Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 10:03 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #26

I had to leave that FB group. It was too frustrating. I'm not even sure that's a real Graflex.
  2. RPF Premium Member
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 10:11 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #27

SethS said: View Post
    ScottJua pointed out one pretty interesting fact...

...nickle plated brass doesn't rust.
    Now Iím confused. I thought the prevailing consensus was brushed chrome (not nickel) over brass?

Either way, his point still stands cause I donít think either one rusts. But Iím still curious anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. RPF Premium Member newmagrathea's Avatar
    From
    Kansas City MO
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 10:18 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #28

I also think those rivets look enormous. I mean they really stand out.
    From
    Bay Area, CA
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 10:29 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #29

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    @newmagrathea Could you ask him to post a picture of the D-ring, please?

ChaÔm
    I wonder if it says "Graflex Reborn" on the bottom. I bought one off eBay, and the bottom half is oxidized in a similar way to this, and has similar rivets.
    From
    Los Angeles
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 10:48 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #30

That could be true, I just recall Scott once saying that they didn’t rust.
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 6:23 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #31

Not for one second do I think this saber is genuine, but FWIW I once had a Graflex upper that had a fine layer of rust. Perhaps Nickel oxydation that looked like rust....or some dirt/contaminant on the surface....
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 6:32 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #32

Treadwell said: View Post
    Not for one second do I think this saber is genuine, but FWIW I once had a Graflex upper that had a fine layer of rust. Perhaps Nickel oxydation that looked like rust....or some dirt/contaminant on the surface....
    You know i didnít want to say anything but since you broke the ice. I have seen many vintages on eBay with rusty uppers/ bottoms

And yes they were real vintages... I think people using stuff like Brillo pads to clean it leaves behind metal fibers that get stuck in the grain, those fibers then rust

No way am I defending the guy claiming itís real, Iím just defending the fact that Iíve even seen aluminum and stainless rust by having metal fibers stuck in the grain
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    5 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 11:26 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #33

Check it... REAL graflex tops and bottoms DO NOT RUST. No way, no how.

Clamps, can develop rust because under that plating they are steel. The bunny ears/bulb clamp... also steel and can rust under the plating and leak through.

Now the plating on the brass CAN on the surface, show rust from contact with OTHER rusting steel, but almost always can be wiped right off. MOST of what you see is just some corrosion from old adhesives, battery acid, etc. and NOT rust coming through the plating. Anyone touting that they have a real graflex where the tops and bottoms are rusty from age is full of baloney.

Homeboy is a scammer, and a complete liar. There I said it. He's lying... straight up. That's not a screen used or production prop, no way, no how. Check out that article posted. The guy stole from his own mother... a lot! Come on... there's no question.
  9. Member Since
    Jul 1999
    From
    Georgia
    5 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 11:39 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #34

I've seen the ICONS replicas rust like that. It's funny he said that the handle has rusted some, but it's 37 years old. A real Graflex would actually be 70+ years old.

- Jim
  10. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member Serenity's Avatar
    From
    over there
    5 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 11:48 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #35

Someone mentioned Icons...

Is it me, or do the brass pins on the side look closer together like the ones on the Icons saber?
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 12:34 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #36

Serenity said: View Post
    Someone mentioned Icons...

Is it me, or do the brass pins on the side look closer together like the ones on the Icons saber?
    Yea, could you move icons clamp levers like real ones? (didn't think the clamps were real)
    From
    Irvine California
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 2:02 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #37

That guy got turned out by the posting of his crime on his thread. How do come back from that. Ouch.
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 6:58 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #38

I had a graflex bottom once that did have rust on it that wouldn't wipe off.
    It was quite subtle, but definitely little rust blisters. That said, a bottom with extensive rust is probably fake.
  14. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 7:38 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #39

