How Star Wars was saved by editing.

JoMamma_Smurf

Master Member
As I'm sure most of you know, the original Star Wars was plagued with production problems of literally every type and is hailed as a huge triumph in film making. But some people may not know that one of the biggest pieces of the film making puzzle to clinch this films success was the editing. I thought I knew a lot on this subject as it relates to Star Wars but this video that literally just popped up in my sub box on youtube really breaks it down and I'm blown away even more by the talent of the editing crew. No matter how much you think you know about the subject, I promise you will enjoy this and learn even more about one of the best films of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to see the workprint. Done by a staff editor at Elstree. Lots of full takes dropped in, so it's much slower in its pacing. Leisurely shots across scenery and characters. Feels more like a war documentary in tone than a taut adventure.

This, incidentally, is what slowed down Star Trek: The Motion(less) Picture. The VFX people took so long the director pretty much had no choice but to drop in entire sequences untrimmed or intercut, in order to make the hard deadline Paramount had locked in months prior.

Neat - I just got done reading the Rinzler book a few days ago, so this was a fun little summary of some of the wonderful detail that's in that book.

Dan

Great video, thanks for posting the link!

I have only one beef, which I did respectfully post in the comments section, is that it is not clear that most of the adjustments he mentions took place BEFORE that screening for DePalma, Spielberg, etc. It was not an early cut they saw, and certainly not the British assembly. They were approaching the finishing line at that point.

Despite how they might be as people, and how they acted after the fact, Lucas making Star Wars without Marcia Lucas and Gary Kurtz makes for a very different animal.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back