My Blade Runner Props List

RoyDeckard

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So one of my unicorn props has always been The Blade Runner blaster. it is an item that I have coveted for quite a while and something that, until recently, I was not able to afford. I always wanted to get a Tomenosuke kit version of the PKD and finish it the way I wanted, but every time the opportunity arised, they would sell out. Until I found one for a relatively decent price on eBay.

IMG_E1112.JPGIMG_E1113.JPG

Now, this isn't in my hands yet, unfortunately, but it will be within the next week, and I really can't wait to get to work on it, with a World Con version in mind. However, this Tomenosuke will be a bit special to me, because I've decided that I would make it live fire with a combination of real and Tomenosuke parts, as well as some parts from other makers, should I think a more accurate version of said part is out there. Now I know a few might be thinking "Well at that point why don't you just fabricate the gun from scratch at that point?" and while that is a long term goal, I just do not currently have access to tools in my area to do that quite yet. So a real parts/Tomenosuke Hybrid will due for now.

So my real parts list as of now is:

The Real S&W K-Frame Trigger
A real Binding Post from a WWII EE-3 Telephone
A Real Weaver Scope Knob
The LED Bezels that will go onto the Steyr Mannlicher magazine

79e5f3bf113c5cc7068eb622856faaf6.jpg
9805a259e924c257ec1556ccfb6a55e5.jpg
5b0670d7e90bfd439c2d05e561784da3.jpg

I am currently looking into options at finding a bulldog, as well as getting a handgun permit in my area. Now I'll be honest and say I have no prior gunsmithing experience, and it is somthing I'm not terribly comfortable doing without at least a little practice. But I also have a friend who does a little bit of his own gunsmithing who is willing to help me out with some of the modifications to the Bulldog, besides the barrel. Neither he nor I have access to a lathe to make that happen, so that will be handled by someone else. I have no leads so far on the Steyr parts. I know a .223 can be used in lieu of a SM SL .222, but if I can use a .222 that would be preferable to me.

New updates will come as the Tomenosuke comes in!

Last edited:
Re: Another PKD

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I recently completed mine as well. I briefly thought about attempting to make it live fire but decided a static replica with moving parts would be best. I may at some point track down a frame, and cylinder and upgrade the barrel, but for now I'm enjoying just finally having one in my display case.

Are you planning on trying to reinforce the attachment of the Steyr to the bulldog? The metal, at least in the Sidkit is pretty soft and the Steyr receiver doesn't have much actually holding it on. I know others have made firing replicas but I wonder how well they hold up to much actual firing.

For now my plan is to just make it up as a Tomenosuke full set with a couple real parts, I’ll figure everything out as I get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always excited to see another PKD build. Like you, the Tomenosuke kit is also one of my "grail" replicas, one I doublt I'll ever be able to get my hands on. Really looking forward to seeing your progress, be sure to keep us updated! Good luck!

So I finally got my kit in and put it together last night. There were two main reasons for this: one was so I can see where everything was supposed to go and if there were any problems I would need to address.The other was because I was super excited to get it.

d77bedf91af2fd5b71951dfe8aedfcd9.jpg

9324c09ce741d1c78c3005a184525bf4.jpg

Now one thing I did notice was my grip is a little bent. I’ve never really worked with resin but from what I’ve read it is fairly normal and heat should be able to bend it back into shape. So that is one thing I’ll need to do.

a2d33b62a5bd0b8ff0736017b271c043.jpg

Another thing I noticed is my real weaver knob has a different thread size from the Tomenosuke Part. While I figured that would happen, I thought the threading on the Tomenosuke would be larger. But nope, it’s smaller. And it looks like if I try to drill it to the larger size I will break through the metal on one side.

So guys who have added real weaver knobs: what did you do to get your weaver knob on there? Any advice will be great!

Another PKD

So I took the day to try and figure out Cold Bluing. I’d never done it before so it took a bit for me to learn. I got the receiver and steel barrel I have to a nice bluing and then , as I cut off the old barrel, decided to soak the parts in white vinegar to dull down the bluing itself. The barrel came out fantastically when I did this, but the receiver......

17cc610b8fc1d887d322aab3ef42eb61.jpg

... it kind of stripped immediately when it hit the Vinegar.

That didn’t deter me though, and I took the day to figure out how to get my gun to the finish I wanted without using vinegar again, and here is what I did:

1: Polish everything by sanding the pieces individually between 600 - 1200 grit Sandpaper. Finish off polishing using 0000 grade steel wool.

2: using helping hands to prop each piece up I washed them down with acetone.

3: I then blued each piece. I didn’t worry about color splotches, because of what I was going to do would work, they would disappear anyway.

4: I then sanded the blued pieces using 1200 grit sandpaper to the point where the finish was just under the Grey color I was looking for.

5: I then assembled the top, taping off where I didn’t want any bluing to be, and blued everything again; however, this time I dialed back the amount of liquid by a lot until most of the piece was gray again. (This was done to get rid of any white lines left on corners due to sanding pieces individually.

