Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
See the thread's previous discussion on Mary Sue, she's literally not. Not only has the term been abused by many (it originally refers to author insert/wish fulfillment characters in fan fiction), Rey was given FAR more thought than Luke. Luke is a farmboy, whom we are told (but never shown until the third act) that he's a pilot. Rey is a scavenger, which means that she has to have at least a menial knowledge of starships and their parts (to know which things are of value). It's also shown that she has an established relationship with Unkar Plutt (owner of the Falcon when TFA begins) and has at least a cursory knowledge of the ship ("that's one garbage," and she knew about Unkar's modifications). Why is it any less believable that she can fly the Falcon? Luke hops in an X-Wing that we're never given any reason to believe he's flown before and he does alright for himself.

Sorry apple and pears. And I'm done. It's like "No, my car isn't blue, her look at the photo" - "Dude, totally blue car".

Well, again, if you want to say that the film hasn't convincingly executed Rey having motivations....that's a fair subjective position to take. But it's pretty clear what Rey's motivations are, they're practically pasted all over the film (parentage, learning about the force).

If that are her motivations, the trilogy is over.

Quick question:

If Luke was intent on marooning himself on the island to die and cutting himself off from the force, why do it at the first Jedi temple at such a force sensitive place - that's like saying "I'm never eating meat again" and then camping at a McDonalds for the rest of your life. That doesn't make any sense. He could have been moping about anywhere hidden in the galaxy. In TFA I felt it implied that Luke had gone to the first Jedi temple for some kind of answers, was this idea just ignored like so many others, or should we believe that once Luke got to Ach To he thought "Screw this, I can't be bothered" Either way it's nonsense. This part of TLJ is what irks me so much - it's the drive for both TFA and TLJ and seems empty story wise.
Yup. Again, 2 minutes of expository dialogue could have given some depth and meaning to both the situation and the character. Cut the walrustits, add some more meaningful interaction between Luke and Rey and say something like "after the turn of Ben I started to doubt everything, so I came here where the Jedi started to find answers, looked at the ancient scrolls, went to that dark cave and came to the conclusion that I must not return and get involved, bladibla".

Also, I mightr have missed it coz I've only seen it once, but Luke cut himself off from the force, right? So how could he sense that Rey went to the dark cave instantly when they had their first lesson? Is it just a flip of a switch that he got the force back, or did he just let a little force in and then cut off again, or what...It would have been more interesting if Luke decides to help but haven't used the force so long that he actually needs to get back in business and while he helps Rey he learns new things about himself and the force too. You know, just a bit of character development...

Eh, don't throw out a red herring about Rose.

So in this hypothetical rewrite are we also changing what Poe's plan is?

Nobody threw a red herring, it was perfectly in context. Rose's (and thus the film's) message is "save the ones you love instead of killing the ones you hate". What I think of this message is irrelevant to present discussion. So what you were saying is that Holdo telling Poe the escape plan and Poe saying "this is a bad plan, I'm gonna whack them FO (kill the ones he hates) instead of packing up and fleeing (saving the ones he loves)" is silly and the way it played out in the movie is not silly?

Because it's not about fighting what you hate, it's about saving what you love. Luke expends the effort to foil Kylo and get Leia and the Resistance to safety.
But at that point all Luke said is that he's gonna face Ren and he can't bring him back. Not a word or a mention about the Resistance getting away. And at that point literally nobody knew about the back-door escape in the cave. All they knew that they are trapped and that Luke's going to face Ren. If Luke knew that there was an escape route why didn't he tell them? Luke bought them 3 minutes. So if Luke didn't turn up they would have seen the anime foxes running anyway and at that point it would not have made that massive a difference if there's 600 or 60 metres between the Falcon and the FO, as the walkers were already pretty darn far from the cave.

