[Completed] Metal Sidkit Blade Runner Blaster

Dean O

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is the first prop replica I have built in about 15 years, many years ago I was very active on the RPF, but fell out of the hobby for a while. After seeing Blade Runner 2049, and re watching the original, I remembered my love for this prop, in fact one of my first prop replicas was a Rick Ross PKD. I've always wanted a metal Deckard blaster since the first C+S kits came out, so I began my search for one.

This one was found on ebay and I built it up over the last month or so. For anyone unfamiliar with it, this kit is all metal construction with many moving parts, opening cylinder, receiver bolt, and working main trigger. The castings were quite beautiful with very minimal clean up of flashing needed. Mainly, I had to smooth out a few rough edges, replace a few inaccurate screws supplied with the kit, and make sure everything went together properly. The metal was blued using a home cold bluing kit , then I oiled all blued parts to get a good sheen on the metal. The rest was painted flat black, and covered with three coats of automotive clear.

I was going for used finish, but I didn't want the rusty look of the actual prop. I lightly scuffed the painted surfaces, and grips, left a bit of polish to dry in the grip checker pattern. I removed some black paint from the grip frame, trying to replicate the general pattern of the wear on the real prop, and scuffed the butt plate with a file for a few deeper gouges. To me this prop represents a well worn but properly maintained service pistol.

You'll also notice the wire is absent from the left side of the gun. I know it is accurate to the real prop but to me it looks out of place, so my wires for the sight tube are hidden inside.
Album
z70zBbV.jpgDVavOAY.jpgLEIDH9E.jpgmUxQMX0.jpgQzcfcLO.jpgXLlEOka.jpg2ZJDyMr.jpg

Thanks for the complements, it's good to be back.

One thing I forgot the mention. The barrel on this kit is permanently affixed to the bulldog frame. I was thinking about adding a steel barrel at some point, but I'm going to put it off for now, since that will mean cutting it off and milling out the frame to accept the new barrel.

I know this thread is a couple years old but just came across it. Beautiful work! You have nailed the look that I am going for on my kit. if you don't mind me asking what bluing compound did you use?I know different Birchwood Casey bluing compounds react differently with different metals. I'm going for the same look that you accomplished. Thanks!

Thanks glad you like it. I used this Kit from amazon. I ended up doing at least two treatments on the whole pistol and some parts got another coating to get the look I was going for. The good thing about it was you can remove the bluing with the kit as well, so it was easy to redo parts as needed.

Hi Dean,
You've done a remarkable job with this. I'm just starting out with a metal Sidkit blaster model. Did you paint the Steyr receiver or weather the metal? I love the worn look of the metal.
Thanks!
Charlie

Thanks! I only used paint on the black parts of the kit. The receiver was blued using the cold blueing kit I linked in my last post.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back