Jawa ion blaster (enfield version) build/paint (Woodman resin kit)

ecl

Sr Member
Got this really amazing kit from Woodman a few days ago and I’ve started work on it. I’ll update the progress here. Below are some Iphone pics, but I’ll take better pics soon!

”Metal” parts: Black primer, semi gloss spraypaint, then touched up with a light dry brushing of model paint (small bottle black) and aged with pastels. lighting brushing on the model paint from the bottle with a brush--kind of like burnishing-- helps to create a nice semi-gloss sheen. To knock back the "gloss" a bit, just hit it with a light mist of the black primer, then throw some pastel on top with a cotton ball--that yields a nice antiqued look.

”wood” parts: primer, light brown spraypaint, artist acrylics applied in thin layers with a brush for the wood grain detailing, some artist pastels on top for the aging process.

aE24n7c.jpg

DSUbzFh.jpg

F8YoJrt.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, that looks great! :thumbsup The wood finish looks so real!

If it helps, here is a shot of my real grenade cup launcher.
IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0750.JPG

Thanks everyone! And thanks for the pics of the grenade cup russellsch. Very cool to see the finish and weathered appearance on an original; it’ll help a lot as a guide.

The bulk of the painting is done, and pieces are epoxied in place
bigsmile.png
This kit is so clean and has a lot of small details, which really pop when the paint is applied. I was surprised to see so much wood detailing in the casting; for some reason, I was expecting it to be flat without any texture, so it was a pleasant surprise as it really helped to accentuate the faux wood paint effect.

Next, I need to figure out the paint for the power pack, and how it'll attach to the end of the blaster. I'm thinking about installing some kind of small extruding metal tube for the hose to attach to, but I'm not sure what people normally do for that part.

3cOCk5g.jpg

cSGRKKH.jpg

coM1Q8a.jpg

Thanks :D Layers of paint and some aging can do quite a lot....it really is skin deep. Although, the amazing casting contributes greatly to the overall effect. I have to say that anyone thinking about getting the kit from Woodman; go for the power pack as well. It's surprisingly detailed...I'm wondering if it was cast from a found piece? No idea. But it looks cool!

I started to work on the power pack, cleaning up some of the mold lines. Very minimal amount of prep work.

Also a few better shots of the fake "wood grain", aka brush strokes with a little bit of steel wool sanding some of it off after dried.

Occasionally I forget it's all resin, so I can't bang it around haha. It has some weight to it too which is really nice.

wCUSGSk.jpg

QDidTfM.jpg

k5oZOig.jpg

Last edited:
Really bad iphone pic of the work so far on the Power pack, but the detailing really shows up well with a few different colors of paint. The pastels also do a lot to make it look aged as it gets into the recessed design areas. Just for fun, I added a little bit of translucent copper paint on it so it’ll have a nice subtle metallic sheen to it under certain angles.

Y0MTkbt.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys :) It was super fun to paint. The Power pack when all finished up is really fun too. I admit I couldn’t resist trying it on just to see what it feels like to be a Jawa lol.

Here’s a pic of the final build:

O7SyzEe.jpg

I ended up selling it—it’s on its way to a new owner—because i’m saving up to get a kit of the ‘other’ jawa blaster. That non-Enfield one is my favorite SW prop....it’s just so quirky looking. But these Woodman kits are incredible; don’t hesitate to get one from him!

The quality of your build is stunningly good and does not like a resin prop. I've got Woodman's v3 blaster on the way and can only hope I can do a job somewhere near what you've achieved.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back