Elro2k's Build Thread - MGC Mauser Update

elro2k

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Man it's been a while since I've posted on this forum. Lots of stuff has happened since my last post, and I wanted to share something specific with you guys and gals. A long time ago I got some awesome 3D Mauser files from @rogerrabt and I've been working on them on and off for about a year. They're off of his actual M30, so they're supper accurate. Even the internals are there so this will be a fully functioning replica. But the M30 isn't the same thing as the Wartime / MGC model. Here's a great link to the Mauser C96's production history and variations: http://askmisterscience.com/1896mauserbackup/id.htm Thanks to @scottjua for giving me that link.

Anyway, with that website for reference I began remodeling the M30 files in blender. I've changed a few things, like removing the step in the barrel, and the height of the bottom milling recession on the back of the lower frame. I've also been working on the lanyard ring, as it's not the same direction on the Wartime commercial.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 12.14.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-06 at 12.16.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-06 at 12.16.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-06 at 12.19.26 PM.png

I've done some modifications by myself but I'm not sure what else I need to do. There are a few more things I know I need to change, which I'll get to in a little bit. Bottom line is, I need to know what else to modify. Here are a few I am aware of

Barrel Length
Finish the lanyard ring
Actual measurements of the lower frame milling recession
All trademarks and correct fonts for everything
Correct Sight marker lengths
Number of lines on the grips (not sure how many, I think it's 30 or 36) but I might just replace the grips with wooden ones anyway
Hammer size / shape?

If you guys know anything else that needs to be changed to match the Wartime commercial it would be GREATLY appreciated. Hopefully when I'm done this'll be one of the most accurate Mauser models out there. I even see a run in the future, but I have no idea how that would work. So I have a few questions before I open this discussion up.

Would you all rather have an MGC replica or a Wartime commercial replica? Would there be a need for both when making ANH / ESB / ROTJ replicas? Would any of y'all be willing to contribute if I were to ask rogerrabt to make the files public? (They're not mine to give out) I would want to make the files public for everyone once they're done. What are the most accurate 3D files for ANH / ESB / ROTJ builds out there? I know @chubsANDdoggers makes some but he hasn't gotten back to me about my interest in buying them.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me. Let's get this thing done!

Last edited:
Re: Elro2k's 3D Mauser and other projects

Quick Update: I ordered a Creality Cr-10 3D Printer after a ton of research on high build volume printers. Apparently it's the Honda of the 3D printer world. Not pretty but reliable and well made. I'll be printing out the Mauser and some other props in the coming weeks, so stay tuned...

Re: Elro2k's 3D Mauser and other projects

So my printer arrived a few days ago and I have no idea how I can live without one now. Maybe some day the hype will die down but I am so happy with my purchase. To anyone looking for a prop replicating / cosplay printer, look no further than the Creality CR-10. I have had no problems with it whatsoever, and the only print failures I’ve had were because of calibration and bed leveling (Which were completely my fault)

That being said, I began printing the Obi Wan saber that is so very popular. You can find that thread here https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=212739

I’ve already filled it in with filler primer and sanded it. One more coat of filler and sanding should do the trick, then I’ll go on to painting.

The Mauser will be printed as soon as I get more filament, so stay tuned!

0d0e29816a1419aeb385eed9e6aa3695.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Elro2k's Build Thread - 3D Printed Mauser

Well it's been a time and a half, I have high school to thank for that. Anyway I've gotten most of the printing done on the Mauser, just have to order a few parts from shapeways that require more accuracy than I can get with my printer, as well as some springs I need to order from real steel replacement parts for actual Mausers. If anyone has alternatives for this, please let me know. The real stuff can get pretty expensive. I'm looking for the trigger spring, the magazine spring, the mainspring and the firing pin spring. Anyway, here is the Mauser so far.

IMG_5803.jpgIMG_5802.jpg

All of the parts function properly, and I can even get her to chamber a dummy round. However, I still need those springs in order for the entire thing to function like an MGC would.

