The Last Jedi Screening WARNING SPOILERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He served his purpose in TFA. Move on. It's not his story.

Mmmkay, but it's not Luke's story either. The OT had their time, pardon me for wanting fresh characters in the franchise. Finn was the very first character marketed for TFA and he was *heavily* marketed for TFA. He was EQUALLY as important as Rey and it's pretty racist that people can't see that. Why is this Rey's story any more than Finn's if she's not a Skywalker? Did Han suddenly become a background character because he wasn't a Skywalker? Because I remember him being one of the trio, enough to be considered important in TFA. Man I really wonder what it is about Finn that makes everyone devalue him so much. :behave

Why do people care so much about Finn, Poe, Rose, etc? These are background, fairly boring one-dimensional characters. This is the Skywalker saga. Who cares about these other players? Luke friggin Skywalker is back in the mix and people want screen time wasted developing who?...Poe? Finn? Phasma? Why not the guy who fuels the X-wings? These are background characters. In a movie with Luke, Leia, Kylo, Rey, etc., screen time shouldn't be wasted on supporting cast any more than absolutely necessary.
I hope you're trolling with this ridiculous post.

Oh, *****! Here we go with the "racist " bull****. Just invalidated any point you were trying to make. This is the last trilogy in the Skywalker story. Sorry. Not the Finn trilogy. You think people would be threatening Rian Johnson if Finn died? People want the Skywalker story. At least in these films. And, not for nothing, his character is kind of boring. He serves his purpose in a supporting role. Again, THIS is not his story. Maybe they'll make a Finn movie one day. Who knows? But, the character doesn't seem interesting enough to warrant it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Pretty lame characters. Finn is the best of the bunch. The rest? Come on. Talk about stretching the soup.

Even in the posters they are clearing background characters look at their size compare to Luke, Rey, Kylo Ren and Leia he rest are small. Just like the Force Awaken Finn was the red herring even in the poster Rey was in the middle of it so i let us know she the main character, and there was no Luke.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe everyone gets their share of screen time. Poe gets in trouble and demoted, I think, at one point but comes through in the end. Finn defeats Phasma. Her helmet gets cracked in the fight. During the battle she falls to her death. He does not directly kill her. But she dies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@ the Pawn how does Finn get the weapon to kill Phasma who hands it to him? Also how did he break away from capture?

Some are saying that you can't give details about this because you making it up as you are going.

Wow really interesting super fascinating wonder why you think that. :behave Never mind that thinking about his story for literally two seconds reveals a fascinating and complex character who is heavily hinted at being FS in TFA. Sure hope JJ actually picks this up and takes this somewhere. No way his parallel with Obi feeling the destruction of Alderaan was accidental my guy. Also, sure do love how having a conversation about race invalidates the conversation. Sorry if my grubby little PC hands are messing up your legacy flick.

Force sensitive? M'kay. Seeing shapes in the clouds. He was almost virtually inept throughout the film. Rey was Force sensitive, obviously. Finn spent the entire movie scared ****less and getting his ass kicked. Force sensitive? Lol

Finn... literally turned and *heard* the screams from the Hosnian system from Takodana. He was the only one to react. He knew exactly who was hit despite being on a totally foreign planet in broad daylight. He uses a lightsaber fairly successfully despite having never used such a weapon before. He nails the shooting on both the TIE fighter and the Falcon. When he fights Kylo, he not only decently holds his own, he never actually clicks the button to ignite Luke's saber like Rey does in that very scene. You really think he was a bumbling fool the whole time? Better take those racism goggles off, they're really skewing your perspective bud.

You are missing something important here. Your post led to TONS of spoilers all over Twitter and many social media sites. You have ruined something that people wait for for years. The reason people come at you is because they are in denial and hope that you are wrong. Honestly it’s literally depressing to accidentally see spoilers on Twitter. Sounds overdramatic but you have upset a lot of people. And for what? An ego boost from strangers on the internet? You must have known that you leaking things would lead to them spreading to people who didn’t want to see them. Next time maybe just... like... don’t do this.

You are being extremely unfair the prawn.He didn't hold a gun to people's head and force them to read the spoilers. There are people like me, for instance, who like to know what to expect before going for a movie. Scenes like Luke's death would have been a nasty shock if I wasn't prepared to see it, no matter how beautiful the moment.

If people don't want to read the spoilers, then don't go looking for them, and worse, don't blame someone because you went looking for something you didn't want to find in the first place.

The prawn, thank you for taking all the time and effort to answer people's questions.

Last edited:
Why don't you just say something bad about my mother while you're at it. Lol First, he was a trained warrior. Stormtroopers are trained with melee weapons we now know. If by handling a light saber fairly successfully you mean losing and not being able to hold onto it in both cases, one of them being a Stormtrooper, then, Yes. Overwhelming success... Rey kicked his ass, a Stormtrooper kicked his ass, Kylo kicked his arse, even BB-8 and Chewie man-handled him. There could not be anything less force sensitive about the guy. Earnest character. Not Force sensitive. Han is more Force sensitive. He can shoot at and hit stormtroopers without looking and come out of light speed within the atmosphere. That's way more impressive than losing two lightsaber contests and recognizing that the fire in the sky is from the superweapon that you used to work on. That's called memory.

