12ft Nylon Indy whip

lostinperiphery

Learning to make my own genuine bullwhip has been a bucket list item of mine ever since I was a child, toting around $10 souvenir whip I’d gotten from the Cherokee reservation gift shop, while wearing a “close enough” cowboy hat. Turns out, I’m still that same kid, but with a better hat, and a real whip :). I’ve made a number of short, nylon snake whips prior to this bullwhip, but a loooong Indy inspired proper bullwhip has always been the goal. This measures 12ft, and while it’s not quite screen accurate lacking the handle loop (and of course, being synthetic) it turned out just the way I’d hoped. One step closer to someday tying an actual kangaroo whip.

c21336655f07c2951cbe106804d7569f.jpg

3383e705ab8bd5e438c03667f774104b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work.... Always great to see what you can do with Paracord as well as any other material... Amazing work!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Great job on the whip! I've made a 6 foot 12 plait out of nylon, but I'm looking for measurements for something longer. Maybe an 8 or 10 foot? Do you have any measurements? Even the 12 foot ones would be awesome. Thanks!

Great job on the whip! I've made a 6 foot 12 plait out of nylon, but I'm looking for measurements for something longer. Maybe an 8 or 10 foot? Do you have any measurements? Even the 12 foot ones would be awesome. Thanks!

Just increase your strands proportionally :), ie, to go from a 6ft to a 12, double your starting strand lengths. A 6ft to a 9ft, add 50%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice work! Can you share construction details?

Steel rod inside the handle, the core is shot loaded with bb’s to 6ft out, then a 4plait belly bound and wrapped with artificial sinew, another 8 plait belly bound and wrapped, and a final 12plait outer. Turks head knots adorn the handle :)

For a much more in depth walkthrough, this is an extremely informative guide, and is quite similar to how I constructed mine, with a few adjustments here and there.

https://youtu.be/cXuBs_wYsnI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick is a treasure for amateur whipmakers - very generous with his knowledge. You are a fine student.

David

That's exactly who I used to make mine, I thought an hour for his tutorials were crazy long, but then I starting making my whips... 4 days for my first, 2 for my second. A labor of love, that one :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back