Shut out of Comic-Con once again....

BigStick

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
:cry
Just got done getting my nuts kicked in again. Its funny, I live 30 miles up the road but haven't gotten through their "lottery" system in years. First-world problems I guess....

:cry
Just got done getting my nuts kicked in again. Its funny, I live 30 miles up the road but haven't gotten through their "lottery" system in years. First-world problems I guess....
I hear ya. There are years I struck out on Returning reg day AND General reg day. You may consider signing up for a Volunteer badge.

Hi B,

not sure what you mean? Why not buy a regular ticket to get in?

I wish I could. More people than tics so they have a lottery every year. Had to select my vacation slots for work in September & I took two weeks around the Con weekend in anticipation. Can't change it now. Won't be able to go to any others as I work most weekends. Sigh.

I’ve only taken one year off from Commie-con in the past 15 years... We didn’t even bother for next year... My girlfriend and I decided this past year that we really don’t enjoy it anymore... There is no way in hell l’m camping out overnight to get into a panel... Or the 8+ hour wait to get into things like the Blade Runner Experience... The highlights for us for the past few years have been getting into the private SyFy, Studios USA / UCP parties, but alas my girlfriend no longer works for NBC so we can’t get in anymore... I think we’ll spend the money either going to Dragon Con or perhaps overseas in 2018...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve only taken one year off from Commie-con in the past 15 years... We didn’t even bother for next year... My girlfriend and I decided this past year that we really don’t enjoy it anymore... There is no way in hell l’m camping out overnight to get into a panel... Or the 8+ hour wait to get into things like the Blade Runner Experience... The highlights for us for the past few years have been getting into the private SyFy, Studios USA / UCP parties, but alas my girlfriend no longer works for NBC so we can’t get in anymore... I think we’ll spend the money either going to Dragon Con or perhaps overseas in 2018...

I started going to Comicon in 1974. Went for more than 30 years straight. By the early 2000s, it stopped being fun. Stopped going in 2009, haven't cared since. Too many people, too small a city, it's just not fun anymore. Now I go to Wondercon, which feels like Comicon did in the 80s and 90s. And I get in for free at both cons, I just choose one over the other.

I have to tell you I went to SDCC one year(2014 or 15) and that one year was more than enough for me. 2-3 hour drive another 30-60 mins looking for parking(and we had a reserved spot which we could not find). 1 Hour+ just to our day badges. Super overcrowded halls+rooms. Spending 45-60 minutes to get food only to have to stand up leaning against a wall to scarf down the worst subway sandwhich ever. Then going back to the over crowding halls and quite literally almost getting into two fights over stepping on someone's toe once and bumping into another person as the person infront of me backed up to take a picture or something. Then seeing the 90 minute+ line for Alien Isolation demo.

Last but not least the long walk back to the car only to have to run and find a bathroom to have to "dehydrate" very quickly along with the massive tshirt soaked in sweat as much as a towel after showering. Followed by the downing of one 20 oz gatorade within 30 seconds to re-hydrate and drinking another one on the way back.

I will tell you if I did not have Brad with me and driving each way I probably would of tapped out just trying to find parking. After that one experience I have tapped out for every year since. However I do not mind if anyone wants for next lottery(general admission) waiting in the lottery for anyone who wants a badge(just pm me your comic con ID, and if I do get you a badge cover the expense of it)

DragonCon is a challenge as well,for what I've read in the related thread.Hotel reservations is the biggest hurdle.
I do like the smaller Comic Cons,any comic con really that is available to everyone instead of a select few.

Went to Dragoncon this year and it just didn't feel the same and suffered from a lot of the same problems as SDCC. To many people, to commercialized and family friendly now. The parade now has advertisers like local banks marching in it; just wasn't fun at all and has lost what made it special in the past.

I think "commercial" is the biggest problem with these massive cons. Once Hollywood showed up, the con was done. Too many people and too "commercial". SDCC used to feel like it was by fans, for fans. Now, it's a giant corporation that cares more about Hollywood than it does about the attendees. And San Diego is just way too small of a city to host an event that increases the total population of the city by 15% for a weekend every year. There aren't enough hotels. The convention center is way too small and the city keeps screwing SDCC over by promising to double the size of the convention center, but conveniently never doing it. That results in the fire marshal setting very strict limits and tickets selling out in minutes every year.

It's just not worth it. Dragoncon isn't either. Both have a lot of the same problems.

Vegas. It can handle the traffic, convention size and 99% of the attendees already fly in.

Which has been my suggestion as well. The problem is, Vegas won't kiss the ass of the convention like San Diego typically has. Comicon would be a small fish in a very large pond in Vegas. In San Diego, they're the only game in town. Of course in Vegas, they could grow as far as they wanted, never close down registration, have as many vendors as they wanted, etc. Then again, there's a lot more for people to spend money on in Vegas, so vendors would probably be unhappy. Still, I think that's the only option for the future of Comicon and the only way I'd ever go back to it.

So bigger is the future then...

More like inevitable. The days of the small fan-run con are pretty well gone. We've become a much more litigious society and you have to carry so much insurance just in case someone sues you that people now expect corporate-run mega cons instead of a bunch of people getting together in a hotel over the weekend. I really miss the small conventions that ran on a shoestring.

@BigStick, are you part of a buying group? That might be the best chance of at least getting a single day ticket should you try for SDCC 2019.

I wasn't, but I had 2 of my cousins (one near me & one in New Yawk) also trying to get in, and we all got blanked. I was planning to cosplay for the first time & my NY cousin has an awesome Batman cos. He was going to fly in and stay with us.
@chevyhotrod- When I've gone in years past, we would park at the Coaster station in Carlsbad (about 10 min. from my house) & take the train into town, then the trolley right to the con center. Very relaxing & enjoyable. Would chat up fellow geeks on the way, and no traffic/parking woes.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't, but I had 2 of my cousins (one near me & one in New Yawk) also trying to get in, and we all got blanked. I was planning to cosplay for the first time & my NY cousin has an awesome Batman cos. He was going to fly in and stay with us.

If you and your cousins could get a group together, it would help tremendously. I think our group is close to 20 people. This open registration, while many were from returning registration, we were able to get a good number of tickets for people. Those that didn't get a ticket are getting bumped to the top of the list for next year's opening registration.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back