Han Solo blaster?

ERen89

I want to get more serious about propmaking. I just finished building a workbench for myself as I’m trying to set up a workshop in my apartment and I’m trying to determine what my next project will be. I was thinking of doing Han Solo’s DL-44 blaster. For display purposes, not for a costume or anything. However I’m not sure of the complexity level. I don’t want to recycle a Nerf gun or anything I would like to basically make this from scratch but my knowledge is limited on how to get started. If anyone has any advice, I am all ears. I seek to learn as much as I can to be able to build props without feeling too intimidated.

Hi, If you have limited ability and knowledge then perhaps a 3d printed kit would be the easiest way to start. Check out the dl44 thread for excellent reference pictures and alot of inside knowledge.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=118186

Once you've mastered a 3d kit you could maybe start upgrading things to Aluminium or get a decent looking Mauser replica to put parts onto. Without knowing your background it's a little tough to advise you on anything else as machining and metalworking skills develop over time with practice, not something you tend to dive right in with.

Hope some of that helps and there are plenty of 3d kits available for which ever version of the dl44 you wish to reproduce.

3D printing is actually a pretty good way to go if you're going for a cheap alternative and don't have time to get on Boba Debt's or Dark Energy Creations' run of parts. The only issue would be the base, since the only commonly available base is the Denix C96 or an airsoft (both are very inaccurate if you're not making a TFA version) There are a few good threads on here about accessorizing Denix Mausers. If you're willing to wait, I think Scottjua is doing a run of accurate Mausers, but I'm not sure when that will start production. I'm currently working on a 3D model of a Mauser for printing as well.

Yeah i have done a 3d printed kit before for my E11 blaster for my stormtrooper armor. I guess I don’t like the idea of having to rely on finding premade parts for assembly. Just doesn’t feel like I made it all myself then. That’s just my mind set.

I would recommend getting on a parts run when they come up. Often times the person organizing the parts build wants input from other people to provide more reference photos and opinions on their latest rendering of specific parts. There are "found parts" that are real-life items that can be acquired, but they are almost always very expensive and don't come up for sale often. As for the DL-44 I don't think there is any version that has 100% known real parts, some things have to be made (usually scope mounts). Like mentioned before there are several makers that offer these parts.

Do you have a specific version that you want to build? There are some good research threads on here that we could point you at.

The DL-44 is a bit of a difficult blaster to build, if you want to scratch everything. The Mauser body, barrel and the flash suppressor would be particularly difficult, but not impossible for a newbie. A lot of members are steering you towards a 3D print of the parts, probably as to not overwhelm you with the complexity of the build. Don't forget, the prop itself was conglomerated from several parts. But if you want to scratch build everything from the start, it would be a challenge, but one that will improve your skills at the end.

TazMan2000

I don’t know how skilled you are with woodworking, but I’ve seen people make the base Mauser gun out of wood then build the grips, greeblies, scope, flash suppressor, etc, out of whatever other materials were convenient (more wood, MDF/hardboard, even aluminium), so maybe this could be a viable option? It’d definitely be a lot more work but you’d get so much more satisfaction at the end of it (it seems like we both share the same mindset when it comes to building props - I too prefer building as much as I can myself rather than relying on pre-made parts.)

Anyway, just another option to consider. I’m also thinking of building a DL-44 from scratch so I’ve spent a bit of time working out how I could make the various pieces myself.

I have some woodwork experience. As many skill sets as I try to learn, I’m actually focusing on wood work right now. I have also done some metal at work. But just a little bit.
I work in a workshop for my job. We may large display cases for places like schools and such. Directories, trophy cases, etc...

As far as which version of the blaster, I wasn’t picky when deciding on it. So I have no preference as to which one I would like to do.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back