Spell Tome Build - advice needed

GatorDave113

Jr Member
Hey Guys,

I'm currently working on a spell tome build and I'm needing some advice on what type of paper to use for the pages. What kind of paper do the professionals find themselves using when making those large leather bound books that we see on screen? If it's something that is actually accessible, does anyone know how to find it? If not does anyone know of any good substitutes? I'm really trying to go for that old fantasy (LOTR, D&D, Harry Potter) style oversized spell book.

- GatorDave

Take a trip down to your local art store. Take a look at what they have in their paper section. You should be able to find a variety of paper types with different tone and texture. I'm sure you'll find something that fits your build.

In terms of what's used for screen used props, my guess would be that the pages that are intended to show up on camera are aged and distressed appropriately and the rest of the book is probably just basic white paper that's had the edges toned to match the visible pages. No reason a prop master would make a whole book full of printed pages when only a couple pages show up on screen.

if your going for that old look then heavy watercolor paper or resume paper treated with coffee, tea or ink wash is one easy way to go. even standard printer paper looks nice if you distress it and treat it with coffee, tea or an ink wash of some kind.
here is a link to a youtube tutorial that might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIAYd8Qj7IU

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back