Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
...Sure, there are stories there. Star Wars is literally filled with the implication that a lot of things are happening in the background or have happened in the past. The thing is, those stories don't serve the main narrative of the films we are watching.

...I'm just saying that the details and history of the map wasn't intended to be important to the story TFA was trying to tell.

This brings up a point that seems to be lost on a lot of folks. Star Wars is an homage to the action serials of the 30s and 40s, which were low budget and often poorly written and had choppy pacing. Many things happening with little explanation. Star Wars from the beginning sort of parodied that, with quick cutting and even starting each film in the middle of an action scene with little set up, giving the feeling of a chapter series where you've missed last week's chapter. Of course it did a better job of explaining what was necessary to follow the plot, while providing books and such to fill in the details if one wanted to read them. But it's all just filler, not anything important to the plot.

Until Jar Jar Abrams came along anyway :lol

Last edited:
Im trying to find ways to say, ok I enjoy this.

But every question has been answered by.

"oh, that just happens now"

"just ignore that, its not important"

"you will find your answers in a book"

"thats not the main point"

"trying to move forward, let the past go"

I love SW, it has been a part of myself and my (now grown) kids.. and im trying...thats why Im here. To seek out non-youtube BS and "down to Earth" fans, but some of this is really "grasping at straws".

Im not giving up!

Not really you seem to just constantly ask the same questions no matter what explanations people give you. Could you just get past the fact that you missed something or maybe some one read something in another source that gave them more insight on something and posted it?

Like maybe just say ONCE that you don't like having to get info from other media and be done with it. That's fine.

For others I would just block some people in this thread being pedantic and save your answers for people asking question in good faith. This thread (like plenty of others before it) has become toxic because some people that dislike something won't state their opinion and leave. They just continue arguing in bad faith so people that are interested in actual discussion of movie points leave the thread.

This thread (like plenty of others before it) has become toxic because some people that dislike something won't state their opinion and leave. They just continue arguing in bad faith so people that are interested in actual discussion of movie points leave the thread.

Again.... the prequels started getting bashed almost 19 years ago. Oddly enough, it seems TLJ has taken a little heat off of them. I wouldn't expect the toxic dislike of TLJ to stop anytime soon, just like has happened with the prequels.

SW has had what's now known as a 'Story Group' far longer than they've been Disney. The difference is that Disney established the current Story Group for the express purpose of making sure that ALL forms of SW media fit into one continuity. That's why everything since the sale is canon, & everything before is 'Legends' material. They recognised the need because SW fans have always gotten info from various sources, books, cartoons, games, etc.

Most, MOST, SW fans enjoy the supplemental material & the way it enriches the films. I believe there's a deliberate decision to let some things be discovered, instead of soon fed.

The R2 thing is a prime example. It was stated that R2 got the complete map when he was hooked into the Death Star in ANH. What BB-8 had was the PATH Luke had taken. Lor San Tekka had helped Luke find the temple on Ahch-To, so he knew the path & was willing to share it with Leia since the need was dire. Again, the 'map' BB-8 had was only the PATH. 3-PO said it didn't match any known systems. They were missing that section of the galaxy. When R2 woke up, he had that system in his data banks, so the two together allowed them to find his location.

Know where I learned all that?

TFA, the Visual Dictionaries & the LEGO TFA game.

It's all part of the whole. Always has been, & now always will be.

If you're a SW fan & know that the trash compactor monster was a Dianooga, Lando's assistant was Lobot, the names of ANY bounty hunters, or that Boba Fett's ship was called Slave-1, then thank the supplemental material, cause you didn't learn that from the movies.

SW has had what's now known as a 'Story Group' far longer than they've been Disney. The difference is that Disney established the current Story Group for the express purpose of making sure that ALL forms of SW media fit into one continuity. That's why everything since the sale is canon, & everything before is 'Legends' material. They recognised the need because SW fans have always gotten info from various sources, books, cartoons, games, etc.

Most, MOST, SW fans enjoy the supplemental material & the way it enriches the films. I believe there's a deliberate decision to let some things be discovered, instead of soon fed.

