Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    1 Week Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 1:26 AM - Revell 1/2256 Venator WIP #1

Hey all,

I've been slowly working on this since May and figured it was about time to create a WIP. I'm building Revell's 1/2256 Venator kit with fiber optics, lighted engines, and a scratch built hanger bay. I'm also using many 3d printed pieces from shapeways for the hangar, bridge, and engine exhaust patterns. This is my first real kit build (I did the Revell 1/4000 SD as a practice to learn airbrushing before this, but that doesn't really count), so comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

So far I've drilled most of my holes for the FO and began to run the .25mm tonight. I have some .5mm to run, but I need to order the filament

I've been playing with RGB LEDs to get the "right" blue for the FO (regular blue LEDs just don't do it for me ). I think I have gotten pretty close with this combination

For the hanger I picked up some of the Oddysey Slipways Republic Gunships. I'm going to pick up some ARC 170's and troop transports soon to fill out the bay

And for the bridge section, I've cut out the window portions which will be replaced with something to give the appearance of windows. I am going to try to cut some pieces on my brother's laser cutter to glue in place, but the little slits may be too small. I've seen other builds use printed transparencies and diffusion material, which could also work.

The slits need some more cleanup

Anyway, thanks for checking it out, comments/tips/tricks/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    1 Week Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 9:43 AM - Re: Revell 1/2256 Venator WIP #2

Off to a good start
  3. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    6 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 12:25 AM - Re: Revell 1/2256 Venator WIP #3

G’day @computergeek ,

Took delivery of one of these myself awhile ago . Maybe my favourite vehicle / ship from the PT . Haven’t started on it yet , but having seen some terrific images of detailed ‘ lighted ‘ builds out there , I’m really looking forward to following a thread from the get go - before I get the opportunity to start on mine . Subbed !

For the ‘ windows ‘ , maybe consider scribing one side of clear thin acrylic sheet - add a thin wash for frames / details , and lightly sand other side to obtain a diffused effect ( side facing in ) , all prior to carefully cutting out and positioning ?

Ged
    Last edited by gedmac66; 6 Days Ago at 12:41 AM.
    From
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    5 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 2:52 PM - Re: Revell 1/2256 Venator WIP #4

Excellent, it's great to see people still enjoying this kit! I look forward to seeing how yours progresses, You're doing a lot of similar things to what I did on mine.
  5. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    5 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 4:11 PM - Re: Revell 1/2256 Venator WIP #5

blakeh1 said: View Post
    Off to a good start
    Thanks! I'll keep this thread updated with progress. I don't get as much time as I'd like for modeling, so it may take awhile.

gedmac66 said: View Post
    G’day @computergeek ,

Took delivery of one of these myself awhile ago . Maybe my favourite vehicle / ship from the PT . Haven’t started on it yet , but having seen some terrific images of detailed ‘ lighted ‘ builds out there , I’m really looking forward to following a thread from the get go - before I get the opportunity to start on mine . Subbed !

For the ‘ windows ‘ , maybe consider scribing one side of clear thin acrylic sheet - add a thin wash for frames / details , and lightly sand other side to obtain a diffused effect ( side facing in ) , all prior to carefully cutting out and positioning ?

Ged
    Good idea on the windows! I'm hoping my lasercut styrene will work out to give the windows some depth, but if not, I'll give that a try!

I definitely reccommend going on Shapeways and picking up some drop in replacement parts. The bridge especially looks much better than the original pieces.

Here's engine inserts to get a good light effect when you install the LEDs

https://www.shapeways.com/product/87...995&li=ostatus

And here's the vendor that makes just about everything else-

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cosm...2256+Fleet&s=0

You can go crazy on these upgrades if you want, I'm just sticking with the hangar bay, bridge, and engines.

Darph Bobo said: View Post
    Excellent, it's great to see people still enjoying this kit! I look forward to seeing how yours progresses, You're doing a lot of similar things to what I did on mine.
    Thanks! Do you have a thread or pictures? I'd love to take a look!
    From
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    5 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 5:29 PM - Re: Revell 1/2256 Venator WIP #6

I can do one up when I get home tonight