Editing .stl files

Kokanee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just a shout out to anyone with more expertise at 3D work than I, I'm trying to edit a .stl file and break it up into smaller components as I'm not happy how the bloke who uploaded it to thingiverse did it; print quality suffers a bit etc.

Unfortunately, as .stl files are just a shell, i can't break it down into smaller chunks/isolate components, at least not in my current package (3D Studio).

Would anyone have any guidance on software that is capable of this, or am I on a fruitless quest?

Thanks in advance.

Not shure what you mean with "just a shell", but if I understand you correctly, and the object only seems to be made out of different objects instead of really beeing assembled from them, then there's no way you can break it down without a fair bit of remodeling work.

Can you explain a little more clearly what you are trying to achieve? It should be within the capabilities of 3DS Max.

As I understand it you are trying to separate elements from a solid model, like dividing a phaser into component parts or something?

You should be able to boolean sections out relatively easily with a bit of clean up afterwards.

Can you explain a little more clearly what you are trying to achieve? It should be within the capabilities of 3DS Max.

As I understand it you are trying to separate elements from a solid model, like dividing a phaser into component parts or something?

You should be able to boolean sections out relatively easily with a bit of clean up afterwards.

Unfortunately I cannot, I'm pretty good with boolean functions and honestly they are my "bread and butter" when it comes to modelling, but when I attempt to boolen out a part I'm left with a hole in the model which can't be filled. The .stl model isn't solid, it's just a shell so it's hollow on the inside, it has no substance to model with.

Have you tried going low tech and using 3D Builder that comes with Windows? I know it's the MS Paint of 3D software, but like MS Paint, you can stretch it pretty far. As soon as I got into 3D printing I started modifying files, and 3D Builder was what I had so I used it to slice, repair, add pins and holes to connect parts, construct new parts, everything.

I have no experience breaking apart a model, just building them from scratch. But if hollow is the main issue, I'd try making it solid and THEN splitting it.

If you post a link to the file, I'll give it a shot and see if it's possible. (if you think it'll help)

There was a software I used to use that Adobe bought recently, I didn't like the new interface. Oddly enough I get pretty good results from the 3D software that comes with Win10. I have been able to break bigger objects up to fit my 8 inch printer pretty well with it.

It's this set of files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2525572

I'll try 3D builder when i get home tonight

I sliced that exact file with 3D Builder and printed it--along with the rest of the phaser modified so the buttons and knobs were separate parts. There are some issues with the grip model but I repaired it and got it to print just fine. If it doesn't work for you let me know and I can send you the STLs I ended up using.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    393.2 KB · Views: 88
If the hard work has already been done, that seems like the best solution. And I wouldn't mind those files as well. ;)

OMFG I WORKS!!!! 3D builder is exactly what i've been looking for. It's like I've had a Ferrari and needed a Yugo the whole time....

OMFG I WORKS!!!! 3D builder is exactly what i've been looking for. It's like I've had a Ferrari and needed a Yugo the whole time....

Haha, right?!? You want to build a bajillion polygon model of something, well go for Blender or 3DS Max or whatever, but you want to plug some holes in an STL and print the damn thing...the MS Paint of 3D software is there for you, free with Windows...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back