Event Horizon kit - At Last!

Dalroi

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After years of fruitless searching I have finally found an accurate, sizeable kit of the Event Horizon!

I idly tapped the words “Event Horizon kit” into Etsy, as I had done many times before - Lo and behold there was a result!

Factoria 3D in Spain are producing a kit of the “haunted house in space” in not one, but TWO scales - 1/2000 or 1/4000.

1/4000: 60cm long and 26cm wide - Central section produced in 5 parts.

1/2000: 100cm long and 35cm wide - Central section produced in 55 parts and 5 steel rods.

Firmly believing that “bigger is better” (and more detailed) I ordered the 1/2000 version and also the two etched acrylic bases (one to hold up each end of the ship) that are designed for that scale of kit.

The seller/producer, Oscar Perez, is one of the best sellers I have encountered. He kept me updated with progress pictures as the kit was printed and shipped ahead of his estimated time.

When the kit and bases arrived - packed really well - I was very impressed. The kit is of excellent quality, detail and workmanship withsensible “break points” and includes four thin but strong steel rods and four strong magnets to attach the main corridor “spine” to the bow and drive sections. The delicacy of some small parts is quite remarkable!

The bases are of sturdy construction and sharply etched, one with a key phrase from the film “Liberate Tuteme Ex Inferis” and the other with a concentric circle of lights representing the Gravity Drive core.

This is one of the more expensive kits I have bought, but I feel it’s well worth it given the rarity of kits of the Event Horizon (I only know of one other - The small “Larson Designs” version), the level of detail,which is very accurate to all references I can find, and the impressive size.

It’s going to take me some time to get around to building it, but it’s very much something to look forward to. :D

Parts.JPG

Spine.JPG

Bow 2.JPG

Bow 3.JPG

Drive Section 2.JPG

Drive Section.JPG

A built example of the kit with bases

x1.jpg

x3.jpg

Dalroi.

Parts.JPG

Spine.JPG

Bow 2.JPG

Bow 3.JPG

Drive Section 2.JPG

Drive Section.JPG

x1.jpg

x3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow--this is a subject I have never had any interest in but even I have to admit that looks like a STUPENDOUS kit.

I was on the hunt a few months ago myself and I stumbled upon this on Etsy. Beautiful kit, nice to see some pics from a buyer rather than the seller. It was too expensive for me but it will certainly be an impressive peice when you finish it. It's surprised me how detailed the larger version is. I had no idea this degree of detail could be achieved from a 3D print.

I was on the hunt a few months ago myself and I stumbled upon this on Etsy. Beautiful kit, nice to see some pics from a buyer rather than the seller. It was too expensive for me but it will certainly be an impressive peice when you finish it. It's surprised me how detailed the larger version is. I had no idea this degree of detail could be achieved from a 3D print.

I'm always a bit wary when there are no customer reviews for a kit, but decided to take a punt given the rarity of the subject an size of the kit.

It's nice to be pleasantly surprised on occasion! The kit is a damn good example of what 3d printing can achieve with none of the bubbles, warping or mould lines of resin. :D

Dalroi.

Pain points look to be where the engine ball joins to those arms just cut straight across and the long section that joins the crew quarters to the engine section. Looks very fragile.

That kit has an awesome level of detail!
A very rare subject- nice to know someone has done it justice.
Congratulations on your leap of faith- I have had luck like that once and several disappointments.

As much as I like the ship and appreciate the detail, but does noone find it odd that one gets seemingly unfinished, raw 3D-printed parts for such a price, with a high amount of surface roughness and steps? I feel people are making it too simple with such a use of this technology. It shows that it is not ready to be used in this way yet. I wouldn't get this cleaned up without destroying some of the fine detail.

As much as I like the ship and appreciate the detail, but does noone find it odd that one gets seemingly unfinished, raw 3D-printed parts for such a price, with a high amount of surface roughness and steps? I feel people are making it too simple with such a use of this technology. It shows that it is not ready to be used in this way yet. I wouldn't get this cleaned up without destroying some of the fine detail.

Not commenting on this kit:

I share Thorst's anxieties about 3d printing; there are fine examples, but so many more products where the limitations of the medium is too obvious. It's a fledgling technology for the garage kit manufacturer and only a few items have tempted/interested me. But I've had some ( Too many!) appalling resin cast kits too.

Doubtless the quality and definition will improve and modellers will develop techniques and skills to accommodate the shortfalls of 3d printing.

As ever, everyone has their own balancing act involving the desirability of the subject matter, its availability and the amount of work the kit will need. I admit that while I once would have knowingly purchased a kit with shortfalls as "a starting point" a manufacturer now needs to produce a rather better product to separate me from my money.

I love the ship design but "Event Horizon" is one of those movies that completely goes off the rails half way through, it started out really interesting.

Given the number of resin kits I have seen/bought over the years that suffer from warpage, bubbles, mismatched moulds, brittle material, huge pour stubs and appalling design (no location points, weird join choices) I was very pleased (not to mention relieved) with my first foray into the 3d printed arena.

Please be aware that the pictures I have posted don't really reflect the level and depth of detail on the parts (crap old camera :() and the surface roughness looks considerably worse than it is in person, careful sanding will smooth it out nicely. Any appearance of mismatch/steps on the drive section is as a result of me holding it awkwardly with one hand! In reality the parts match up perfectly with almost no seam.

Yes, there are a small number of areas where the printing is incomplete but a bit of filling is good for the soul! :thumbsup

As the corridor section could have been a bit of a "weak link" I have done a test fit of the rods and parts and it turns out to be impressively rigid; I wouldn't lift the model by it(!) but the magnets mounted in the ends mean that the whole thing can be dismantled and rebuilt from the 3 sections pretty easily.

I'm looking forward to building it but this will unfortunately have to wait - life keeps getting in the way...:rolleyes

Dalroi.

I agree with Capt. April. The design of the Event Horizon is spot on but the movie took a weird and not easily, audience absorbed turn.
Personally find UK sci-fi has often nails the visuals but looses something in the story line.

That being wrongly said, I think the kit looks FABULOUS!!!! Am guessing the kit is a solid cast which eliminates...illumination.
The manufacturer's work is FIRST RATE. Looking forward to watching your build.
Tommie

Looks like a freaking awesome print. Ever so slightly jealous to be honest. And I can just imagine the back and forth between seller, and buyer.

Buyer: Hi. Just wanted to ask about....
Seller: DO YOU SEE?!!
Buyer: Uh.....
Seller: DO. YOU. SEE?!!!
Buyer: Yeah I do. How much?
Seller: Liberate ex walletus, 400 buckerus.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back