Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Ahhh, you again, I`m going to stick to the original agreement.
Uhhh... The 'agreement' was you saying that you felt I had an agenda because I have responses you didn't agree with, so you didn't see us responding to each other directly. That's why I just asked the question to whoever felt the same way.

Now, want to answer the concise question I asked?

Rey does not work for many people, including me. Kylos motivations are more reasonable, even the whole "Luke wants to kill him in his sleep for a second" is a confession of not understanding the OT. This is surely arguable for some people.

If the writing doesn't work for you, fair enough.

But there ARE reasons given in the film(s) as to why Rey can use the force the way she does. To state otherwise goes beyond subjective opinion.

Well, not telling him made absoluteley no sense. And like I said before another, more established character, would've worked better.

I dunno, maybe. I think both of those things are up for debate. Certainly the latter, I can easily imagine someone arguing that they wasted Akbar's death (or whoever you want to sub in for Holdo). But Holdo is in command, Poe is not, and he just gave the people in command reason to distrust him.

I don't get anything from Finn in TLJ. He was an interesting character in TFA and with his backstory there were much more possibilities to do something more interesting and important in TLJ. In my opinion he got wasted.

Jar Jar is a synonym for annoying SW characters. Rose annoyed me a lot. I even think Jar Jar is a better character, just for theories. He's still annoying.

Agree to disagree.

It's too early too tell how timeless any moments from TLJ will be, but I feel this moment will stick with me for a while.
VrEcks4.gif

So Rey, in a months time, has now as much, or more capabilities, than that of Anakin (who was born purely of the Force and midichlorians) and Kylo, who is a Skywalker and was trained by both Luke and Snoke?

Nahhh.. I dont buy it...

Its not a female/male thing, its just a female/male thing is this story..I think they wanted a female "super hero" so bad, that they made and unbelievable short journey in "leveling up" a character... pay to win loot crates. And just caused a lot of chaos.

And yes!! I believe in the midichlorian theory, they should sample her blood.

I think even as a Sci-Fi movie, things still have to be believable. Trek and DC and Marvel, still holds the "sure it would never happen, but it could!!" card. The new sequel does not hold that card.

Every movie I watch, that has a hero with remarkable power in it, has some kind of explanation of how they received these powers, from Thor to Superman. And that explanation, was done in the first or second part of the story. We are all SW fans, but now we are in the 3rd.. and still nothing.

It's too early too tell how timeless any moments from TLJ will be, but I feel this moment will stick with me for a while.
https://i.imgur.com/VrEcks4.gif
+1

From an OT blending into NT standpoint, Luke hitting Kylo with the "See you around, kid" almost made me lol. For him to emphasize Ben's immature nature, with an OT quote from his father that I'm sure Ben had heard from his youth. To me, that was poetic perfection.

Honestly, that part was so corny, I though Seth McFarland wrote that scene..would be a cool Family Guy scene....lol

It started that way, only fitting it closed with it. To be fair to Disney, it was an ingenious way of getting a "Just for Men" plug in the movie.

They own them as well dont they?

If the writing doesn't work for you, fair enough.

But there ARE reasons given in the film(s) as to why Rey can use the force the way she does. To state otherwise goes beyond subjective opinion.

It's subjective to say there are reasons, too. You may see reasons, I don't. I have to work with the rules I know from Star Wars and therefore I don't see any reason.

I dunno, maybe. I think both of those things are up for debate. Certainly the latter, I can easily imagine someone arguing that they wasted Akbar's death (or whoever you want to sub in for Holdo). But Holdo is in command, Poe is not, and he just gave the people in command reason to distrust him.

She had no reason to not tell him. She should have told her plan to everyone on that ship.

But again, TLJ is a bad written movie which, and this is the subjective part, disrespects it's source and it's responsibility.

Agree to disagree.

Dito.

So Rey, in a months time, has now as much, or more capabilities, than that of Anakin (who was born purely of the Force and midichlorians) and Kylo, who is a Skywalker and was trained by both Luke and Snoke?

Nahhh.. I dont buy it...

Its not a female/male thing, its just a female/male thing is this story..I think they wanted a female "super hero" so bad, that they made and unbelievable short journey in "leveling up" a character... pay to win loot crates. And just caused a lot of chaos.

And yes!! I believe in the midichlorian theory, they should sample her blood.

I think even as a Sci-Fi movie, things still have to be believable. Trek and DC and Marvel, still holds the "sure it would never happen, but it could!!" card. The new sequel does not hold that card.

Every movie I watch, that has a hero with remarkable power in it, has some kind of explanation of how they received these powers, from Thor to Superman. And that explanation, was done in the first or second part of the story. We are all SW fans, but now we are in the 3rd.. and still nothing.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think the story they're trying to hammer home, is that the Force is done with being a tool to be used. The previous 'rules' that we know about the Force at all based on how the Jedi & Sith 'used' the power of the Force.

The Force has now awakened & will proceed as it wants.

Just how I see it.

It's subjective to say there are reasons, too. You may see reasons, I don't. I have to work with the rules I know from Star Wars and therefore I don't see any reason.

Uhhhh.....

Ok, fine, if you don't want to accept the unspoken force-knowledge-by-osmosis which I contend is clearly the intent of TFA, Rey literally trains with Luke.

What established 'rules' do you contend are broken?

The "Holdo maneuver" could have just as easily have been performed by a droid or even the cruise control from my old 1984 Holden Kingswood.

Going back to the 'timeless' thing,, a 'timeless' line in the wrong place can mean nothing.

For example, I've seen the OT countless times since in the theaters, & the "I love you, I know"part of ESB has been a top five moment, but, you know what?

It was only about six months ago, that someone pointed out that they did a callback in ROTJ at the Imperial bunker. Leia says it to Han, & he responds.

What was SO awesome in ESB, want even in the radar in ROTJ.

weird

I can see where you're coming from, but I think the story they're trying to hammer home, is that the Force is done with being a tool to be used. The previous 'rules' that we know about the Force at all based on how the Jedi & Sith 'used' the power of the Force.

The Force has now awakened & will proceed as it wants.

Just how I see it.

So the Force is taking control of itself again, Just like it Created Anakin??? And cannot be wielded,,,,,and has a mind of its own.

Thats deep!!

Ok.. I can buy that.... But geezzz,,,it doesnt have to be such a shallow story to tell such a deep subject.

Going back to the 'timeless' thing,, a 'timeless' line in the wrong place can mean nothing.

For example, I've seen the OT countless times since in the theaters, & the "I love you, I know"part of ESB has been a top five moment, but, you know what?

It was only about six months ago, that someone pointed out that they did a callback in ROTJ at the Imperial bunker. Leia says it to Han, & he responds.

What was SO awesome in ESB, want even in the radar in ROTJ.

weird
It was always on my radar in RotJ - up until you mentioned it, I thought it was a given. Didn't cheapen the line to me at all.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back