Sculpture help!

jakelyon85

Hey Guys this is my first time posting, so sorry if this isn't the place to post this.
I need some help with my Rocket Raccoon bust I'm working on. This is my 2nd
sculpture I feel like something is wrong with it, but I can't figure it out. I've looked at it
in the mirror and it looks off but then i try to adjust but it doesn't seem to help.
So if you guys would be so kind and let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance!
IMG_2584.JPGIMG_2853.JPGIMG_2582.JPG

Ok well I'm not familiar with the charactor but I've had a look on Google images. The first thing that strikes out is the snout is too wide and stunted, and the brow line is the wrong shape. It's hard to tell without fur. Your symmetry looks fine to me, it's just not a good likeness. I would go back a few stages and re block those areas. I don't like to rip into someones work usually, but since your asking, that's my opinion.

My advice when blocking out is to get profile pics of the charactor (these could be screenshots) blow them up to the size you want and use calipers to measure. This works for most people.

Last edited:
well i wasn't really going for realistic version just more of a stylistic version.Sorry should've stated that above but thank you! ill try doing that

Oh I see. Well I'm not sure to be honest I can't see what's bugging you from the photos, it's a reasonable sculpt from 'stylistic' point of view. I'd maybe work on the expression and make it more dynamic. It has a bit of a thousand mile stare.

Your left eye looks very strange and off compared to the right. It's set further back and the lid is much too thick. I'd push that eye forward and try to match the other one a bit more closely.

You've not really got any interest points. When sculpting, I like to have a posable light over head to see where my shadows are. Areas like above the eye lid, middle of the brow where it touches the snout, the fur on the sides? All great places to work on the shadow.

I think that you will always find it difficult if using reference pictures from different versions of a character to create a successful sculpt. You might have to decide on a particular version of the character and get as many good quality reference pictures of that actual version.
Also, if you don't already do so, you could draw straight lines on your reference photo's to help you gauge the relationships between different features (see attached pic).
Look at your sculpt from the same angle as the reference pic and imagine those lines on your sculpt and compare where the lines intersect or meet the different features on the photos and check to see if they are the same on the sculpt. For example, the straight line from the top of the left eyebrow goes a certain distance above the right eyebrow - is that the same proportional distance on your sculpt? Likewise follow the lines down from the edge of the ears and check they line up in the same places on the photo and sculpt.
Does that make sense?
It's all about training your eye to spot little errors in the placement of the facial features and details on a sculpt, which are crucial in achieving a good likeness.

guides.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back