind of a pre-shoot present to myself. I wore it through pretty much the whole production. It’s nice because it’s got a chronograph that I could use for timing out some moments on set. But it’s mostly just a beautiful thing.
I typed Episode VIII out on a MacBook Air. For security it was “air-gapped”—never connected to the internet. I carried it around and used it for nothing except writing the script. I kept it in a safe at Pinewood Studios. I think my producer was constantly horrified I would leave it in a coffee shop.

One thing I had with me on set and used every single day was my Leica M6 35mm film camera from the 1980s. I bought a ton of very high-speed, black-and-white film, had the camera on my shoulder at all times and just snapped away. By the end of the shoot I had a couple thousand film stills. It kind of keeps your eye fresh on set because you’re always looking for interesting stuff to shoot.
I draw my storyboards by hand in Moleskine A4-size soft cover sketchbooks. I filled about seven or eight for the film. My drawings look like stick figures, ridiculous little chicken-scratch drawings. But Steve Yedlin, my director of photography, really likes them because it boils shots down to absolute basics. My storyboards are a wire hanger on which to hang a conversation that actually describes a shot.

When I was writing Episode VIII, I was listening to “The History of Rome” podcast (hosted by Mike Duncan). The stories have a lot of similarities. They’re about family dynamics and family politics. They’re about war and the mechanisms of war. You’ve got characters like Nero who are these insane, larger-than-life, operatic madmen driving their country to ruin. It’s very timely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just rewatching the Red Letter Media TFA predictions. Rich Evans predicts exactly what Luke does in TLJ, two years before it came out.

About 9 min 55 sec......

Rian Johnson does know about RLM and has mentioned them in the past. I wonder if he "got inspired" by watching this.

I'm reminded of their Guardians of the Galaxy VOL1 review. Mike mistakenly says "Gardens of the galaxy" (which is a joke that made the vol2 trailers) and Jay responds that he'd like to see a movie about people going from planet to planet planting gardens. Ego ends up putting a plant on every planet he visits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just rewatching the Red Letter Media TFA predictions. Rich Evans predicts exactly what Luke does in TLJ, two years before it came out.

About 9 min 55 sec......
https://youtu.be/oifhpT0HZ7Q?t=598

Rian Johnson does know about RLM and has mentioned them in the past. I wonder if he "got inspired" by watching this.

I'm reminded of their Guardians of the Galaxy VOL1 review. Mike mistakenly says "Gardens of the galaxy" (which is a joke that made the vol2 trailers) and Jay responds that he'd like to see a movie about people going from planet to planet planting gardens. Ego ends up putting a plant on every planet he visits.
Those hack-frauds secretly control the entirety of Hollywood! Rian Johnson is admittedly intimidated by them and I'm sure they'll bully Kathleen Kennedy into doing their bidding! :lol
Jokes aside, they are eerily spot on with a lot of things well ahead of time. Mike even suggested JJ Abrams for a Star Wars sequel in the Plinkett review of Star Trek: The Star Trek. I really wish most of their Han Solo movie predictions would come as true as their TFA ones, would make one hilarious movie.

I'll jump in some hostile territory here, but I just assumed since the FO was preparing to fire on the capital ships, they were keeping all their fighters out of the way. I think the bomber hitting the 'sweet spot' was totally unexpected, so not considered a threat.

In the BF2 campaign which is canon they steal the dreadnaught plans and deliver it to the Resistance. So the resistance has the plans and know where the weak spots are.

Why equip bombers with 10,000 little bombs instead of 100 big ones?
It's like a B-17 over Berlin dropping hand grenades.

This is just a story decision like any detail in all the Star Wars movies. The Death Star exhaust port being the weak spot is really stupid if you nitpick until we get to Rogue One and learn some more details that allow to add to our head canon on the subject.

My in universe opinion is that's just what Resistance has on hand. They are good ships because they don't always have to hold bombs they can be used for a multitude of things like supply drops, etc, etc.

Right. I meant that the FO didn't know the bombers were a threat.

Well, I remember there being a good chunk of tie fighters around them but the x-wings and a-wings and tail gunners were doing a great job of clearing the way.

Also, these bombers had the original power bafflers that the transports end up getting so they could not be seen on sensors until they closed to a certain distance (this is from the Cobalt squadron book).

Well, I remember there being a good chunk of tie fighters around them but the x-wings and a-wings and tail gunners were doing a great job of clearing the way.

Also, these bombers had the original power bafflers that the transports end up getting so they could not be seen on sensors until they closed to a certain distance (this is from the Cobalt squadron book).
Thanks. That's awesome. I haven't read Cobalt, but I love that stuff. A lot of my X-Wing education came from Rogue Squadron back in the day, so I'll have to check that one out.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back