I haven't seen Brick but I'll check it out and I've only seen Looper once which I liked but thinking back there's a scene with Ryan Gosling and Bruce Willis in a cafe with Gosling acting as the audience surrogate asking questions about the timeline and stuff. Bruce Willis just says something like "look kid, we can sit and blabber on all day, but we won't find an explanation, the main thing is that we're here". At first I thought it was a clever ironic way of mocking time-travel movies. In hindsight it feels like a sarcastic comment masking bad screenwriting.

Last edited:
If it was me, the last place I would go into hiding if I was Luke would be the most sacred of Jedi landmarks, and why bother to leave a map to where he was anyway? The place had a swimming pool absolutely screaming with the Dark side and Snoke and Kylo couldnt even sense it yet can ForceTime across galaxies?

The location of the first Jedi Temple on Ahch-To wasn't readily known to everyone and was basically lost and forgotten in time, which is why Luke said that he went to the "most unfindable place in the galaxy." The reason why Luke was able to find it was shown in the TLJ Visual Dictionary, where it said that he studied the "spread of uneti saplings," which are the saplings of Force trees, like the Force tree that was in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, the saplings that Luke found in Shattered Empire (the canon comic that took place after ROTJ), and the actual Force tree that was found on Ahch-To. If the first Jedi temple on Ahch-To was fast or easy to find and sense, the Emperor would have found it and destroyed it like he did to many of the various Jedi temples located throughout the galaxy during the time of the Empire.

Also, in TFA, Han said that there were a lot of rumors and stories about where Luke went after Ben turned, saying that "the people who knew him the best think he went looking for the first Jedi temple." He didn't go there for knowledge or anything, as the TLJ Visual Dictionary revealed that the ancient Jedi texts that were in the Force tree on Ahch-To came from Luke himself, as it said that "Luke's travels allowed him to collect and assemble ancient scriptures containing lost Jedi wisdom and abilities." Essentially, he went to the first Jedi Temple on Ahch-To to die, as he said in the movie, and to bring the entire Jedi order full circle by bringing the ancient Jedi texts he had found in his journeys throughout the years back to their origin and dying as "the last Jedi" where the Jedi Order began all those years ago.

Lastly, Luke didn't leave behind anything, especially a map to where he was. The map in TFA wasn't a map to Luke in case anyone wanted to find him; it was a map to the last believed location of Luke, which was the first Jedi Temple. That's why Kylo said in TFA during Rey's interrogation that they had recovered the majority of the map (to the Jedi temple, not to Luke himself) from the archives of the Empire, but they needed the last piece that BB-8 was carrying.

Hope all this helped clarify some stuff. :)

Last edited:
If you were able to expand your focus to more than a few posts back, you would understand the context of that comment about quoting my posts.

Whining like a bitch? Wow, thats a little sexist and a lot offensive isnt it?

Epic fail from start to finish.

Thanks for your positive and ever fascinating input JD.

Your next post should begin with an apology to fifty percent of the worlds population.
See this post here. No apology coming from me - I'm well aware of the actual context of what I've written. And I don't need someone with their pseudo anti-SJW post to point it out. If there's any apology it's because I sunk down to a level that you guys keep harping on a few of us to get at. But, I won't apologize for calling a bitch a bitch.

I'm not someone that's miserable and keeps coming back here to bitch and whine about the movie that obviously so many enjoyed. It's a shame that you and a few others didn't like the movie, I understand that want to discuss what you thought went wrong with it. But, it's already moved beyond that - so many of you seem to get off on knocking on others enjoyment of the movies. At what point do you start acting like adults about it all?

Last edited:
See this post here. No apology coming from me - I'm well aware of the actual context of what I've written. And I don't need someone with their pseudo anti-SJW post to point it out. If there's any apology it's because I sunk down to a level that you guys keep harping on a few of us to get at. But, I won't apologize for calling a bitch a bitch.

I'm not someone that's miserable and keeps coming back here to bitch and whine about the movie that obviously so many enjoyed. It's a shame that you and a few others didn't like the movie, I understand that want to discuss what you thought went wrong with it. But, it's already moved beyond that - so many of you seem to get off on knocking on others enjoyment of the movies. At what point do you start acting like adults about it all?

