Tarantino’s Star Trek

Re: Tarantino Trek

Doesn't sound good.
No indication anyone in creative control for years now has a grasp.
Anything with Abrams calling any shots will suck. He is a vampire to Trek and sucks away
all core values Trek had and replaces it with lowest common denominator mass appeal nonsense.
Tarantino, I have no idea what he likes about Star Trek or what
it is he thinks he can bring to the table. He hasn't made anything like thoughtful Sci Fi, so
probably it's not going to be that. Odds not good at all.

When Star Trek 2009 came out I would have disagreed. I felt Trek had gotten stale and repetitive, and Abrams found the root of the old series in terms of adventure and brought that back. But at the time I said "Okay, you had the fun, you got the winks and nods and cameos in-- now you have a fresh Trek franchise. Whatever comes next should be spot on." And they proved they had no idea what to do. A fresh start with arguably the first "shared universe" franchise with hundreds of hours of source material for inspiration-- and what do they do? Try to remake TWOK... which had been tried and failed with the last TNG film.

So I'd agree, they don't know what to do with it. Don't blame Abrams, blame the constant regime changes at Paramount that decided to hand it him, and worse, not give it to a better caretaker.

There was hope with Bryan Fuller-- his version of Discovery was going to be much more true, but he was pushed out in favor of grit and flash.

As for QT-- I've always wanted to see him do scifi, do his mash-up thing with 60s/70s scifi. Imagine a QT post-apocalyptic film that mashes up Soylent Green, 2001, Solaris, Last Man On Earth, Fahrenheit 451... that would be amazing. But Trek? I don't know...

If Tarantino were really so enamored with Trek, he would not even want an R rated ST movie, much less make it a stipulation for his involvement.

I think this nails it. He can love Trek, and I think his version of it as some sort of send up, or an original take would be awesome. I'd love to see a movie he made and describe it as "Tarrantino's Star Trek"... but to actually have it BE Star Trek!?

You're right. His desire sort of betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the mythos.

I drop several f-bombs a day, and I love QT movies in general... but the one f-bomb in ST: Discovery felt so wrong to me

Last edited:

...I drop several f-bombs a day, and I love QT movies in general... but the one f-bomb in ST: Discovery felt so wrong to me
This is how I felt when Data said "Oh ****!" as the primary hull of the NCC-1701-D was crash landing on Veridian III in Star Trek: Generations. I have no problems with that kind of language--I can curse well enough to make sailors blush--but it just felt completely out-of-place in a Star Trek movie. Granted, they had sort of crossed that bridge in Star Trek IV with Spock's failed attempts at using "colorful metaphors", but that was played mostly for laughs even when Spock finally got it right. If that was the intent with Data's line in Generations, I didn't get the joke.

Kirk and Picard never actually left the nexus, it was all in Picards imagination, thats why he was the action hero in all the films that followed when he wasn't really before.

Yup. I've maintained this since First Contact. We got an evolutionary step backward for a new ship, we got Picard the action hero and ladies' man, we got less and less sensical plots. The Borg Queen was a direct contradiction to what the Borg were created to be, the Starfleet conspiracy in Insurrection was.... unlikely, and Nemesis made zero sense -- Picard would have had to have been cloned when he was a nobody commanding a nobody ship, and while the Romulans were still in isolation.

As Kirk in TWOK, he had just been made aware of his own impending mortality and the fact that there were no more in his family line. Perfect foundation for the Nexus fantasy we saw. I like to think his line "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?" in Insurrection was his subconscious trying to get him to realize he was still in the Nexus. This also means Kirk dying was part of his fantasy. Won't go so far as to say meeting Kirk was part of it, too, as Kirk was definitely in there, and it was a timeless flux.

I have a nice little outline written where Kirk and Picard realize they're still in the Nexus and "escape" over and over until they realize the Nexus is fulfilling their desire to escape by generating ever different scenarios. They end up sitting there outside Chateau Picard drinking wine and looking out over the vineyard and ruminating on how they are even past trying to not want to leave as a way to leave, as that's still coming from a mindset of wanting to leave, and they're done and accepting of it. And then Guinan comes out the front door and says "Finally. I think now you might actually be ready..."

--Jonah

You know I wouldn't be bothered if the enterprise crew were suddenly effing and jeffing, I just don't want them slinging the n word around like they are west coast rappers.

Kirk and Picard never actually left the nexus, it was all in Picards imagination, thats why he was the action hero in all the films that followed when he wasn't really before.

Gives them both an excuse to be in it, and still have a completely new crew when they do come out.

Wow, I can dig it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Tarantino`s Star Trek..........

Oh I need THAT Movie in my life.....

I think QT will be a great shot in the arm to Star Trek. If theres one franchise that suffers from having so much baggage attached to it well... I think he will cut most of that baggage free and not give a damn.

Re: Tarantino`s Star Trek..........

I think QT will be a great shot in the arm to Star Trek. If theres one franchise that suffers from having so much baggage attached to it well... I think he will cut most of that baggage free and not give a damn.
Not to mention rivers of green blood and Klingon heads on pikes at Starfleet headquarters. No thank you! QT and his idiotic "stylistic sensibilities" should be keep far away from any ST movies as far as I'm concerned.

"Klingon motherf----r, do you speak it?"

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a little tired of his same old schtick and makes a Star Trek that's fairly conventional, if retro.

"Klingon motherf----r, do you speak it?"

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a little tired of his same old schtick and makes a Star Trek that's fairly conventional, if retro.

I guess that most would expect him to do something straight out of that trailer so I think your on to something by conventional and if he went retro it would reduce the opportunity for him to be slammed for getting something wrong in the overprotected timelines and minutiae.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back