TIE Advanced X-1

Fett_Ish

Sr Member
Hey guys, I just ordered up a TIE advanced from Steve and was wondering if there is anyone out there who got one and actually built it. I imagine as it is CAD created, it should go together pretty smoothly, but every build has a hiccup, and as this is my final Studio Scale build ( the fighters from 'A New Hope" are all in my collection, and 2 are actually on display!, Y-wing on bench). Mr. Eaton started a thread, but I believe he got caught up in other builds. Any insight is appreciated and I will use this as my build thread. Thanks in advance.

Sorry but I won't be of any help to your question but I wanted to ask where and how did you buy this? I've emailed a number of times enquiring about a tie fighter and snowspeeder on the website and have never received any replies.

I just placed an order as well. Looking forward to this one too!

Sorry but I won't be of any help to your question but I wanted to ask where and how did you buy this? I've emailed a number of times enquiring about a tie fighter and snowspeeder on the website and have never received any replies.

I got a pretty quick response through his facebook page a week ago.

Last edited:
Same as Carnet there^ I saw someone mention Facebook, looked him up there and instant messaged him. Got back to me within 24, got the invoice 24 later,and hopefully its on its way here...

It’ll be interesting to see if he gets back thru the website. Not everyone is on FB... Seen the pics and looks like a stunning kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I received my TIE Advanced on Saturday (after I returned from TLJ), and I was nothing less than amazed. every bit the quality I expect from Steve after having bought his standard TIE and then Hero TIE wings a couple years later. There was little to no flash, pour stubs are tiny, no voids, bubbles or even bad panel lines that need rescribing ( 2 tiny warts in one panel line that I may leave as they are less objectionable than a slightly off line).

The most amazing part though, is how it goes together. The main hull goes together and mates perfectly, using keys it nearly pressure fits closed! The recessed areas all fit perfectly in their respective spots so well glue is not required ( but should be used). Includes decals! and plastruct needed for edge details ( I think, haven't riddled out everything)

This kit goes together like a Bandai! Revell should feel ashamed!

Anyone on the fence about this kit should get on down. Not only is it great, as a Studio model it is a rare unicorn as it is easily a weekend build. Seems are minimal to non existent, near no cleanup except a few minor poor stubs and keyed parts for ease of assembly!

Last bit to call out Steves attention to detail- some T-Track around one of the "solar panels" didn't cast correctly apparently because Steve replaced it with Plastruct parts! He could have easily had me do it, but went that extra mile to make my build less stressful.

I hope to have pics soon, but it is going to be such a simple build it may just end up finished photos.
Please ask any questions.
Steve-Thanks, it is quite an amazing kit!

Great to hear you’re loving it. Getting one as well. Is the threading on the armature for Panavise (1/4-20) or something different?

Sadly, it is not panavise compatible. Honestly , I'm thinking of not using the mount that came with it. I wish I had it to use in my Hero TIE as those wings are so heavy, but she's built so.... Anyway, the X-1 is not very heavy to require an armature to stop sagging, I am probably going to use maybe PVC pipe and bolts that will fit a Panavise. The armature also makes it very heavy and since I am mounting it on the wall with my other SS models I would prefer it a little lighter. Hope that info helps.

Great to hear you’re loving it. Getting one as well. Is the threading on the armature for Panavise (1/4-20) or something different?

I don’t know what thread the armature is, but they do make thread adapters to step down to 1/4-20. I think I found some on McMaster-Carr, if I recall correctly.

Ah its you who has the SS X & Tie wall mounted! Thanks for the inspiration, I will use that mounting too. Y is too heavy, but the upcoming Salzo X V5 & the X1 I am planning to mount. I am thinking a death star-ish panel. Got myself a flatscreen wall mount which I am planning to use...its got a profile unit that goes on the wall and quick detach couplings that’ll go on the mounting panel so I can just lift it off if needed.

Thanks for checking the mount. I might just use an aluminum bar and thread it myself to fit the Panavise.

Yessir, thats me. I'm mounting my Y-Wing as well. What I used was a simple hanger from Home Depot. one part mounts to the board I used to mount the model and then another that goes on the wall, and they slide into each other. I add something to the bottom of the board so it doesn't angle towards the wall at the bottom. They only cost a few bucks and come with a little level so its all straight.

Ah its you who has the SS X & Tie wall mounted! Thanks for the inspiration, I will use that mounting too. Y is too heavy, but the upcoming Salzo X V5 & the X1 I am planning to mount. I am thinking a death star-ish panel. Got myself a flatscreen wall mount which I am planning to use...its got a profile unit that goes on the wall and quick detach couplings that’ll go on the mounting panel so I can just lift it off if needed.

Thanks for checking the mount. I might just use an aluminum bar and thread it myself to fit the Panavise.

Did these come with decals? If not I offer accurate ones! I can post in the jy

I remember the thread about the decals a few years back...some were train car markings if I recall correctly. Should the kit come without, I am interested.

no pics yet, I also got a Stormy suit so I've been working on that as well. It did indeed come with decals, but I sure could use some for my Hero TIE....

There was a box on the porch when I got home! I don't have enough experience with resin kits to pass any kind of judgement here, so I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves, but even still...they really don't get across how crisp everything is. It's beautiful.

Needless to say, it makes me very happy.

IMG_0853.jpgIMG_0855.jpgIMG_0854.jpgIMG_0856.jpgIMG_0857.jpgIMG_0859.jpg
IMG_0863.jpgIMG_0860.jpgIMG_0864.jpgIMG_0861.jpgIMG_0866.jpgIMG_0862.jpg
IMG_0866.jpgIMG_0867.jpgIMG_0864.jpgIMG_0863.jpgIMG_0868.jpgIMG_0869.jpg
IMG_0870.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back