Event Horizon kit - At Last!

There are several versions of the build. One is pre-painted, ready for display and am assuming that is the one now advertised.
Mine was considerably less but is the raw 3D model. After the fact, I ordered the stand but still far less than the new advertised price.

The 1/2000 kit is not even advertised anymore- just the finished model. Pity- that was going to be my summer treat for myself!

The 1/2000 kit is not even advertised anymore- just the finished model. Pity- that was going to be my summer treat for myself!

It's worth checking back regularly. These things take a while to churn out, so the production rate is fairly low.

I missed out on the 1/4000 the first time around, but nabbed one a few weeks later.

Email the guy and let him know you're interested.

Just opened the box. Not exactly overjoyed. What I wrote to Factoria 3D....

The Horizon just arrived today. The box was damaged but, with the exception of the bow, the pieces are intact.
Most of the parts are obvious as to how they are assembled but a few are not obvious. Do you have an instruction sheet? If so, I did not receive one. If not, I'll send a picture of the parts and you can explain where they go.
I've built countless resin cast kits, a few for clients but this is my first kit created with a 3D printer. I'm used to cleaning up resin flash but must honestly say this printed model will take a great deal of time to remove the excess material.

Can't recommend F3D's services at this point, in part because this was a very expensive kit.
Tommie

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are poor pictures, taken with an old camera by a very poor photographer. In my defense, these parts are tiny, roughly 1/2 the picture size. (The body sections of the model have stray 3D filaments on them as well but were impossible to photograph.) I'm missing all the antenna parts and one of these truss frames, 50 in all. Lots of clean up and one two need to be replaced....From Spain.:cry

IMG_7314.jpgIMG_7315.jpgIMG_7319.jpgIMG_7324.jpg

Last edited:
Shocking that parts are missing and/or incomplete.
Those tiny trusses would have been done better on a resin printer.
Is the lower bow antenna also missing?
The stray filaments can be cleaned up reasonably quickly with a pair of modellers snips, but the missing or broken pieces are not really on.
As you say- this was an expensive kit!
Hopefully he'll get it sorted quickly.
Not very impressed at this end!:thumbsdown

An update:
The build will actually be far better than I first "grossed" about. Factory 3D explained that their printing process, FDM, is apparently not the same used by Shapeways. He admitted that the quality is a bit less because they also use far fewer machines. That being said, cleanup of the bow is time consuming but has not been very difficult. As I said previously, the detail is fantastic. I primed the two bow sections and dry brushed the top and it looks scary great. Once I receive and install the lighting for the upper section I'll post a few pictures.

BTY: the missing parts, most all antennae, were left to the builder to fabricate. I have fine brass rod but F3D suggests common pins. Just wished that had posted this on their site.
Also, the dish antenna on the bottom of the bow will need to be fabricated by the builder. Another site omission. I found one on Shapeways.

Tommie

Yeah, but Oscar at Factoria explained why those parts are not included. Wouldn't be hard to include the common pin antennae or a dish antenna from a sub contractor if it can't be created with FDM in-house.
Again, that info should be on the site that a bit or scratch and clean up is needed.

Just about every kit I have seen where the builder needs to supply something, be it brass rod or wire, has it laid out on the product page before you order...

Hey! Got my 1/4000 EH today.

It's, well, hmm. Not sure what I was expecting, but there's a lot of cleanup to be done. It's been printed in a translucent material that makes it a bit difficult to pick out the surface details, but they are there. Somewhere.

I've put the 1/18 X-wing butt-plate (I think that's the technical term) that I ordered from Falcon 3D Parts in there as a comparison.

event horizon 1to4000 01.jpgevent horizon 1to4000 02.jpgevent horizon 1to4000 03.jpgevent horizon 1to4000 04.jpgevent horizon 1to4000 05.jpg

First pix.
This is the upper hull of the bow, crew space of the Horizon. Finished paint. Just needs a few touches.IMG_0790.JPGIMG_0789.JPGIMG_0788.JPG

IMG_7365.jpg

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

LIGHTS!
Need to cut the intensity but the lights in the bow body are done. Hopefully, there will be LED points in the side sections to be added.

IMG_7420.jpgIMG_7421.jpgIMG_7425.jpg

IMG_7452.jpgIMG_7454.jpgIMG_7457.jpg

Event Horizon Crew section almost complete. Believe it or not, 8 more antennae to add. Added a dimmer to the LEDs which makes them appear more to scale.

IMG_7452.jpg

IMG_7454.jpg

IMG_7457.jpg

The Spine still needs a bit of cleaning and delicate antenna added but I've started work on the engine and movie bloodletting sections of the aft. Lighting on the first engine section required a good bit of surgery as the section was one piece. IMG_0013.jpgIMG_0014.jpgIMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

More progress. Working on the gravity drive (or anti-gravity, whatever the case may be. The thingy that opens the gates of hell). Another week and back to plastic and resin!

Attachments

• IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0861.JPG
    360.2 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    609.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    562.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 216
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back