Help: how to fill a boot seam?

brewing72beers

So any costuming geniuses know how to effectively hide a seam in a boot? I bought these for my stormtrooper armor but didn’t notice the seam until it was too late...and it bugs the heck out of me.

3f1486b11b0c98a1a21fc1e4b273fc56.jpg

I don’t think these are made with real leather but definitely have a smooth, leather-like surface. I’ve tried using this rubber adhesive sealant:

8b287eb5ef0a7c1ceef12781ecd09594.jpg

but it just doesn’t do the trick. It wants to peel off/back when it dries. Anyone have any ideas on how I might fill in that seam or hide it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a picture?
I find super glue works really well on faux leather, (I would use a toothpick to apply the glue just to be extra safe)

anyone else with a better suggestion?

Your images aren't showing up. Here's what's in your post (I only see the links when I quote it) I've put it in code tags show it shows.
Code:
[URL]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/3f1486b11b0c98a1a21fc1e4b273fc56.jpg[/URL]
[URL]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/8b287eb5ef0a7c1ceef12781ecd09594.jpg[/URL]
Neither of those link to anything, and a google reverse search says the images are 'either missing or not publicly accessible' Perhaps you could try uploading them again?

Another person who can't see the photos :) But I wouldn't use superglue on anything flexible.

You might, just might, have luck with roughing the surface lightly and using Shoe Goo or E6000 as both are flexible and work on leather and faux leather. Problem is both are transparent, though Shoe Goo also comes in black. Oh, I wonder if it also comes in white as it was originally for tennis shoes. Oh yep, it does. I wonder if that means I can tint with pigments.... hmmm.

But seams are generally not really reversable, either in appearance or actuality cut to the nature of them. You will find even with the best glue/sealant that the seam with become more obvious again over time due to the different flex in the materials in the shoe upper and even within the seam.

On the images not showing up, I’m at a loss. I uploaded them via Tapatalk, so I’ll just blame that POS app.

I’ve tried a few options now on the seams and I think I’m going to have to chalk this one up at a loss and maybe just save the boots for more potentially destructive troops (parties and troops where appearances are more lax). I did find a really cheap $35 pair of black chelseys that’ll do the trick — I just need to paint ‘em up white and they’ll be perfect.

Thanks all for your ideas.

I see it, and no, there isn't really a way to hide the seam. Truthfully, when you are wearing them in armor, no one will notice. If it bothers you that much, sell them and buy a new pair from a different vendor.

If really bothers you. Here are some ideas: “White caulking silicone” like the one the use to make fish tanks, but white. The problem with silicone is that you will not find any paint that sticks to it. So it will diminish the crease line, but the silicone will make the line wider.
Idea number 2: “Plasti-dip” the hell out of it. Cover the shoe and mask it leaving the seam exposed, spray several layers until the seam is gone, remove the mask. You may need to sand the edge of the plastidip with the finest sand paper you find. (Probably double 00),finally you might want to plastidip the whole boot.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back