Subscribe
    From
    Madrid, Spain
    6 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 7:09 AM - Advice for carving/sanding materials #1

Hello!

I want to hear some opinions on this. I have an epoxy resin/fiberglass helmet I made a couple of years ago. I have decided that I want to fix some mistakes in the overall shape and also produce a smoother and sharper version. However, I find that dremel-ing, bondo-ing and sanding epoxy is a pain (specially because I have to do it outside and its really cold in here).

So I though I could make a casting in plaster, which would be way easier to work with. However I fear plaster might be too brittle and wouldn't allow me to get decent results.

Is there a third alternative you have used with success for such a thing? I've read about ultracal and hydrocal, but I don't think they are really 'carvable' or easy to tool.
    From
    L.A.
    6 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 7:29 AM - Re: Advice for carving/sanding materials #2

Hydrocal is great for carving and shaping. It's a beta plaster, which means it's a little softer than the Ultracal but still very structurally sound.. It will take chisel, rasp, and file work like a treat.

I often had to retool lifecasts in hydrocal, to remove blemishes from the casts or even whole lips and eyelids. Super easy to get a nice machined surface.
  3. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    6 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 9:35 PM - Re: Advice for carving/sanding materials #3

I've never worked with Ultracal but have with Hydrocal. Whole-heartedly agree with the comment above!
    From
    Madrid, Spain
    5 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 11:16 AM - Re: Advice for carving/sanding materials #4

Thanks! I'll try that then, sounds promissing