6: I then went in with my steel wool and started knocking the pieces back slightly. Where I thought I went too far I used a little bit of bluing to touch it up then reblended everything.

7: Once I was satisfied I then took the receiver apart again and took off the tape. I polished the bolt extractor with an automotive polish to give it a nice shiny finish.

I also hit the barrel a little bit with steel wool to blend in splotches on it, and here is the final result:

ffecd88ee3c4a88a0278cb313d9ce2d9.jpg
f43bc09d940e8c749ce2630c03452059.jpg

My plan for the next week is to Blue the rest of the stuff that needs to be blued (I plan on doing the hammer, the CA grip frame, the triggers, the cylinder holder, and the trigger guard) as well as start figuring out what needs to be done to get my real parts into the gun.

Last edited:

I’ve got quite the update, after three days of nothing!

Applying my bluing and aging method to the rest of the metal parts that needed to be blued, I aged each part to what they look like on the World-Con Gun. I then painted the side covers, the grip frame, and the CA grip frame, as well as the bottom of the gun Butt with enamel black, and then sanded down both the gun butt and the inside of both frames with 220 grit in order to age it. I also managed to add my real weaver knob and my real binding post in through some drilling and epoxy. All that is needed now is a bit of weathering and for my white wires to come in. I may also re-make and Blue the metal post connecting the SM magazine and the barrel, but besides that I just need to find the right Bulldog and the right Steyr parts!

f5aed0d5a37e19b7816ca328a9fb50aa.jpg
470372882eb38c8c66a415eb87a6a1b6.jpg
48225b30691945f0339ae7b8802bac5a.jpg

My word!

thats coming along very lovely. Great build thread :thumbsup

and because you mentioned the white wires, would you mind me asking what guage you’re using?

My word!

thats coming along very lovely. Great build thread :thumbsup

and because you mentioned the white wires, would you mind me asking what guage you’re using?

Currently I will be using 30 gauge Teflon wire. However if that looks a little thin I’ll be upping it to 28 gauge.

Another PKD

Happy Holidays everyone!

I’ve got a quick update for you all today! The wires have been added to the gun, and for the time being it is finished. So what we have is:

- A Tomenosuke Assembly Kit
- Added Steel Barrel
- Real Binding Post
- Real Weaver Scope Knob
- All metal pieces that are gloss black painted with Enamel
- All other pieces blued.
- 30 AWG Teflon Wire added
- Butt plate painted and weathered.

One last modification I may do is I may go ahead and buy a Steel Cylinder to upgrade the kit even further, but since I would like to put a real Charter Arms into it at some point it may not happen. I also have not put in my real K- Frame trigger yet. I’ve also opted for a more natural weathering so while it has an overall World-Con look, I decided to keep things unweathered and let the pieces weather on their own.

cd3a866ebd483cfcffb1be90e7326a2a.jpg
fa4924956b28b049cc6c7e93a3ee32b3.jpg
b213979b5110ef5641930b69b192a668.jpg
39daf4434d9ec990adb477a572e9dafc.jpg
5689a9388301f524532a2755af8a10bc.jpg
2484e33df882c0d58f0c1679bf547c48.jpg
33d55ac2456a860584298235cce0db0d.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys this Holiday Season!

Last edited:
This is a long overdue Update, as I have been very busy with work and other things. But I have done some small but important updates to the blaster. You can't see EVERY one here as a couple are on the other side of the blaster, but here is where the gun stands as of the last update:

1. Lots of natural weathering on the sight rod
2. Re-Did my wires with longer ones.This gives a far more accurate look on the wire.
3. Blued and installed a Steel Barrel from Don Parker over on PropSummit
4. Removed the Screw holding both the Steyr and the right side cover (with the BP and the Weaver Knob in it) To the Bulldog. Surprisingly, the Steyr Mag doesn't move or flop around at all.
5. Put a chip into my Left side grip where it is on the world-con grip. I goof'd this up a little so i may need to find new grips and re-do it.
6: Took off the anodization on the threaded washer on the Sight Rod side of the Steyr Mag, as well as the color on the two installed Grup Screws
7: Installed and reblued a real Smith and Wesson K-Frame (This picture was taken before the rebluing
8: Reblued the trigger guard to be closer to what we have on the Reciver and Barrel.
9: Gave the metal blued pieces an acrylic rust wash in order to give it a rust look. it is hard to see, but when looked at closely gives amazing detail.

PKD Upgrades.jpg Acrylic Wash Rust.jpg

Additionally, since this thread is now called "My Blade Runner Props", I should probably get around to posting my other props.... All in Due Time.

Well I promised a photo session with all my Blade Runner props and here’s what I’ve got!

e646a68f1dddc7ca4d7badec3079adf9.jpg
e256fa2ea9a3360db2a9b7ba76769c54.jpg

Not included in the photos is my Sapper Morton bag being worked on by my buddy Daniel (@djblingbling1), a micromed kit replica, and a few other replicas that are being sent to me by Daniel.

But there is one more.

This came in today. Any guesses as to what it is? Anyone?

cd2507419b8e87de5a5df5461967e155.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back