Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Its cultural not every thing revolves around American entertainment and as I posted get Chow involved and they WILL be engaged

No I know they don't have any meaningful history with it, I just wonder how they can be more engaged. Just adding Chinese actors in R1 didn't alter the equation, there's something culturally missing.

No I know they don't have any meaningful history with it, I just wonder how they can be more engaged. Just adding Chinese actors in R1 didn't alter the equation, there's something culturally missing.

Its cultural not every thing revolves around American entertainment and as I posted get Chow involved and they WILL be engaged
It's an odd thing, that's for sure. The top grossing movies in China is a weird mix of films, with 9 American movies in the top 20.

You might think that maybe sci-fi doesn't do well in China - well, Transformers, Avatar and Warcraft (!?!?) dispels that. I'm baffled at the success of The Fate of the Furious, Furious 7, Transformers and Warcraft... these are arguably bad movies (ok, I guess the Furious movies got decent reviews).

Is it about spectacle? Again, arguably the American movies on the list do showcase a lot of spectacle. But, then - doesn't Star Wars?

Does the weight of Star Wars being a long running franchise hold it back? Again, the Furious and Transformers films seem to prove that wrong.

The lack of Chinese actors doesn't seem to be any issue.

I'm sure there are people that have a lot more insight and knowledge about all this than we do that are just as stumped.

You know China had a ban on Disney films in the past and slowly are allowing them to be shown.Even the Disney Marvel movies had to be edited in order to be shown.From a certain point of view Disney is the enemy and most are to blind to see it.

I think in TLJ they went off the STAR WARS track and try to change the franchise,imagine if Indiana Jones no longer went after relics to put in a mueseum but rather to sell them on the black market,would you still look at Dr. Jones the same way?

Star Wars just does not have the following in China, it is a relatively a new franchise for them.

I think Phantom Menace was the first to open there and it got a luke warm reception.

Only in recent years imo the last 10 have things opened up there

You know China had a ban on Disney films in the past and slowly are allowing them to be shown.Even the Disney Marvel movies had to be edited in order to be shown.From a certain point of view Disney is the enemy and most are to blind to see it.

Disney had a temporary ban from 1997-1999. This was due to a positive portrayal of the Dalai Lama. The ban was lifted after a Disney apology and the release of Mulan.

Most, if not all American films have some censorship involved in their Chinese releases.

Star Wars just does not have the following in China, it is a relatively a new franchise for them.

I think Phantom Menace was the first to open there and it got a luke warm reception.

Only in recent years imo the last 10 have things opened up there
Transformers, Fast & Furious are all relatively new to China as well.

JD your right about American movies being censored as the Dalai Lama caused a ***** storm.Transformers and other movies are more action,odd as it might sound TPM could be viewed as very political which does not go well in China.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know so many of you are worried about the Chinese market. But it brings me to something I remember hearing or reading about, all those years ago, one of the few theaters that released ANH, was Grauman's Chinese Theatre, unless im mistaken. I know it does not represent the C market, but I thought it was humorous.

Further proof that the Chinese don't really care about Star Wars.

As time goes by I think the tide will turn, God knows the mouse is trying, they have done all sorts of things trying to get the interest there

Transformers, Fast & Furious are all relatively new to China as well.

If it was me, the last place I would go into hiding if I was Luke would be the most sacred of Jedi landmarks, and why bother to leave a map to where he was anyway? The place had a swimming pool absolutely screaming with the Dark side and Snoke and Kylo couldnt even sense it yet can ForceTime across galaxies?

If it were me, the last place I would hide the offspring of Anakin Skywalker is literally on his home planet in the care of his own relatives.

It's not like Star Wars has EVER made sense in that regard. However...

1. Luke did not create the map to the temple nor leave the map to find him. When Luke left, it was to find the temple. Therefore, the temple was the last known location where Luke might be. The map was to the temple, not Luke. No one knew for sure that he would be there, just strongly suspected it.

Quick question:

If Luke was intent on marooning himself on the island to die and cutting himself off from the force, why do it at the first Jedi temple at such a force sensitive place

Luke did not go there with the intent on marooning himself. He went there looking for answers and only after arriving and coming to the conclusion that the Jedi / Sith was a never-ending cycle did he decide to try to end the cycle by allowing the Jedi to die with him.

1. Luke did not create the map to the temple nor leave the map to find him. When Luke left, it was to find the temple. Therefore, the temple was the last known location where Luke might be. The map was to the temple, not Luke. No one knew for sure that he would be there, just strongly suspected it.

Then that confuses the whole R2 map story

Luke did not go there with the intent on marooning himself. He went there looking for answers and only after arriving and coming to the conclusion that the Jedi / Sith was a never-ending cycle did he decide to try to end the cycle by allowing the Jedi to die with him.

But he left R2 with the map, and the whole R2 "turning back on"... he wanted to be found

Further proof that the Chinese don't really care about Star Wars.

As time goes by I think the tide will turn, God knows the mouse is trying, they have done all sorts of things trying to get the interest there
It goes back prior to Disney's involvement in Star Wars.

Today is the day. We are going to see TLJ. I have avoided spoilers, this thread, the other threads almost completely. I know Luke is in it, there are some red royal guards, Leia prob dies and thats about it. Im going in cold, no spoilers, no preconcieved notions, no bad juju. I have medium expectations as a long time SW fan. TFA bugged me with its Disneyfication, but liked R1.

I really want to like it....lets see.

If it were me, the last place I would hide the offspring of Anakin Skywalker is literally on his home planet in the care of his own relatives.

Then what made him suddenly change his mind and that Rey was gonna continue the jedi? Was it Yoda's words of growing beyond masters etc.?
So what he learnt/ interpreted on the Island was totally unfounded or he was just a bit of an idiot?

Then that confuses the whole R2 map story

But he left R2 with the map, and the whole R2 "turning back on"... he wanted to be found

That's actually wrong. Luke didn't leave R2 with anything before going into exile. R2 had obtained the last piece of the map from the records of the Empire while on board the first Death Star. That is the same piece of the map that Kylo said he had, as he also recovered it from the archives of the Empire. R2 overheard Rey while in his low-power mode (which R2 had put himself in after Luke went into exile) and searched his databanks and found it. While this is not readily addressed in the movie, it is addressed in the TFA novelization, which is canon as well.

That's actually wrong. Luke didn't leave R2 with anything before going into exile. R2 had obtained the last piece of the map from the records of the Empire while on board the first Death Star. While this is not readily addressed in the movie, it is addressed in the TFA novelization, which is canon as well.

So your telling me a have to read a "novelization" to understand this?. Damn, I was told there was no need to read extra stuff to explain visual stuff...I didnt get that memo

I dont remember having to read anything about the Hulk, to know about the Hulk. Ah well, let me get my glasses.

So your telling me a have to read a "novelization" to understand this?. Damn, I was told there was no need to read extra stuff to explain visual stuff...I didnt get that memo

No, you don't have to read the TFA novelization to understand it. You can just read the Wookieepedia article on R2 or just Wookieepedia in general to find it out, as it provides that information regardless.

No, you don't have to read the TFA novelization to understand it. You can just read the Wookieepedia article on R2 or just Wookieepedia in general to find it out, as it provides that information regardless.

Ok Doc. I understand where your coming from,

I just have a slight problem with having to research MAIN PLOTS in a story, to understand. I dont remember having to go back and research ANH, to understand it. I read to carry on what was already planted.

Edit: Yes, I find that R2 having the final piece to Luke, or Jedi Temple, was a big mystery. It was a very interesting story or "plot"

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back