TIE Advanced X-1

I still haven't decided,but will not leave it hollow. I was thinking of creating my own from some PVC pipe or something that I can fit on each end and then sleeve in something smaller to fit behind the cockpit, but I have only gotten as far as thinking about it. Any advice or thoughts are welcome. On that note I don't mind if everyone and anyone posts their TIE in this thread as it will be helpful to all........

Use the armature. Resin cannot and should not be trusted to hold its shape over time. It's fine as an outer "shell" but not as a structure.

Last edited:
I don’t own one of these kits, but one could have a local machine shop turn down the armature a bit in the area it interferes with the cockpit. Would be inexpensive to have it done.

The cockpit floor shim isn't necessary now - Steve modded his pattern after I did that one. I think I had to shave some of the cockpit to get it to fit in front of the armature, yeah... It's JAZZ, baby!

I still haven't decided,but will not leave it hollow. I was thinking of creating my own from some PVC pipe or something that I can fit on each end and then sleeve in something smaller to fit behind the cockpit, but I have only gotten as far as thinking about it. Any advice or thoughts are welcome. On that note I don't mind if everyone and anyone posts their TIE in this thread as it will be helpful to all........

Thanks for sharing the thread, I've pretty much finished mine, just some black paint on some parts to do.

front.jpgBack.jpg

Looks great Ron!

I’ve got a question about the plastruct I beams. I only see them used on the end of the wing center panels. There’s so much provided. Where does the rest of it go?
Thanks Scott.

One should be a U. It goes on the back seam where top and bottom join.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I've ordered one from Steve. Just to ask what's the consensus on the colour of the X-1? Is it the same dark blue grey - Tamiya TS-32 or a different shade of grey?

Thanks

From some long ago reference and paint chips from original model posted here the TS 32 was the closest off the shelf color, I don't remember the Humbrol 248 was listed but its good to know :)

Last edited:
How did i miss this thread!
Well, I received my TIE Advanced on Saturday (after I returned from TLJ), and I was nothing less than amazed. every bit the quality I expect from Steve after having bought his standard TIE and then Hero TIE wings a couple years later. There was little to no flash, pour stubs are tiny, no voids, bubbles or even bad panel lines that need rescribing ( 2 tiny warts in one panel line that I may leave as they are less objectionable than a slightly off line).

The most amazing part though, is how it goes together. The main hull goes together and mates perfectly, using keys it nearly pressure fits closed! The recessed areas all fit perfectly in their respective spots so well glue is not required ( but should be used). Includes decals! and plastruct needed for edge details ( I think, haven't riddled out everything)

This kit goes together like a Bandai! Revell should feel ashamed!

Glad to hear you like the fit of the kit, A lot of blood,Sweat and long hours went into engineering the wings & fuselage.
I'd love to lay my own eyes on one of these in person....still waiting for mine!

I'm at the beginning of building mine, just curious how you guys attached the wings. I'm using the new armature it comes with and thought I could use a washer and nut but the armature sticks out an inch or so. Did you open the wings attachment holes more and glue or able to insert a set screw? Thanks in advanced for any help

I'm at the beginning of building mine, just curious how you guys attached the wings. I'm using the new armature it comes with and thought I could use a washer and nut but the armature sticks out an inch or so. Did you open the wings attachment holes more and glue or able to insert a set screw? Thanks in advanced for any help
Sorry I missed this. I didn't have an issue with the Armature being too long so a couple washers for the bolts and magnets on the covers.

Weird, could you offer a picture of what you are dealing with there?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back