Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 1:17 PM - Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #1

This is my first completely scratch built "model." I carved it from extruded foam and painted it to look like rock with Vallejo acrylic paints. I plan to also build a partial environment around it and do a miniature VFX shot with it. Always wanted to do a miniature shot, but haven't had the chance. Should be fun.

Anyone have recommendations on how to scratch build a roman column, such as the one seen in the original episode? The fillets seem like they would be difficult to re-create. Any suggestions would be welcome.

From
    Woodbridge, VA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 1:58 PM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #2

DanielB said: View Post
    ...Anyone have recommendations on how to scratch build a roman column, such as the one seen in the original episode? The fillets seem like they would be difficult to re-create. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    The best way I can think of, besides milling the fillets, is to glue thin strips to a rod or tube. Then spray several coats of filler primer, it will build up along the strips creating the fillets.
  3. Member Since
    Dec 2005
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 7:12 PM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #3

Anyone have recommendations on how to scratch build a roman column, such as the one seen in the original episode? The fillets seem like they would be difficult to re-create. Any suggestions would be welcome.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/4b...e0af6783e0.jpg
    Check cake decorating supply businesses. Several companies make columns for cake decorating like Wilton which can be found at Hobby Lobby or Michales.
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 7:27 PM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #4

swhite228 said: View Post
    Check cake decorating supply businesses. Several companies make columns for cake decorating like Wilton which can be found at Hobby Lobby or Michales.
    Yeah, I already tried that. If I had built the Guardian at half the scale it is, that would have worked. However, the cake columns are 7" and the Guardian is 12" tall. In the episode, the columns are just slightly taller than the Guardian, so they are too short.
    From
    Townsville-Australia
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 8:23 PM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #5

DanielB wote
    Hey mate, I used PVC pipe and corrugated cardboard and foam to make mine pics attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3006.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	777672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3007.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	777673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3008.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	777674  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kte2.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	777671  
  6. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 8:37 PM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #6

Hemble said: View Post
    Hey mate, I used PVC pipe and corrugated cardboard and foam to make mine pics attached.

That works pretty well! I might try that! Thanks!
  7. Member Since
    Dec 2014
    From
    Vreden
    1 Week Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 6:26 AM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #7

It looks better than the original one!
  8. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    6 Days Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 7:16 AM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #8

Look into balusters / balustrade the vertical support rods for stairway handrails

this sort of thing

https://www.stair-parts.com/product/...aluster-f5360/

Jim
    From
    Townsville-Australia
    6 Days Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 6:08 PM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #9

That works pretty well! I might try that! Thanks!
    Thanks and glad I could help and can't wait to see it when it's completed.
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    5 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 12:07 AM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #10

Well, I figured out how to make the stubby broken column in front of the Guardian itself anyway.

I started with an empty toilet paper roll, corrugated craft paper, plastic wrap, cooking spray, and Plaster of Paris.

I then cut the corrugated paper to length that it would fit inside the mold rolled up.

This simple combination would become the base of my mold. To make sure the liquid plaster wouldn't pour out the bottom, I taped plastic wrap to the bottom.

Now I needed to spray the inside of the mold with cooking spray to serve as a mold release agent otherwise the plaster would bond with the corrugated craft paper.

Next I mixed up the plaster of paris and poured it into the mold.

Then I just waited 2 hours and peeled the paper mold off of it. It's got a few nicks and dings, but since the column is supposed to be millennia old, that works just fine. Now I just have to build the base of the column.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sZiOXEF.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	778196  
    5 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 6:33 PM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #11

Brilliant solution! Looking forward to seeing more...
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    5 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 7:32 PM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #12

Sure works!
    From
    Townsville-Australia
    4 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 4:23 AM - Re: Guardian of Forever Visual Effects Miniature #13

Such a great idea with the column it looks awesome.