Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Oct 2017
    5 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 7:21 PM - Help: how to fill a boot seam? #1

So any costuming geniuses know how to effectively hide a seam in a boot? I bought these for my stormtrooper armor but didnít notice the seam until it was too late...and it bugs the heck out of me.

I donít think these are made with real leather but definitely have a smooth, leather-like surface. Iíve tried using this rubber adhesive sealant:

but it just doesnít do the trick. It wants to peel off/back when it dries. Anyone have any ideas on how I might fill in that seam or hide it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    London, UK
    4 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 6:49 AM - Re: Help: how to fill a boot seam? #2

Do you have a picture?
    I find super glue works really well on faux leather, (I would use a toothpick to apply the glue just to be extra safe)

anyone else with a better suggestion?
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2017
    4 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 8:34 PM - Re: Help: how to fill a boot seam? #3

mushroomskull said: View Post
    Do you have a picture?
    I find super glue works really well on faux leather, (I would use a toothpick to apply the glue just to be extra safe)

anyone else with a better suggestion?
    The photo is in my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Kent, UK
    3 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 7:43 AM - Re: Help: how to fill a boot seam? #4

Your images aren't showing up. Here's what's in your post (I only see the links when I quote it) I've put it in code tags show it shows.
    Neither of those link to anything, and a google reverse search says the images are 'either missing or not publicly accessible' Perhaps you could try uploading them again?
    From
    New Zealand
    1 Day Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 7:08 PM - Re: Help: how to fill a boot seam? #5

Another person who can't see the photos But I wouldn't use superglue on anything flexible.

You might, just might, have luck with roughing the surface lightly and using Shoe Goo or E6000 as both are flexible and work on leather and faux leather. Problem is both are transparent, though Shoe Goo also comes in black. Oh, I wonder if it also comes in white as it was originally for tennis shoes. Oh yep, it does. I wonder if that means I can tint with pigments.... hmmm.

But seams are generally not really reversable, either in appearance or actuality cut to the nature of them. You will find even with the best glue/sealant that the seam with become more obvious again over time due to the different flex in the materials in the shoe upper and even within the seam.