Ghostbusters "Belt Gizmo" from the first movie

Filandrius

Sr Member
Hey everyone! I just recently completed the last element of my Ghostbuster uniform from the first movie, and I'd thought I'd share a few pics, since it was an interesting (and fun) build, starting with a very nice (and lucky) find. :p

The gizmos used on screen in the first movie were calculator boards from vintage Sanyo ICC-808D with Nixie displays. I managed to get my hands on a (fully functional) ICC-802D, which has the same board, except with a VCD display (visually it look pretty much the same, with the really fragile glass tubes and all, which explains why the tubes were replaced with fake plastic ones during production)

So after removing the board from the calculator and unsoldering the internal battery, I built myself the rest of the gizmo, scratch-building a daughterboard by soldering a bunch of electronic components and attaching it to the main board with a coiled shaver cord (just like the screen-used props)

Long story short, here's a few pics to document my build. Really satisfied with the results! :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 740
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,506
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 423
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 677
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 493
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 7a.jpg
    7a.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 416
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 892
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,358
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 842
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back