And here she is taken apart

IMG_5807.jpg

So like I said in the previous post, if anyone has accurate files for the extra parts like the Hensoldt scope or flash hider, just let me know and I'll print them off to see if they work for this model. I still need some modifications done, so if anyone is good with 3D modeling software and wants to help out that would be awesome.

Re: Elro2k's Build Thread - 3D Printed Mauser

Alright buckle up boys and girls it's update time. I've spent 3 damn hours staring at a computer screen trying to figure out why this infernal machine (Indiana Jones reference intended) isn't working like I've been praying it would for the past week. And it turns out it was simply a dimension problem. You see, in the original files, there are some parts where the pieces clip and don't entirely match up. A simple mistake that can easily be taken care of if someone who knew sketchup better than me would volunteer. HINT HINT

Kidding guys everyone's contributions have been greatly appreciated. I mean look at this page. It's practically gushing with awesome advice from members of this community coming to my rescue. :lol

In all seriousness, here are the clipped parts

Clip1.pngClip2.png

Exhibit A is a problem with the lock frame clipping into the mag well. Exhibit B is the hammer digging into the takedown latch. I PM'ed the original maker of these files to see if he can be of assistance as well.

If anyone would like to help me with these problems it would be greatly appreciated. Just PM me for the files. :D

PS

Please don't ban me for sarcasm ADMINS, ya boy is just trying to get some assistance and I probably won't remember typing this when I wake up in 4 hours.

Re: 3D Printed Mauser HELP

There's some pretty good files for DL-44 conversion on thingiverse. As for the mesh modification, I can't help you there. This is looking really good though!

Re: 3D Printed Mauser HELP

There's some pretty good files for DL-44 conversion on thingiverse. As for the mesh modification, I can't help you there. This is looking really good though!

Thank you! I will look into the files on thingiverse. That definitely might be the way to go in terms of turning this thing into a DL-44

That's an impressive print! There must be done tight tolerances on the model

Yeah the tolerances are really precise, especially on the real thing. I printed at the best resolution possible and I still had to sand a good amount of the parts. But it was worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool stuff, I'd love to try these files on my printer!

I managed to "finagle" or 'jury-rig" my own C96 model (from some files I found), but it's not functional like this.

I think you should smooth out that barrel transition, and tweak a free other details so it's more like the "Star Wars-appropriate" version, but that's just my taste.

Really impressive job!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Very cool stuff, I'd love to try these files on my printer!

I managed to "finagle" or 'jury-rig" my own C96 model (from some files I found), but it's not functional like this.

I think you should smooth out that barrel transition, and tweak a free other details so it's more like the "Star Wars-appropriate" version, but that's just my taste.

Really impressive job!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much! My plan is to make the files more accurate to the one used in original trilogy after I fix the clipping issues. But I think the first fully functioning version of this model will have to be with less accurate parts, but accuracy is on the agenda.

Wow ! That's amazing :D It's the first time I ever see that kind of mechanism in a 3D print :D
Very impressive

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking forward to the trigger spring :D

Any updates on this?

Would be SO INCREDIBLE to have a replica MGC we could print out!

Any updates on this?

Would be SO INCREDIBLE to have a replica MGC we could print out!

Yessir, a few other functions have been smoothed out. Check the new video right here:

https://youtu.be/xvphR7xJ7e0

Still working on getting a few more real steel parts for the internals. Some come on eBay every once and a while so now it’s just a waiting game. I’ll keep this thread updated with anything else new!

Hi everyone! Man, it's been a while since I've updated this thread, but I have great news - I've purchased an MGC C96!

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

The plan is to now 3D scan this bad boy instead of modeling off of a real Mauser. It will still be printed, most likely on a resin printer this time. Who knows, if I can get it to work I might do a limited run in the future. More updates to come!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back