Chrome and plating corrosion is real of course, but in the graflexes case since there's no steel under it to rust, it's from a foreign contaminant. If the plating blistered then there's no coming back from the blister but it's not the plating or underlying metal actually rusting and would never be like that frauds picture. It's from elsewhere and can be removed.
  15. RPF Premium Member FastballSpecial's Avatar
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 8:09 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #40

So many fakes appearing lately. Do they really expect to fool the expert collectors ?
  16. RPF Premium Member newmagrathea's Avatar
    From
    Kansas City MO
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 10:39 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #41

My first graflex had a teeny tiny amount of surface rust, but I just accounted that to perhaps there was a tiny bit of iron in the nickel plating. And like you said, I "wiped it off" with 0000 steel wool, and that was probably more work than it needed.

scottjua said: View Post
    Check it... REAL graflex tops and bottoms DO NOT RUST. No way, no how.

Clamps, can develop rust because under that plating they are steel. The bunny ears/bulb clamp... also steel and can rust under the plating and leak through.

Now the plating on the brass CAN on the surface, show rust from contact with OTHER rusting steel, but almost always can be wiped right off. MOST of what you see is just some corrosion from old adhesives, battery acid, etc. and NOT rust coming through the plating. Anyone touting that they have a real graflex where the tops and bottoms are rusty from age is full of baloney.

Homeboy is a scammer, and a complete liar. There I said it. He's lying... straight up. That's not a screen used or production prop, no way, no how. Check out that article posted. The guy stole from his own mother... a lot! Come on... there's no question.
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 12:02 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #42

FastballSpecial said: View Post
    So many fakes appearing lately. Do they really expect to fool the expert collectors ?
    Unfortunately, they don't really have to. Most collectors are not experts and many people are perfectly willing to believe some BS story.
    From
    Los Angeles
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 12:35 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #43

Plus they have Facebook groups to post on. There’s minimum 3 posts a day from people asking HAY IS THIS REAL!? Scott should start charging for his assessment.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 12:36 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #44

Itís times like this I wish I had face book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. RPF Premium Member newmagrathea's Avatar
    From
    Kansas City MO
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 12:42 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #45

I just checked the post on FB again and he's either been kicked out or left the group. So no new info will be coming.
    From
    Michigan
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 12:54 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #46

I too am in that group and read that post. I laughed out loud and moved on. I'm with some of you and am thinking about leaving the group. I can't take that "atmosphere" anymore.
    From
    Irvine California
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 1:15 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #47

That group is just silly. Someone posts a picture claiming seen used. Someone else points out its obviously not. A boat load of friends of the poster start yelling "hater" and you don't know him, he is an "insider". Ive seen transactions occur on that site on the regular where people have paid $100s if not $1000s on fakes.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 1:21 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #48

Cameron said: View Post
    That group is just silly. Someone posts a picture claiming seen used. Someone else points out its obviously not. A boat load of friends of the poster start yelling "hater" and you don't know him, he is an "insider". Ive seen transactions occur on that site on the regular where people have paid $100s if not $1000s on fakes.
    Never mind Iím still glad I donít have Facebook lol
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 2:17 PM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #49

I mean, it's tough to tell from that picture, but it seems that the actual tube part and bunny ear part are slightly different colors/tints of metal, but a vintage is always pretty uniform in the chrome color of the parts, so it's probably a fake. (I can upload photos of this later) Also, the holes for the pins and ports are A) too sharp of cuts to be real, since they are more pressed in and would show up in the light, and B) the black plug doesn't look like it sticks out of the top, so it's most likely a fake top half. If that guy really does think it's a real deal screen used prop, then somethings wrong with this world.
  25. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 11:17 AM - Re: Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber? #50

Just playing devil's advocate here, but what if he genuinely believed it's a real production made Graflex, because that's what he bought it as? Someone else committed the fraud in selling it as such, and he unknowingly perpetuated the falsehood, only because he didn't research his purchase.

I'm not defending him per se, but maybe he just had a hard time accepting he'd been scammed.