Like I keep bringing up, if people are still complaining about the PT nearly 19 years later, I doubt they're going to stop bitching, and magically start enjoying TLJ 3 weeks after it's release.

Also, just to clarify, are you saying those that have major issues with TLJ are misogynists, to an extent, and that's the reason they can't enjoy the movie?

Like I keep bringing up, if people are still complaining about the PT nearly 19 years later, I doubt they're going to stop bitching, and magically start enjoying TLJ 3 weeks after it's release.

Also, just to clarify, are you saying those that have major issues with TLJ are misogynists, to an extent, and that's the reason they can't enjoy the movie?
I don't disagree with the former. On the latter, no - that's not what I said or was my intention to imply (that was directed at one individual's thinly veiled attempt to mischaracterize my use of the word "bitch").

Sorry apple and pears. And I'm done. It's like "No, my car isn't blue, her look at the photo" - "Dude, totally blue car".

Well, you're the one saying things shown on screen didn't happen, so if that's your analogy, dude, watch the movie.

Nobody threw a red herring, it was perfectly in context. Rose's (and thus the film's) message is "save the ones you love instead of killing the ones you hate". What I think of this message is irrelevant to present discussion. So what you were saying is that Holdo telling Poe the escape plan and Poe saying "this is a bad plan, I'm gonna whack them FO (kill the ones he hates) instead of packing up and fleeing (saving the ones he loves)" is silly and the way it played out in the movie is not silly?

Whether or not Rose saving Finn is "silly," has nothing to do with Poe and Holdo.

What I'm saying is that your "fix" to the supposedly "silly" writing doesn't really fix anything.

In the film as is, Poe being rebuffed is what motivates him to try to go around Holdo to save the fleet. He stages a mutiny, which sets up Leia's return in the narrative.

Here's why I asked if your rewrite includes Canto Bight, unless you're rewriting the whole third act, Poe throwing a fit after he learns of the plan, makes less sense than him being mad for not being told the plan. Given the setup of the first act, they're running out of fuel, they can make one jump, but they're being tracked. So if Poe's brilliant plan is still gonna be Canto Bight, that means he stages a mutiny because he doesn't like the chain of command and not being told things that are on a "need to know" basis as opposed to someone who feels forced into the mutiny to save everyone.

...The reason why Luke was able to find it was shown in the TLJ Visual Dictionary, where it said that he studied the "spread of uneti saplings," which are the saplings of Force trees...

This made me giggle a bit as I pictured the guys from "Red Letter Media" reading this description of "Uneti Saplings" out loud like their Darth Vader click bait video (His helmet was polished by "woodoo hide" kids, and his right glove was a "Mandalorian crushgaunt" fitted around one of Lord Kaan's indestructible "Sith amulets", and modified to include grip-augmentation circuitry...).

We do have some pretty goofy concepts used to fill in the blanks left by the films in the "Star Wars Universe", when you look at it objectively :).

Reach out and follow the "Force-Sensitive Pine Cones" home my friends...

pine-cones.jpg

Last edited:
I loved it. Even liked the Porgs! Of course, anyone who has actually been to Skellig Michael will sort of just "get it," when it comes to Porgs.

Whether or not Rose saving Finn is "silly," has nothing to do with Poe and Holdo.
Gee I might be having a different conversation with you than what you have with me...
Read my last post please, I specifically said what I think of the Rose message and saving Finn event is irrelevant to this particular discussion. I offered an idea that you considered silly as a character motive whereas it would have underlined the Rose message even more ergo would have worked to the story’s advantage.

Poe throwing a fit after he learns of the plan, makes less sense than him being mad for not being told the plan. Given the setup of the first act, they're running out of fuel, they can make one jump, but they're being tracked. So if Poe's brilliant plan is still gonna be Canto Bight, that means he stages a mutiny because he doesn't like the chain of command and not being told things that are on a "need to know" basis as opposed to someone who feels forced into the mutiny to save everyone.
Isn’t that exactly what he did in the first act? He was given a direct order by no less than Leia and he just switched off the comlink and went against that order. Why would it make less sense for him to do it again from a character point of view?

