Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2017
    4 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 5:56 PM - Novice at kit building and finishing. What all do I need to finish a kit? #1

I have one of rgriesbeck's Deckard Blaster kits on the way, and I'm trying to figure out everything I'll need to make this thing come out alright. Paints, glues, sandpaper, etc? I have nothing at the moment. What all would you guys use?
  2. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 12:53 AM - Re: Novice at kit building and finishing. What all do I need to finish a kit? #2

Plasti-fill putty/filler, 2-in-1 sandable filler primer by Rust-Oleum. Primers and paints (spray paint, enamels, acrylics, whatever tickles your fancy). Also a few exacto knives and blades, as well as lots of higher-grit (180-200) sand paper blocks/sponges.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
    3 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 10:05 AM - Re: Novice at kit building and finishing. What all do I need to finish a kit? #3

All the above plus a drill and various drill bits AND a Dremel with various bits. These two will be the most expensive.
  4. Keepin' it real since '00 RPF Premium Member Funky's Avatar
    3 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 11:11 AM - Re: Novice at kit building and finishing. What all do I need to finish a kit? #4

dropshipbob said: View Post
    All the above plus a drill and various drill bits AND a Dremel with various bits. These two will be the most expensive.
    Yup. For any model/prop builder your Dremel will be your number one tool.
  5. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    From
    WA state
    3 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 3:40 PM - Re: Novice at kit building and finishing. What all do I need to finish a kit? #5

I like to use 3M automotive sandpaper. Comes in a black rectangular sleeve and is usually stocked wherever the Bondo is stocked. Lasts way longer and performs better than woodworking sandpaper. More flexible. Can be blown out and continually re-used.

Also, I use a "Hyper Tough" brand rotary tool from Wal-Mart. The one that comes as a 106 piece kit for about $20 ($14 as of this post). It performs like the $75-$100 corded Dremels and takes Dremel accessories.

Get some hand files, needle files, etc. Sometimes you do not need the rotary-tool, just a quick file or something that needs a delicate touch.
    3 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 5:37 PM - Re: Novice at kit building and finishing. What all do I need to finish a kit? #6

In addition to what's been listed above: Patience. Never rush on a build, it may take longer, be more frustrating, but the end result is always better for it. That and have fun doing it.
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    From
    So.Cal.
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 5:50 AM - Re: Novice at kit building and finishing. What all do I need to finish a kit? #7

All the tools listed above with a good, dedicated, uninterrupted space to work with adequate lighting
    and take plenty of pictures for future reference.
    If your going to use X-Acto blades, you may need band-aids