The R2 thing is a prime example. It was stated that R2 got the complete map when he was hooked into the Death Star in ANH. What BB-8 had was the PATH Luke had taken. Lor San Tekka had helped Luke find the temple on Ahch-To, so he knew the path & was willing to share it with Leia since the need was dire. Again, the 'map' BB-8 had was only the PATH. 3-PO said it didn't match any known systems. They were missing that section of the galaxy. When R2 woke up, he had that system in his data banks, so the two together allowed them to find his location.

Know where I learned all that?

TFA, the Visual Dictionaries & the LEGO TFA game.

It's all part of the whole. Always has been, & now always will be.

If you're a SW fan & know that the trash compactor monster was a Dianooga, Lando's assistant was Lobot, the names of ANY bounty hunters, or that Boba Fett's ship was called Slave-1, then thank the supplemental material, cause you didn't learn that from the movies.
But, it wasn't hand fed to me in a movie. We know where green milk came from but there was no explanation of where blue milk came from so it's rubbish.

But, it wasn't hand fed to me in a movie. We know where green milk came from but there was no explanation of where blue milk came from so it's rubbish.

Any fan worth his salt knows it was Bantha milk!!!

Besides, if they'd not shown Luke drinking from the tap, there would be page after page of idiots complaining that RJ missed the fact that milk is BLUE in SW, therefore he's an amateurish hack that just made things up in a vacuum.

I just saw an entertaining movie. It didnt move me, I got some chuckles, saw some great action sequences and left watching a 100% Disney production.

Like I said before, I avoided all spoilers etc. and went in cold. I had medium expectations and came out the same. The next episode, my expectations will be a little lower as I have accepted the reality that the franchise has taken a new direction. Heck, even Damon Poe looked old compared to the rest of the cast. Luke and Leia were left in to placate the hard core fans but you could tell their time was up and they had to go.

I liked the little egg birds better than I thought, at least I know where the blue milk came from.

藍藍藍
Any fan worth his salt knows it was Bantha milk!!!

Besides, if they'd not shown Luke drinking from the tap, there would be page after page of idiots complaining that RJ missed the fact that milk is BLUE in SW, therefore he's an amateurish hack that just made things up in a vacuum.
But, but, but... it's not explicitly shown and spelled out to me. :wacko

Simply stating if you like the movie or not and just walk away is called a poll and there is one in place already. To claim that the toxicity of this thread is only from the people who dont like the movie is not a true or valid representation at all.

Now, for more important things...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw an entertaining movie. It didnt move me, I got some chuckles, saw some great action sequences and left watching a 100% Disney production.

Like I said before, I avoided all spoilers etc. and went in cold. I had medium expectations and came out the same. The next episode, my expectations will be a little lower as I have accepted the reality that the franchise has taken a new direction. Heck, even Damon Poe looked old compared to the rest of the cast. Luke and Leia were left in to placate the hard core fans but you could tell their time was up and they had to go.

I liked the little egg birds better than I thought, at least I know where the blue milk came from.
After I first saw it i thought it was entertaining as well. As the day unfolded and I had time to reflect on what just happened, then I started to get that punched in the stomach feeling. Weird that I could like and hate a movie at the same time. For me, on its own, its an entertaining movie, it's just not a good sequel.

So is Gin going to leave Ray alone now? He was like a dog humper in TFA. Is his new trash lady turned super pilot overnight his new love interest? It looked like he didnt return the love. Oh.....I get it now. Its gonna be Poe and Fin turnin up the romance in Episode nine.

So is Gin going to leave Ray alone now? He was like a dog humper in TFA. Is his new trash lady turned super pilot overnight his new love interest? It looked like he didnt return the love. Oh.....I get it now. Its gonna be Poe and Fin turnin up the romance in Episode nine.
I actually went to see it again today and I noticed something that I missed before.
At the end when Finn was watching over Rose and putting a blanket on her, it looked like Rey looked over at them and she smiled, kinda like she was saying "Oh that's so great that he cares for her". I always thought that their relationship was more as family and not as a love interest. Although he started out in TFA as being attracted to her, but can you blame him?

Today is the day. We are going to see TLJ. I have avoided spoilers, this thread, the other threads almost completely. I know Luke is in it, there are some red royal guards, Leia prob dies and thats about it. Im going in cold, no spoilers, no preconcieved notions, no bad juju. I have medium expectations as a long time SW fan. TFA bugged me with its Disneyfication, but liked R1.

