Spider-Man lenses fogging up! help

polinko90

Hello, during the summer I made those Spider-Man lenses you see in the pics, and I'm having a very annoying problem.

So what I did was cut the rubber part off a toy mask, and then I glued plastic (for the reflective look) and after that I glued 2 pieces of spray painted kitchen splatter. What's happening is that the lenses are fogging up pretty bad, and when people say "apply a coat of X" I run into a problem: the plastic (which is what's fogging up) is after the kitchen splatter and I can't get to it.

So I was thinking that maybe anti-fog spray would go through the kitchen splatter and reach the plastic? I'm not sure what to do, because it fogs up in seconds and I can't see anything (only shapes). And this wouldn't be a problem if it was just a photoshoot or an open space but I'll be inside a con and I don't want to bump into people or not being able to enjoy the con because I can't see anything.

I don't mind having to take the mask off from time to time but it literally fogs up in seconds.

Any ideas? I'm new to this whole DIY thing.

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• spider3.jpg
    spider3.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 506
  • spider2.jpg
    spider2.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 580
  • spider1.jpg
    spider1.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 467
Hi Po,

Check for related threads through the search bar on this website.This issue has been addressed before.

Assuming you can easily take the lenses out of the mask, I’d recommend you try some SCUBA diving mask defogger. The reason I say you need to remove the lenses is because you have to apply the defogger and then rinse it off. It’s thick stuff and will hold up well for a long time.

If you can’t remove the lenses, there are some other spray defoggers available. I use one called “spit” and it holds up for a good 6 or so hours in the summer time. I use it on my Spidey mask and TK helmet.

Hope that helps!

Sean

You could also put another layer of plastic over the kitchen spatter guard and use hot glue to seal the edges. Then you can apply whatever anti-fog to that inner layer of plastic. That's how most of TJack's kits work.

You could also put another layer of plastic over the kitchen spatter guard and use hot glue to seal the edges. Then you can apply whatever anti-fog to that inner layer of plastic. That's how most of TJack's kits work.
That could've worked, but I had the lenses glued on the fabric so there was a chance of utter failure and misery for destroying my mask and lenses.

Anyway, I ended up going to the con with the mask like this and it was not so bad lol,it's the spidey life after all.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back