Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 4:38 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #26

The Wook said: View Post
    Don't know how to feel about this. I'd have to interview him, to assess his STIQ.

The Wook
    Oh, here we go!
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 5:18 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #27

MrSouthpaw said: View Post
    Almost the very first thing he says in the interview Vivek posted is that he would be inclined to do a Trek movie over Wars, but he does like Star Wars.
    That interview is from a Nerdist podcast he did either during the time Django Unchained was released or Hateful 8. I forget which, but he definitely changed his mind about Star Wars after Disney bought LFL. I remember there was a story in EW right after the merger where they asked several prominent directors about directing a SW film and he made it quite clear he wasn't interested. Then, when Disney screwed him over by impacting his ability to screen Hateful 8 in 70mm at certain theaters, he really wasnt too happy.

http://www.ew.com/article/2012/11/08...r-wars-movies/
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    From
    WA state
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 7:00 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #28

JoeG said: View Post
    That interview is from a Nerdist podcast he did either during the time Django Unchained was released or Hateful 8. I forget which, but he definitely changed his mind about Star Wars after Disney bought LFL. I remember there was a story in EW right after the merger where they asked several prominent directors about directing a SW film and he made it quite clear he wasn't interested. Then, when Disney screwed him over by impacting his ability to screen Hateful 8 in 70mm at certain theaters, he really wasnt too happy.

http://www.ew.com/article/2012/11/08...r-wars-movies/
    He's saying he wouldn't get involved because he doesn't care for Disney's new trilogy. Which is very different from "he hates Star Wars and wouldn't do it."

It's pretty easy to find a lot of Star Wars fans that hate Lucas' prequel trilogy. By the same token he's allowed to not like Disney's take on it.
    From
    St. Louis, MO
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 7:17 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #29

QT references City On The Edge and Yesterday’s Enterprise as possible inspiration. Is it time to change the name of the franchise to Time Trek?

PLEASE no more time travel stories!
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 8:41 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #30

JiminSTLouis said: View Post
    QT references City On The Edge and Yesterday’s Enterprise as possible inspiration. Is it time to change the name of the franchise to Time Trek?

Quentin may just be saying what he thinks fans want to hear.

Just give me a private meeting with him, some alcohol to loosen him up, and I'll measure his STIQ.
  6. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 8:49 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #31

The Wook said: View Post

Just give me a private meeting with him, some alcohol to loosen him up, and I'll measure his STIQ.
    If you read that acronym at the end as a word, like NASA, this sentence takes on a very different type of meaning.
  7. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 9:54 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #32

I don't see why QT belongs doing ST.

He is a fan? So what?
    Woody Allen might be a fan of Fast & Furious.
    From
    Los Angeles
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 10:14 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #33

JiminSTLouis said: View Post

I was saying this as far back as Voyager and Enterprise.

Also, I will say one thing-- if QT says it's going to be a retro throwback, you can count on him getting the feel right. All his movies are retro to some extent-- historical inaccuracies aside, if he tells you he;s making a 70s chop socky martial arts film, he delivers. If he says he's doing a spaghetti western he delivers.

When Paramount tells us Discovery is going to be a throw back prequel that invokes TOS, we all called BS from the start.

But if you want a Trek Story that looks, feels, and has the vibe of a 60s film? QT would nail that.

ALSO ALSO, I agree with him about Yesterday's Enterprise. That;s one of my favorites and I wish that story could have been saved for The first TNG film. If Generations was the same basic story as Yesterday's Enterprise, but swapping the E-C for the E-A... can you imagine?
    Last edited by SethS; 6 Days Ago at 10:19 PM.
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 11:10 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #34

Gimpdiggity said: View Post
    If you read that acronym at the end as a word, like NASA, this sentence takes on a very different type of meaning.
    SWIQ and STIQ are pronounced as words, so...Oops!...I will be more careful next time. LOL

The Wook
  10. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 11:45 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #35

JJ verse Does NOT exist for me nor does Discovery, simply put they are NOT Trek

ower said: View Post
    Really, this is what you see as hitting rock bottom of the Franchise and not the 2 Demo reels JJ made to land his TFA job before handing it off to lin for Fast & the Furious: Enterprise Drift?
    From
    Los Angeles
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 2:20 AM - Re: Tarantino Trek #36