Amazing how Vader and Palpatine couldn't find Kenobi on Vader's homeworld a stone's throw away from Vader's step-brother... who happened to be have Vader's own son. They also couldn't find Yoda on the Force strong planet Dagobah.

Yup. Again, 2 minutes of expository dialogue could have given some depth and meaning to both the situation and the character. Cut the walrustits, add some more meaningful interaction between Luke and Rey and say something like "after the turn of Ben I started to doubt everything, so I came here where the Jedi started to find answers, looked at the ancient scrolls, went to that dark cave and came to the conclusion that I must not return and get involved, bladibla".

Also, I mightr have missed it coz I've only seen it once, but Luke cut himself off from the force, right? So how could he sense that Rey went to the dark cave instantly when they had their first lesson? Is it just a flip of a switch that he got the force back, or did he just let a little force in and then cut off again, or what...It would have been more interesting if Luke decides to help but haven't used the force so long that he actually needs to get back in business and while he helps Rey he learns new things about himself and the force too. You know, just a bit of character development...

But at that point all Luke said is that he's gonna face Ren and he can't bring him back. Not a word or a mention about the Resistance getting away. And at that point literally nobody knew about the back-door escape in the cave. All they knew that they are trapped and that Luke's going to face Ren. If Luke knew that there was an escape route why didn't he tell them? Luke bought them 3 minutes. So if Luke didn't turn up they would have seen the anime foxes running anyway and at that point it would not have made that massive a difference if there's 600 or 60 metres between the Falcon and the FO, as the walkers were already pretty darn far from the cave.

I haven't seen Brick but I'll check it out and I've only seen Looper once which I liked but thinking back there's a scene with Ryan Gosling and Bruce Willis in a cafe with Gosling acting as the audience surrogate asking questions about the timeline and stuff. Bruce Willis just says something like "look kid, we can sit and blabber on all day, but we won't find an explanation, the main thing is that we're here". At first I thought it was a clever ironic way of mocking time-travel movies. In hindsight it feels like a sarcastic comment masking bad screenwriting.

the point of it all was pretty flatly stated in the dialog.

he can't show up and take on the FO himself. As the scene showed, no matter how powerful you are, you're not going to withstand relentless blasting for 10 AT-AT's on steriods. Even before getting to crait, there were maybe 3-400 resistance members left on like 3 ships. If Luke did show up, he could maybe help them a little, but he'd get killed and it'd be 'The FO kicked his ass in a matter of minutes' and his cache is spent and he's remembered as someone who gave up and got roasted and then likely quickly forgotten.

Doing what he did, he actually DID take on the FO, withstood the blasts - which is flat out impossible - and made the FO look like the incompetent tools they now are. Plus, he solidified a legendary status that will inspire the galaxy because as far as they know, he's still alive. Only 2 people know he died as a result. Possibly a third (kylo). The galaxy at large doesn't know that and it will be a rallying cause.

Pretty simple, The Chinese give 2 $hits about this franchise always have.

Now if Stephen Chow would be given the chance to direct, your head would explode trying to keep up with the box office reciepts! :lol

Boy, I am totally ay a loss as to how this franchise can gain traction in the Chinese market. This isn't a problem simply with TLJ but the entire franchise. Sussing this out is likely worthy of it's own thread.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/the-last-jedi-china-box-office-1202655733/

Pretty simple, The Chinese give 2 $hits about this franchise always have.

Now if Stephen Chow would be given the chance to direct, your head would explode trying to keep up with the box office reciepts! :lol

No I know they don't have any meaningful history with it, I just wonder how they can be more engaged. Just adding Chinese actors in R1 didn't alter the equation, there's something culturally missing.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back