Advice for carving/sanding materials

Yarko

Hello!

I want to hear some opinions on this. I have an epoxy resin/fiberglass helmet I made a couple of years ago. I have decided that I want to fix some mistakes in the overall shape and also produce a smoother and sharper version. However, I find that dremel-ing, bondo-ing and sanding epoxy is a pain (specially because I have to do it outside and its really cold in here).

So I though I could make a casting in plaster, which would be way easier to work with. However I fear plaster might be too brittle and wouldn't allow me to get decent results.

Is there a third alternative you have used with success for such a thing? I've read about ultracal and hydrocal, but I don't think they are really 'carvable' or easy to tool.

Hydrocal is great for carving and shaping. It's a beta plaster, which means it's a little softer than the Ultracal but still very structurally sound.. It will take chisel, rasp, and file work like a treat.

I often had to retool lifecasts in hydrocal, to remove blemishes from the casts or even whole lips and eyelids. Super easy to get a nice machined surface.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back