Metal weathering experts

Sundowner

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I got a 12th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver remote for a steal! But the only thing I don’t like is the super bright brass parts. I’d like to dull it down a bit but I’m afraid I might damage it. I know that it’s die cast and brass plated. Also I believe it’s sealed with a clear finish. I was thinking of trying to remove the clear seal with acetone then use the vinegar trick. But I’m not sure if the brass plating will hold up with the clear finish removal. Any thoughts?

FA11D6AE-3376-4BFE-B3A6-9F121F854F7B.jpeg

If it was me, and it's plated, then I'd err on the side of caution and just do some paint weathering instead. I'd not expect acetone to strip the brass, but you don't know how thick that plated layer is and the clear-coat might be all that's keeping it on.

If it was me, and it's plated, then I'd err on the side of caution and just do some paint weathering instead. I'd not expect acetone to strip the brass, but you don't know how thick that plated layer is and the clear-coat might be all that's keeping it on.

Good call, that’s what I was worried about. There really isn’t a good place to test it either. I may look into the painting, thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back