Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
You make an excellent point about the huge potential of the Chinese audience. I think however Disney knows how important it is to keep their core audience here in the U.S. and English speaking countries happy. Here in the U.S. its the top movie franchise and it makes huge amounts of money, where over seas in places like China the star wars franchise hasn't done as well. Until Star Wars in china starts out performing the the gross profit in the U.S. then Disney needs to keep those fans happy.
And I'm sure there working on it. Just hope we don't start getting transformer type SW movies.

It’s worth noting total Star Wars film box office is $8.7B not adjusted for inflation. Merchandise sales are double that.

shirt-1513877705-04c1d62fead014c0ce6b656013f3a235.png

I’m not sure what the budget was but that sounds right, $170-200M before marketing.

Oh ok, before paying for all those commercials, I have to give it to them there... I dont think you can go 10 minutes without a TLJ commercial or some sort of SW reference.

Oh ok, before paying for all those commercials, I have to give it to them there... I dont think you can go 10 minutes without a TLJ commercial or some sort of SW reference.

It will probably end it’s theatrical run at the end of Jan. with $1.4-$1.5B global.

Are the actors on a percentage?

Hamill must be grinning ear to ear..

I remember reading that for TFA, he & Fisher made the same salary, which was still considerably lower than Ford's.

That article didn't say anything about a back end percentage, but if really be surprised if there wasn't some incentive.

I remember reading that for TFA, he & Fisher made the same salary, which was still considerably lower than Ford's.

That article didn't say anything about a back end percentage, but if really be surprised if there wasn't some incentive.

I don’t think Disney offers any backend on Star Wars or Marvel.

I don’t think Disney offers any backend on Star Wars or Marvel.

You're absolutely right. I'm thinking that technically, all the previous six films were basically big budget independent films, with Fox distributing. That allowed better back end incentives to be offered.

May be wrong.

You're absolutely right. I'm thinking that technically, all the previous six films were basically big budget independent films, with Fox distributing. That allowed better back end incentives to be offered.

May be wrong.

That’s a good point. The only actors I could see having an opportunity to wet their beak on box office would have been Guiness and Cushing.

I remember Carrie Fisher making the comment that she'd basically signed away her likeness, so they were getting zilch from any merch.

I think the line was something like, every time she looked in a mirror, she owed George Lucas $2.

That’s a good point. The only actors I could see having an opportunity to wet their beak on box office would have been Guiness and Cushing.

Guiness was offered 2% for script and dialogue suggestions then George offered him an extra 0.5% when the movie debutwd but by the time they wrote a paper of it it became 2.25%. :)
It’s in one of his early interviews. Dunno about Cushing.

1) That's not my argument.
2) Your argument seems to assume that I don't have any issues with with TLJ's plot/pacing/narrative and/or that I'm arguing the film is not convoluted. Neither assumption would be true.

1) This quote of yours literally says that Palpatine's origin would have made the OT convoluted. Post 2201. Did you forget your own posts?

Snoke's backstory simply isn't relevant to the TLJ story the same way Palpatine's origin has no bearing on ESB and throwing out all the information about his rise to power in that movie would have just made it convoluted.

2) And this is a TLJ topic, I can draw comparison to TLJ at any time. That is not predicated on your preferences or necessarily even directed wholly at you.

Guiness was offered 2% for script and dialogue suggestions then George offered him an extra 0.5% when the movie debutwd but by the time they wrote a paper of it it became 2.25%. :)
It’s in one of his early interviews. Dunno about Cushing.

Thats right, I recall that story and heard that interview.

1) This quote of yours literally says that Palpatine's origin would have made the OT convoluted. Post 2201. Did you forget your own posts?

No, it's just that, as usual, you're disregarding important context and kind of missing the point of what's being said. Such as the last time you tried to pick my post apart and ended up conflating four columns of data into two, and then having the audacity to complain that I was the one who had the math wrong.

Maybe my wording was unclear. If that's the case, let me try to explain again and reiterate what I said in post #2240. TLJ has a plot that Rian wants the audience to follow, just as ESB does. The telling of the narrative of TLJ requires the audience to know NOTHING about Snoke's backstory. It's not relevant to the space chase. It's not relevant to Rey's interactions with Luke (e.g. the "Leia blames Snoke" line I pointed out earlier). It's not relevant to Canto Bight, it's not relevant to Rose.

And yes, maybe TLJ would have been more satisfying if they had thrown a line that gives the audience something. I get that criticism, and as I said, that's totally valid.

But it doesn't change the fact that Snoke's backstory isn't the thing that's moving the action forward. It's just not.

Likewise with ESB, what you initially replied with was this:
@jlee562
If you can argue that knowing the Emperors background would have made ANH or the OT convoluted, then I can certainly argue that TLJ is convoluted and show how they could have reduced that issue.

No, my argument literally makes no claim about inserting the Emperor's background into anything else but ESB. Not ANH, not the OT as a whole. I'm saying that it's not important to the narrative of the individual film.

2) And this is a TLJ topic, I can draw comparison to TLJ at any time. That is not predicated on your preferences or necessarily even directed wholly at you.
Fair enough, but perhaps you should find space to do that when you're not quoting my posts or tagging me in your posts. It sure makes it seem like your comments are directed at me.

@jlee562

I toke the whole Snoke thing seriously, basically because of

1) the actor who played him, Andy Serkis
2) they way they portrayed him in TFA
3) how he was percieved as a Dark Lord of the Sith, He was portrayed (to me) as another Emperor

I said this before, its a shame that, as of now, the most powerful dark force user is Kylo. But we will see

Last edited by a moderator:
Actors were not the only ones who got "incentives"

Some of the crew did as well on some of the installments.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back