Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Formerly known as Vegeta JoMamma_Smurf's Avatar
    From
    St. Pete, FL
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 2:27 PM - How Star Wars was saved by editing. #1

As I'm sure most of you know, the original Star Wars was plagued with production problems of literally every type and is hailed as a huge triumph in film making. But some people may not know that one of the biggest pieces of the film making puzzle to clinch this films success was the editing. I thought I knew a lot on this subject as it relates to Star Wars but this video that literally just popped up in my sub box on youtube really breaks it down and I'm blown away even more by the talent of the editing crew. No matter how much you think you know about the subject, I promise you will enjoy this and learn even more about one of the best films of all time.

2. RPF Premium Member Mr Webber's Avatar
    From
    Terra Australis
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 3:07 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #2

Remarkable. TFS
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 3:22 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #3

I really want to see the workprint. Done by a staff editor at Elstree. Lots of full takes dropped in, so it's much slower in its pacing. Leisurely shots across scenery and characters. Feels more like a war documentary in tone than a taut adventure.

This, incidentally, is what slowed down Star Trek: The Motion(less) Picture. The VFX people took so long the director pretty much had no choice but to drop in entire sequences untrimmed or intercut, in order to make the hard deadline Paramount had locked in months prior.
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 4:04 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #4

There have been good online articles about Marcia Lucas' importance as editor:

http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryo...rcialucas.html

http://www.syfy.co.uk/news/3-ways-wh...ve-star-wars-0
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 4:08 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #5

Tagged to watch later tonight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 4:10 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #6

Fascinating stuff. Thanks, JoMamma, for posting!

The Wook
    From
    United Kingdom
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 4:50 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #7

That was cool. Thanks
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 5:50 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #8

This was a excellent watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 6:04 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #9

Great video! Thanks.
    From
    Colorado
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 6:51 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #10

Neat - I just got done reading the Rinzler book a few days ago, so this was a fun little summary of some of the wonderful detail that's in that book.

Dan
    From
    I live on earth.
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 8:41 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #11

I had known that the editing saved it, but not exactly what they did to save it. Very nice watch.
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 8:48 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #12

It should be noted here that *every* film is only as good as its editing.

The Wook
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 9:14 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #13

More proof Jabba need not be in ANH
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 12:42 AM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #14

Also-- there's BTS footage of George and crew after watching the rough cut of TPM and basically had the same result. Only that time, he was surrounded by yes-men. Too bad DePalma wasn't there.
  15. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 1:05 AM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #15

SethS said: View Post
    Also-- there's BTS footage of George and crew after watching the rough cut of TPM and basically had the same result. Only that time, he was surrounded by yes-men. Too bad DePalma wasn't there.
    “I think I may have gone too far in some places” or something to that effect lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 4:47 AM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #16

That’s the one!
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 6:29 AM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #17

Great video, thanks for posting the link!

I have only one beef, which I did respectfully post in the comments section, is that it is not clear that most of the adjustments he mentions took place BEFORE that screening for DePalma, Spielberg, etc. It was not an early cut they saw, and certainly not the British assembly. They were approaching the finishing line at that point.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 12:15 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #18

She whos name is forbidden to be spoken....

Scott Graham said: View Post
    There have been good online articles about Marcia Lucas' importance as editor:
    From
    Pacific NW
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 1:09 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #19

what seems to have been forgotten is she was one in a team of editors
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 1:09 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #20

Despite how they might be as people, and how they acted after the fact, Lucas making Star Wars without Marcia Lucas and Gary Kurtz makes for a very different animal.
    From
    Pacific NW
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 1:21 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #21

that includes the whole long list of people in the end credits
    From
    Peoria, AZ, USA
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 1:36 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #22

Anyone who was even peripherally involved in film in Northern California during the 70s and 80s knows the truth about Marcia Lucas' contribution to George's films, and other films. She was a great editor and had a wonderful story sense and grasp of what audiences wanted on the screen. Arguably, George Lucas would not be the "legend" he is without Marcia. His "cleansing" of her from the history of LucasFilm, is the proof of just how vindictive he could be. Marcia was a major reason he is now where he is in the film world.
  23. Keepin' it real since '00 RPF Premium Member Funky's Avatar
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 1:43 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #23

Sourdoh said: View Post
    Anyone who was even peripherally involved in film in Northern California during the 70s and 80s knows the truth about Marcia Lucas' contribution to George's films, and other films. She was a great editor and had a wonderful story sense and grasp of what audiences wanted on the screen. Arguably, George Lucas would not be the "legend" he is without Marcia. His "cleansing" of her from the history of LucasFilm, is the proof of just how vindictive he could be. Marcia was a major reason he is now where he is in the film world.
    This is painfully true. Without Marcia George Lucas would NOT be a household name.
    This, and this alone, is the primary reason I've never cared for George. True she stung him, but she MADE him.
    He needs to get over it and give proper credit where it's due instead of treating her like Voldemort.
  24. RPF Premium Member Dem Bones's Avatar
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 2:39 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #24

Athena Studios did a nice series of interviews with various key figures for the 40th anniversary of Star Wars. Interview clips with Marcia, Richard Edlund, Harrison Ellenshaw, Ken Ralston and a bunch more can seen on their Vimeo channel:

https://vimeo.com/athenastudios
  25. RPF Premium Member DaddyfromNaboo's Avatar
    From
    Germany
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 3:35 PM - Re: How Star Wars was saved by editing. #25

SethS said: View Post
    If I recall it correctly, there was an infamous screening where George showed a cut to Steven Spielberg and some other colleagues, and the consensus was that he better make a lot of changes to the movie. George allegedly even started to reedit the movie, but after a short time he nixed that effort and decided to "stay true to his vision" or something along that line. So, yes, only yes men booked for the fantasy flight that the PT was.