This new crop of fans LOVES to ascribe meaning to every little thing and detail when it was never intended. It was never there.

You know, I could try to get into it with you about media literacy and racism in film but we both know that's not gonna go anywhere because it serves your worldview to just keep being racist. Good luck with that. I genuinely hope Star Wars evolves into something you can't stand but that actually represents the diverse body of fans who love it and deserve its respect.

You know, I could try to get into it with you about media literacy and racism in film but we both know that's not gonna go anywhere because it serves your worldview to just keep being racist. Good luck with that. I genuinely hope Star Wars evolves into something you can't stand but that actually represents the diverse body of fans who love it and deserve its respect.

If you have an issue with a character, take it up directly with lucasfilm instead of bullying other people who have nothing to do with the story writing process.

If you have an issue with a character, take it up directly with lucasfilm instead of bullying other people who have nothing to do with the story writing process.

I do, actually, because I do care to see myself and my friends represented in the media I consume. It's a shame that calling people on their bigotry is considered bullying. I didn't call them names, I didn't mock their mother as I was so hilariously invited to do. It's so tiresome to watch purported fans ignore such beautiful characters and storytelling because they can't get past their own racism and bigotry. That's sad to me. I feel genuine pity that anyone would miss out on these stories because that's a frankly sad way to live. Of course, it's also deeply frustrating because there are so many fans who will see that bigotry and feel excluded from what is otherwise a very fascinating universe. The EU gave us so much content and even with the wipe in canon, there is still so much depth to explore within Star Wars. But how can those stories grow to their full potential when they cater to a single kind of person and shut out everyone else? The world is a fantastically diverse place and it's disgusting to see anyone trying to keep Star Wars from reflecting that.

I do, actually, because I do care to see myself and my friends represented in the media I consume. It's a shame that calling people on their bigotry is considered bullying. I didn't call them names, I didn't mock their mother as I was so hilariously invited to do. It's so tiresome to watch purported fans ignore such beautiful characters and storytelling because they can't get past their own racism and bigotry. That's sad to me. I feel genuine pity that anyone would miss out on these stories because that's a frankly sad way to live. Of course, it's also deeply frustrating because there are so many fans who will see that bigotry and feel excluded from what is otherwise a very fascinating universe. The EU gave us so much content and even with the wipe in canon, there is still so much depth to explore within Star Wars. But how can those stories grow to their full potential when they cater to a single kind of person and shut out everyone else? The world is a fantastically diverse place and it's disgusting to see anyone trying to keep Star Wars from reflecting that.

It could be my limitation but I don't need a character to share my skin tone, gender or orientation to identify with them. Luke has been my favourite character for decades and we have nothing in common if we go by these superficial traits.

Ok let’s shake hands and move on. We are sounding like the idiots over on the other boards. We are friends and family here on the RPF. Can you two apologize to each other and let’s get back to Star Wars and Props! Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be my limitation but I don't need a character to share my skin tone, gender or orientation to identify with them. Luke has been my favourite character for decades and we have nothing in common if we go by these superficial traits.
I deeply appreciate that you can recognize that it is in some way your limitation that gives you that experience. I love Luke too! I think he's a fascinating character and an inspiration because it's rare to see male characters that show such deep love and compassion for everyone around them. It's a strong trait of his and I wanted often as a kid to dress of as him even when I wasn't capable of understanding the films that well. However, I also want to see people like me on screen. There's no arguing that representation, *positive* representation matters to people. Not just because it feels good to see yourself and your story played out on the big screen, but because that means other people are seeing you (hopefully) past stereotypes, are seeing you as human. Of course, if you're already on the big screen, it doesn't feel like diversity matters so much. It wouldn't, you already see yourself. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with seeing yourself and enjoying it, but there is a problem telling other fans that they *shouldn't* want to or need to see themselves just because you see yourself. I hope that sentence makes sense, it's getting pretty late and I'm not as clear as I would like! For what it's worth, I don't think it's idiotic to talk about ****** like this, even in creative spaces and this definitely way calmer than other "discussions" I've had! So thanks for being chill, dakini!

In any case, I swear I did actually come here for the props and costumes! I'm really hoping for some good shots of Poe's ring because I know a fair few folks who would love replicas. Also, I desperately want his jacket, it looks bada$$.

l myself like Reys character because she reminds you of Leia and Amidala only this time we get the female Jedi which was started with Ahsoka in rebels. I wanted Rey to be Luke and Kylo Ren to die but that's a good thing to hate a villain. Finn will have his time to shine but the true travesty was Phasma and Christy has been wasted in the films

- - - Updated - - -

l myself like Reys character because she reminds you of Leia and Amidala only this time we get the female Jedi which was started with Ahsoka in rebels. I wanted Rey to be Luke and Kylo Ren to die but that's a good thing to hate a villain. Finn will have his time to shine but the true travesty was Phasma and Christy has been wasted in the films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back