The Last Jedi Screening WARNING SPOILERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I deeply appreciate that you can recognize that it is in some way your limitation that gives you that experience. I love Luke too! I think he's a fascinating character and an inspiration because it's rare to see male characters that show such deep love and compassion for everyone around them. It's a strong trait of his and I wanted often as a kid to dress of as him even when I wasn't capable of understanding the films that well. However, I also want to see people like me on screen. There's no arguing that representation, *positive* representation matters to people. Not just because it feels good to see yourself and your story played out on the big screen, but because that means other people are seeing you (hopefully) past stereotypes, are seeing you as human. Of course, if you're already on the big screen, it doesn't feel like diversity matters so much. It wouldn't, you already see yourself. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with seeing yourself and enjoying it, but there is a problem telling other fans that they *shouldn't* want to or need to see themselves just because you see yourself. I hope that sentence makes sense, it's getting pretty late and I'm not as clear as I would like! For what it's worth, I don't think it's idiotic to talk about ****** like this, even in creative spaces and this definitely way calmer than other "discussions" I've had! So thanks for being chill, dakini!

In any case, I swear I did actually come here for the props and costumes! I'm really hoping for some good shots of Poe's ring because I know a fair few folks who would love replicas. Also, I desperately want his jacket, it looks bada$$.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make but never mind. FYI my race and orientation are not even represented in star wars movies and I frankly don't care as long as the story is good and the characters are well written.

Honestly, I joined to read spoilers but finding I am an avid collector of action figures and movie memorabilia so intend to stick around.

Last edited:
Well if think about it if someone read what happens in return of the jedi where it talks about Native Fuzzy Bears Fight Stormtroopers and Fish looking admiral would give one of the best Star Wars lines in history its a trap. You would say on paper doesnt sound that coo. Star Wars best moments are when its meant to be seen not heard.

Well if think about it if someone read what happens in return of the jedi where it talks about Native Fuzzy Bears Fight Stormtroopers and Fish looking admiral would give one of the best Star Wars lines in history its a trap. You would say on paper doesnt sound that coo. Star Wars best moments are when its meant to be seen not heard.

Again all movies are best left up to individual interpretations. It was not my intent to taint anyone’s opinion of the film by romanticizing, critiquing, or interpreting major plot points. As I said before this thread got way out of hand with people from all over the world coming here and demanding specific details and then trashing me all over the net. I read those sites last night and what a bunch of fruitcakes. They all need a life because Star Wars is NOT the only thing in the world that matters. People have made death threats to Rian Johnson over this film. WTF! Go see the film on Thursday and then come back here so we can ALL bastardize the hell out of the film like always. That’s what this HOBBY is all about: we are all Monday morning quarterbacks! But let’s have fun at it! I will finally be able to discuss it with my kids and hear their opinions! MTFBWY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take my advice and let this go. This isn't really "our" RPF you're dealing with here, it's the internet mob. Only pain will you find.

Oh, believe me, not even a ruffle in my feathers. I find people like this amusing. It reminds me of a professor I had when I studied film at Ithaca teaching us that Gremlins was a racist portrayal of black people in America. The things these people see in the clouds is more a reflection of their warped world view than anything else. All you can do is shake your head at this kind of nonsense. I don't know how they get through the day.

Oh, believe me, not even a ruffle in my feathers. I find people like this amusing. It reminds me of a professor I had when I studied film at Ithaca teaching us that Gremlins was a racist portrayal of black people in America. The things these people see in the clouds is more a reflection of their warped world view than anything else. All you can do is shake your head at this kind of nonsense. I don't know how they get through the day.

My Uncle went to Ithaca, class of like ‘84 I think. Went to film school at SUNY Purchase.

Does this really have to be our post release discussion thread Vivek?! This abortion should slide off the first page into oblivion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again all movies are best left up to individual interpretations. It was not my intent to taint anyone’s opinion of the film by romanticizing, critiquing, or interpreting major plot points. As I said before this thread got way out of hand with people from all over the world coming here and demanding specific details and then trashing me all over the net. I read those sites last night and what a bunch of fruitcakes. They all need a life because Star Wars is NOT the only thing in the world that matters. People have made death threats to Rian Johnson over this film. WTF! Go see the film on Thursday and then come back here so we can ALL bastardize the hell out of the film like always. That’s what this HOBBY is all about: we are all Monday morning quarterbacks! But let’s have fun at it! I will finally be able to discuss it with my kids and hear their opinions! MTFBWY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodness has it gotten this bad???

I still admire your patience dealing with this, I don’t know what I’ve would’ve done. I can barely remember details from one single viewing. When I saw TFA for the second time I couldn’t believe how much I missed the first time. You’re like more relaxed after the first viewing. At least I am. Some people need to get a life.

Does this really have to be our post release discussion thread @Vivek?! This abortion should slide off the first page into oblivion.

Agreed... also no offence to the Pawn, it's not your fault, but it would be great if this thread could be locked. I tried getting on here last evening and it wouldn't load. My internet connection was solid, so the only conclusion I can come to is that there was too much traffic on the website.

My Uncle went to Ithaca, class of like ‘84 I think. Went to film school at SUNY Purchase.

That was about a decade before my time. Pretty up there, but man, is it bleaks-burg once the leaves fall. The closest I've come to experiencing what life on Hoth must be like. I used to live in the terraces, which are pretty much the highest point on campus, facing the Lake. Let me tell you, the wind off that lake and the snow...

Agreed... also no offence to @the Pawn, it's not your fault, but it would be great if this thread could be locked. I tried getting on here last evening and it wouldn't load. My internet connection was solid, so the only conclusion I can come to is that there was too much traffic on the website.

+1 I would prefer that a new post release thread be opened. Especially a thread without twenty pages of people asking if Luke uses a green lightsaber.

Is Luke thinking about killing Kylo in the flashback? How old was Kylo back then, and what did he do at this point to make Luke thinking about killing him? From all the spoilers i've read this part is the most disturbing for me cause it's really OOC, Luke would never even think about killing a child, and i don't think i'll be able to accept it

Also, i understand why Luke doesnt want to train Rey or train any new students after everything that happened, but if he feels responsible why doesnt he fight? If he thinks he's to blame for Kylo then he should've dealt with him or Snoke, but he's hiding. I get it if she doesnt want to see anyone, is ashamed or something, but he didn't have to work with Resistance, he's powerful, he could've at least try to deal with Snoke during all these years. Does Rey question him about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back