Superhero Face Mask Sculpts and Batman Muscle Suit!

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks, I started doing these quick face masks as a way to test foam latex but I'm having quite a bit of fun so I wanted to post them on here. This will show the sculpts, casts, and eventual paint ups if any are done.

The first one I did was a Robin mask inspired by the style of the DOJ Batcowl. This was a two hour sculpt as it was just meant to test foam latex initially. Symmetry isn't perfect but it's close enough for me.

IMG_3801.JPGIMG_3816.JPGIMG_3819.JPG

Here it is fresh out of the mold. First foam latex run was a success!
IMG_5517.JPGIMG_5518.JPGIMG_5519.JPG

And finally, after a quick trim. I have a black paint I'd like to try on this, so we'll see how that turns out. I actually messed up cutting the eye lid here, so I cut them completely off of this copy for a more traditional Robin look. If or when I decide to offer these, that will be an option. I'll post a photo of that later.

IMG_5523.JPGIMG_5521.JPGIMG_5520.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Superhero Face Mask Sculpts (Robin and Hal Jordan first up!)

Next up, here is the Hal Jordan mask I sculpted tonight. Another two hour sculpt, but this time I paid a little closer attention to symmetry around the outside of the mask. The features are slightly asymmetrical which I am a fan of with these comic sculpts. It also has a fine texture which isn't super visible in these pictures but will hopefully come through nicely in the foam.

It has been sprayed matte black and clayed up for molding tomorrow if I can get the materials. My next foam run I'll cast another Robin and on of these Hal Jordan's and report back!

IMG_5712.JPGIMG_5711.JPGIMG_5710.JPG

Next up may be the actual DOJ Robin mask. If not right away, I'll come back to it. Anyone have character ideas they'd like to see in my style? Let me know, I may add them to the list!

Last edited:

These are really cool! I would love to see a comic inspired Hawkeye mask. I know it's marvel but just something I don't see done very often.

These are really cool! I would love to see a comic inspired Hawkeye mask. I know it's marvel but just something I don't see done very often.

Thanks! I'm not too familiar with the Marvel hero looks from the comics, but I'll take a look at the design. Might add it to the list for down the road, thanks for the suggestion!

Looks epic! Any chance you’d give us a peek at how you do your molds? I’m molding a domino mask and not exactly sure the best way to do it.

Thanks everyone! Second foam run went well, but I demolded the Hal mask a little early. Put some weird texture into the surface.. I will bake it a little longer next time. I'll figure out what I'm doing paint wise and post it up soon!

Looks epic! Any chance you’d give us a peek at how you do your molds? I’m molding a domino mask and not exactly sure the best way to do it.

Absolutely! Let me just say, this isn't exactly how I'd do them if it was a more professional job. I have been rushing through them to get to the foam latex testing and taking short cuts. :lol

IMG_6012.JPG

Basically I just clayed up the face to remove under cuts, did a rondo (polyester resin and bondo mix) surface coat, backed with two layers of 6oz glass, two layers of 10oz, and one finishing layer of 6oz. Demolded it, cleaned it up, and then clay (sculptex soft) was pressed into the mask area in the thickness I wanted the finished piece to be. It's easy to approximate with the help of the edges and eye holes. Repeat the fiberglass process on the inside, drill bolt holes, open it up and clean it out. This seems to work really well for foam, and is very fast to produce.

Ideally, you'd want a separate corrected core to mold the piece on that was more of a bowl shape, to hold the material you put in. If I was using something more liquid like urethane? All of the material would flow right out so I'd have to drill an injection hole and bleeders on these molds. I have just been sculpting and molding right off the head for the convenience and cost saving factors.

Last edited:
Here is another thing I have been working on, a Batman (BvS) inspired muscle suit. I unfortunately didn't grab photos of the finished sculpture but here is a WIP shot, and a few pictures of the molding process.

IMG_6007.JPGIMG_2534.JPGIMG_6062.JPG

I couldn't get the photos in the right order, sorry about that! To mold this, I used a rondo surface coat, two layers of fiberglass mat, one layer of 10oz cloth on the flange, and then finished with 6oz cloth for handling. The color variation is just because I used an old dirty brush.

I'll probably open this up and run a core for it similar to how I do with the facemasks, just on a larger scale. Don't have an oven for this size mold, so it'll be a two part cold foam. Shoulder and arm sculpts will come in a bit.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back