Revell 1/2256 Venator WIP

Hey @computergeek ,

In case you’re interested - and by no means am I implying anything else but , in case you are ...

That etch @Darph Bobo used was sold through HLJ ( now discontinued ) , but I found it at ‘ acustion.net ‘ , under ‘ ATS - 7907 1/12 radiator panel ‘ . Not cheap though .

K&S mesh can be found at ‘ Multifilla.com ‘ , under ‘ Photo etched mesh 1/8” diamond ‘ . They’ve got various sizes ranging from 1/8 - 3/64” (2 - 0.5mm) .

Sorry I don’t know how to link . You’d type in what’s between the inverted commas .

I’m in no way affiliated with these companies , just came across them after looking for replacement windows for my eventual Venator build that’s all .

:cheersGed

p.s. Just found out that if you touch ( I’m using an iPad ) the multifilla info , it’ll take you to the website !? How’s that work ?

Thanks for the Acustion link! I just ordered the 1/12 as well as some of the smaller ones (1/20, 1/24) to attempt to have different window sizes. Not sure when it will come in, hopefully in time for me to finish this before Wonderfest!

I'm sure I will have extra left over if you or others wanted some. We can figure out shipping and such whenever I get it from Acustion.

And as for the link, I think if you type in a web address, the forum will sometimes automatically create a hyperlink to that website.

Update time!

Looking at Darph Bobo's thread, I decided to pick up a 1/700 WWII ship kit for greeblies. Found this one at my local hobby shop, and it had a lot of great parts! I greeblied up the bridge, adding in some detail that was missing from the base kit.

6Xxb2GBl.jpg

I got my photoetch panels in! Using my photoetch snips, I cut out a few rows of windows and attached them to the bridge. I used the 1/12 for the long parts at the bottom, and 1/20 for the others.

Here's what the bridge assembly looks like now-

r2qmZv8l.jpg

A2fi4WMl.jpg

pw89vdtl.jpg

For the actual bridge pieces, instead of trying to paint the tiny windows and hoping the LED doesn't bleed through, I'm going to use the 1/24 photoetch as the windows. Here's a quick test-

q2hpTRil.jpg

Chugging right along. I tried to paint the top and bottom hulls, but ended up spilling paint on both of them.. One of them was an airbrush issue and one was just me being dumb. Anyway, I'm working on stripping those again, priming, and painting. For my hull color, I think I am going to try a blend of Vallejo Pale Blue Grey and Vallejo Insignia White. The Pale Blue Grey is just a bit too dark for my taste, but it should work well as a panel accent color.

Hey computergeek , those window frames are looking sweet ! . Thanks for sharing this update .
Were they as difficult to cut / trim as Darph Bobo mentioned awhile ago over on his build thread cause they’re sturdier than regular photo etch , material - wise ?

Those 1/700 greeblies do enhance the bridge towers , are you planning to judiciously plant more around the entire vessel ?
I’ve purchased some assorted 1/350 & 1/700 scale photo etch for ships from HLJ ( they were on sale ) , and plan to get a few 1/1200 scale battleships ( greeblies ) for my ( eventual ) Venator & Zvezda SD kit builds as well .

That image in pic #5 , recall you mentioning 3D parts - is that one for the bridge ( top ) section ? Asking cause it looks ( hard to tell from angle of pic ) like it’s a transparent copy of one I’ve seen on Shapeways . That scale etch looks terrific as window frames for those smaller sections too !

p.s. PM sent

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @computergeek , those window frames are looking sweet ! . Thanks for sharing this update .
Were they as difficult to cut / trim as @Darph Bobo mentioned awhile ago over on his build thread cause they’re sturdier than regular photo etch , material - wise ?

Those 1/700 greeblies do enhance the bridge towers , are you planning to judiciously plant more around the entire vessel ?
I’ve purchased some assorted 1/350 & 1/700 scale photo etch for ships from HLJ ( they were on sale ) , and plan to get a few 1/1200 scale battleships ( greeblies ) for my ( eventual ) Venator & Zvezda SD kit builds as well .

That image in pic #5 , recall you mentioning 3D parts - is that one for the bridge ( top ) section ? Asking cause it looks ( hard to tell from angle of pic ) like it’s a transparent copy of one I’ve seen on Shapeways . That scale etch looks terrific as window frames for those smaller sections too !

p.s. PM sent

They weren't that hard to cut, but I used a brand new pair of these photoetch snips from Amazon. They weren't cheap, but they cut really well.

I think I'm done with the greeblies. I'm running low on parts from the donor kit, and I'm pretty happy with the way things look. I'm going to take a look once everything is primed.

I need to find a decent sale on these donor kits. I paid way too much for that kit to just use it for greeblies :lol

That is the bridges from Shapeways printed in frosted extreme detail. I had planned to meticulously paint the tiny window frames that were printed in the model, but as I was brushing on primer, I realized the 1/24 photoetch would work well. The only issue is it won't be "inset" into the bridge, it will wrap around the outside, but for the scale it should look fine. And sorry for the bad pic, I was trying to get the camera to see the windows without making them a giant glare!

Those windows look perfect

I also like the added details from the 1/700 ships

Thanks! The photoetch really has a sharpness that my printed windows were lacking. And the fact that I have smaller window options is a plus!

Well it's been a few months!!

I did get most of it done in time for WonderFest. Ended up working all night the night before to get the electronics all situated, and then ended up with a short that caused my RGB LEDs to only shine blue (instead of the blue-green I wanted). The Odyssey Slipways Light Cruisers had to shelved, I wasn't able to get everything worked out in time for those.

Anyway, here are final night pics and competition pics. These are all from my phone, I do need to do a little photoshoot with this dio, but haven't yet.

(I think the blue is "correct" in this picture)
Mfhy9NBl.jpg

RqpwfrLl.jpg

gURse0Gl.jpg

8zT2ACzl.jpg

My very talented brother painted the tiny ships. He's much better with the small stuff than I am, and I was running out of time doing all the other stuff! For the guns on the gunships, I used a thin wire I found at my hobby shop (I think it may have been guitar wire). I think it was around .3mm.

We ended up not placing, which was a bit discouraging, but there was so much good stuff in the contest. I've learned a great deal from this project- namely not to rush a project for a competition!

Thanks to all who have responded here, and given me inspiration! Especially you, Darph Bobo :)

I may come back to this project in the future, at least to fix some light bleed issues, the RGB LED wiring, and add the Light Cruisers. For now, thanks for looking, and I hope someone is able to get some inspiration from my build!

Whoa !..., Didn’t realise you’d completed the Venator build and planned a diorama scene for it with other craft .
Congrats !... and yes please to more pictures of them , when you’ve the time ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back