I really want to like it....lets see.

So what did you think? :p
That's what I did Saturday evening. No spoilers, no trailers no nothing. The disappointment was real.
I loved how they set up Snoke to be the new emperor-esque character, only to have him killed off before he does, well anything basically :lol :facepalm

Luke died? Uh no, becoming one with the force is obviously not the same as being dead. A bit odd some folks can't tell the difference.
Also "loved" how they had Luke sit on an island and do nothing in EP7 only to do the same in EP8. Force projection is being too lazy to actually do something.

They did an amazing job on getting non-funny jokes in at exactly the wrong moments, incredible, just incredible.
It again sorely lacked London Symphony Orchestra.... they got so many simple things so very wrong. Walking out of the theater the only things I remember liking was Poe Dameron, Leia's EP4 hologram and possibly the odd looking Yoda puppet.

Ok Doc. I understand where your coming from,

I just have a slight problem with having to research MAIN PLOTS in a story, to understand. I dont remember having to go back and research ANH, to understand it. I read to carry on what was already planted.

Edit: Yes, I find that R2 having the final piece to Luke, or Jedi Temple, was a big mystery. It was a very interesting story or "plot"

"If it's not in the movie....."

Dude, I brought the receipts.

If I say mansplaining again, will you take your ball and go home like you did the first time?

1) no, I didn't. And let's be clear here, I'm the one that left you alone when you told me to leave you alone. I didn't PM you again, I didn't respond to your posts of the forum. You were the one who decided that you wanted to blow up my opinions on the board again. And even more ironically, you did it with a bell hooks jab, the same subject you are now accusing me of some obsession over.

And conveniently, you can only point to posts which have been scrubbed from the board to claim you "won" any debate.

If any third party wants to point out where I erred in those previous interactions, I welcome any criticism publicly or privately.

2) you embarrassingly got caught claiming that a link I posted didn't define feminism, it did. You also got caught confusing gender identity and sexual preference.

3) oh brahma's post, the one where you also wrongly assumed he meant "insolent?"

P.s. You're now on the ignore list. Don't bother replying.

Oh, look it's harping bell hooks feminist ideals. But using terms that are harmful toward men. Which bell hooks would not approve. What a hypocrite.

1) You said females get to define feminism. You also had no choice but to stop PMing because I told you any more insult/attack PM's and I'd report you to the mods. Don't act like you did it of your own free will. Bringing up your favorite feminist was perfectly relevant in a discussion about alternative sexuality demographics. Whereas, here you bring her up to make a failed reading comprehension argument.

2) Oh, looks like you forgot to capitalize the first word of that sentence. Got some writing comprehension issues there, jlee. Also, you are rambling and just making up stuff now.

3) Doesn't seem to be a point here. You have some communication comprehension problem, jlee. Also, forgot to capitalize the first word of this sentence too.

When writing postscript it is traditionally done with both letters capitalized, as in P.S. Got some letter writing format comprehension problems there, jlee. You were sitting there and moaning about my ability to write. And you've made mistakes elementary children would not make.

You're putting me on ignore because you can't fight the fact that I can prove your phoniness with PM's.

Also "loved" how they had Luke sit on an island and do nothing in EP7 only to do the same in EP8. Force projection is being too lazy to actually do something.

I believe that he did what he could. See, some people saw the submerged X-Wing and though "Luke can lift it up out of the water and fly away". I saw the X-Wing submerged and thought "Luke stranded himself, he can't leave". It seems like the latter is what RJ had in mind. Luke states "I came here to die".

Later when motivated to act, he took the only path available to him... Force projection. It was sort of a genius move IMHO. If Luke had showed up personally and been killed by Kylo. The FO could say, we didn't end the resistance but we did kill Luke Skywalker. FO wins.

Instead Luke was a projection. He checked all the boxes that he needed to check. He faced Kylo. He allowed time for Rey to save the survivors. He wrapped up things with Leia. And thereby changed the situation to either a stalemate or arguably a slight resistance win. Luke died or became one with the force or whatever, but Kylo nor the FO can came responsibility for killing him. I think this was a smart move. At this point they are fighting for the hearts and minds of the common galactic citizens. Had the FO killed Luke, many people would have given up. There would be no spark.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back