Than why would Tarrantino’s?
  12. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 3:56 AM - Re: Tarantino Trek #37

Also, I will say one thing-- if QT says it's going to be a retro throwback, you can count on him getting the feel right. All his movies are retro to some extent-- historical inaccuracies aside, if he tells you he;s making a 70s chop socky martial arts film, he delivers. If he says he's doing a spaghetti western he delivers.
    Disagree. QT gives you a movie that looks like an exaggerated version of the old genre he is imitating. It probably won't feel much like it. It will feel like a QT movie.
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 9:24 AM - Re: Tarantino Trek #38

I'm going to, I dunno... wait and see how this progresses before issuing a judgment?

That said, SLJ needs to be a Klingon. (Marc Okrand will have to expand the Klingon vocabulary, I suspect.)
    From
    LV-426
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 10:46 AM - Re: Tarantino Trek #39

SmilingOtter said: View Post
    I'm going to, I dunno... wait and see how this progresses before issuing a judgment?
    where's the fun in that???
  15. RPF Premium Member Dem Bones's Avatar
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 1:41 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #40

PotionMistress said: View Post
    This does not sound like a match made in heaven.

I tend to agree but it's at least an interesting combination of filmmaker and material. What if the one guy we would all expect to thoroughly muck-up Star Trek turns out to be the one who respects Trek's DNA the most? And unlike the creators of Discovery, he seems to have enough clout to deflect executive/management interference. That alone could result in a Trek project that's a little more pure at heart.

I'm not a fan of JJ's Trek and have no interest in Discovery. And while not a big Tarantino fan, I think his passion for his work is genuine so I'd be curious to see what he comes up with, assuming that he really is a fan. The eternal optimist (fool?) in me keeps hoping somebody will come along and get Star Trek right again.
  16. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 2:53 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #41

As all of our Pointed eared friend once said, "there are always possibilities"

Dem Bones said: View Post
    The eternal optimist (fool?) in me keeps hoping somebody will come along and get Star Trek right again.
    From
    Hull
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 3:23 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #42

Given his love of old music, it would be worth the admission price alone if he pulled the Amok Time fight music out of storage.
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 3:32 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #43

JoeG said: View Post
    Nope. He's publicly stated that he hates Star Wars and wouldn't do it.
    Whaaat?

(he's dead to me now!)
  19. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    CNY
    5 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 3:52 AM - Re: Tarantino Trek #44

I unfortunately can't say I will skip this movie, because it's Star Trek, but I dont like this idea of him actually directing it. The only movie of his I liked at all was Django Unchained. I absolutely hate his aesthetic and I don't want to see it brought to this [or any existing] franchise. #NotMyStarTrek
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    5 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 2:00 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #45

@seelsa73, I'll counter that #NotMyStarTrek with #CanItBeWorseThanDiscovery?...
    From
    Los Angeles
    5 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 2:26 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #46

The opening epitaph of Kill Bill was a certain Klingon Proverb.
  22. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    CNY
    5 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 6:16 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #47

Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    @seelsa73, I'll counter that #NotMyStarTrek with #CanItBeWorseThanDiscovery?...
    Idk, I've only seen the first episode.
    From
    North of Orlando FL. If you cross the river you went too far.
    4 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 6:39 AM - Re: Tarantino Trek #48

So what if he is a fan? Simon Pegg is a fan and while most of Star Trek Beyond was good (including Kirk finally act more like a captain) it went off the rails near the end. Riding around on a motorcycle that had been sitting for decades, flying a crashed ship that was half covered by a mountain, and then destroying the enemy ships using Beasty Boys.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk
    From
    Wirral, UK
    4 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 10:52 AM - Re: Tarantino Trek #49

Probably an unpopular opinion, but as a Tarantino fan, I'd hate for him to waste his 'last movie' on Star Trek
  25. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    4 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 12:18 PM - Re: Tarantino Trek #50

To be fair though, much of Tarantino's best films were dependent on Sally Menke. Even Death Proof, as awful as it is, has that "pep" and "life" that his better films have. Since her passing, his films have certainly not been at the level where they used to be. His being involved with Star Trek can't be any worse than any of this recent stuff, or his worst, as far as I'm concerned. It certainly won't be his best, that's for sure.