Dragon sculpture.

Darthragnar

Howdy folks of RPF, I’m new here and saying hello from Canada!. Just figured I’d share some pictures of a dragon head sculpture I did. In the process of making epoxy molds and hope to have some realistic looking finished copies with dragon skin silicone skin and smooth cast 300 plastic horns all airbrushed etc. Hope you guys like it and will update progress of mold making soon. Look forward to make many friends on here and seeing what this forum has to offer. Stoked!.

Attachments

• CDFF841C-DE53-42B7-8727-DD17A45FE798.jpeg
    CDFF841C-DE53-42B7-8727-DD17A45FE798.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 348
  • 4FD8A5AE-85F7-4881-AF8E-4CB3C3D9AF58.jpeg
    4FD8A5AE-85F7-4881-AF8E-4CB3C3D9AF58.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 280
  • 75A2C38E-9516-4DA3-AA6A-23856FC5574A.jpeg
    75A2C38E-9516-4DA3-AA6A-23856FC5574A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 339
  • E4EAFA3E-33D2-486E-A3B8-2FFA9683B622.jpeg
    E4EAFA3E-33D2-486E-A3B8-2FFA9683B622.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 286
  • 1EEA3485-8A16-44F5-9B1D-D7F0E1F37E1F.jpeg
    1EEA3485-8A16-44F5-9B1D-D7F0E1F37E1F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 254
  • EB432F27-2484-4796-8216-2DF28B939B01.jpeg
    EB432F27-2484-4796-8216-2DF28B939B01.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 318
  • F2EA4A8E-1B9D-4760-AEA7-A26C41C1682A.jpeg
    F2EA4A8E-1B9D-4760-AEA7-A26C41C1682A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 257
  • 36EF5D03-01C0-40C3-B0AA-63CDA1ACA9BA.jpeg
    36EF5D03-01C0-40C3-B0AA-63CDA1ACA9BA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 217
  • 3F1D7BCF-B125-4FD0-A87D-FF8ED6624D5B.jpeg
    3F1D7BCF-B125-4FD0-A87D-FF8ED6624D5B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 228
  • DEE0132B-5F6B-4C07-85CC-13DE1EFB8CBC.jpeg
    DEE0132B-5F6B-4C07-85CC-13DE1EFB8CBC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 253
Thanks buddy!. Yeah we have given thought to making a full body but that would be quite the undertaking as the head is about 2 feet tall. The goal is initially to be like a taxidermy mount like it is a hunting trophy.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks bud!, I really appreciate it. You guys have given me a warm welcome. Feeling stoked to be on here. Will definitely update the mold making progress. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks soo much!, yes we have already started making the epoxy mold and hope to be done within the next week or 2. Just waiting on an order of free form air epoxy. We used Frank Ippolito's Zoidberg project as inspiration for the mold process.

Sorry guys, haven’t been on forums much before so just figured out I’m replying to the comments wrong lol. I guess I have to use the quote option or something. Well I may not be the sharpest tool in the shop but at least I can sculpt a bit ha ha.

This is simply fantastic! Can't wait to see the finished head.
Thank you!. I am just about done making the mold. It's going to be a 5 piece epoxy and fiberglass with resin mold and I have 3 of 5 pieces complete. Will post pics of progress soon!. I eventually want to make the full body but considering the head is 2 feet tall that would be a massive undertaking for sure. We'll see. For now I am going to make the head so it can be mounted on a wall to look like a hunting trophy. May make a cool shield it can mount to and possibly add a sword, not sure yet. Thanks for looking :)

Wow, what skill and craftsmanship! Would LOVE to see this become full body.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Thanks soo much bud!. I may eventually make a body but the head is 2 feet tall so that would definitely be a huge undertaking. Eventually it may happen. I am almost done the epoxy mold though so should be able to start pounding out copies soon and start painting. I want to do some with a surface layer Smooth-on Dragon skin silicone (ironicly it's named that ha ha) and the some 2 part expanding rigid foam to fill the rest of the mold, then I will airbrush it to look real. I have separate molds made with silicone (Moldstar slow) and the teeth will be made with smooth-on's Smooth-cast 300 plastic and painted as well. We plan to paint a few different themes like a fire dragon, water dragon, desert dragon etc. Should be fun!. Thanks for your interest buddy. :)

Thanks soo much bud!. I may eventually make a body but the head is 2 feet tall so that would definitely be a huge undertaking. Eventually it may happen. I am almost done the epoxy mold though so should be able to start pounding out copies soon and start painting. I want to do some with a surface layer Smooth-on Dragon skin silicone (ironicly it's named that ha ha) and the some 2 part expanding rigid foam to fill the rest of the mold, then I will airbrush it to look real. I have separate molds made with silicone (Moldstar slow) and the teeth will be made with smooth-on's Smooth-cast 300 plastic and painted as well. We plan to paint a few different themes like a fire dragon, water dragon, desert dragon etc. Should be fun!. Thanks for your interest buddy. :)
Love the sound of the color schemes!!! Now I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing that! You could create different "breath" effects to come out of the various mouths and cast them in a clear epoxie. Being a huge dragon fan I love the lore that each various dragon has a different breath element. Red dragon fire, Blue dragon ice, Desert dragon, maybe something that looks like a plague of scarabs... Sorry, just really into this sculpt. Lol

So what's the size of this? And where are you located in Canada? :D
Sorry for the delayed response. I finally figured out you gotta click "quote" to reply to someone specifically lol. Never been on a forum before. To answer your questions, the head is a little over 2 feet tall and I am in Terrace BC Canada. Also I plan to make an epoxy mold (almost done), make copies with silicone skin and rigid foam core and plastic horns and teeth using smooth-cast 300 then paint them different themes and make them wall mountable to look like hunting trophies. Eventually I want to make a body as well if I can afford it.

Love the sound of the color schemes!!! Now I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing that! You could create different "breath" effects to come out of the various mouths and cast them in a clear epoxie. Being a huge dragon fan I love the lore that each various dragon has a different breath element. Red dragon fire, Blue dragon ice, Desert dragon, maybe something that looks like a plague of scarabs... Sorry, just really into this sculpt. Lol

That's an epic idea!!. I totally should try something like that. Love the scarab idea! Genius!. I also was tossing around the idea of making some be wired to be a lamp/light with the bulb in the throat, possibly LED. My wife wants some that have a fan and a silk piece of fabric with an LED light system behind it simulating a flame flicker. I've seen some lights like that and they do actually look very much like flame flickering. It's pretty cool. We'll see. The ideas never cease around here lol.

Dec following this. Will you be molding this?
Sorry for the delayed response. Realized I need to click "quote" to respond to someone. I replied way back when you posted but did it wrong lol.: Thanks bud!, I really appreciate it. You guys have given me a warm welcome. Feeling stoked to be on here. Will definitely update the mold making progress. :)

That's an epic idea!!. I totally should try something like that. Love the scarab idea! Genius!. I also was tossing around the idea of making some be wired to be a lamp/light with the bulb in the throat, possibly LED. My wife wants some that have a fan and a silk piece of fabric with an LED light system behind it simulating a flame flicker. I've seen some lights like that and they do actually look very much like flame flickering. It's pretty cool. We'll see. The ideas never cease around here lol.
You're right! I HAVE seen some "tissue" flames that look almost real until the fan is off. Good back lighting and I think wifey is on to something!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back