Surviving Lightsabers in the Lucasfilm Archives

Kbuckne4

Hello everyone!

This is my first topic I have started on here, so if this is covered somewhere else please tell me.

I am wanting to know how many of the lightsaber props, hero and stunt, from the Original Trilogy still exist today in the Lucasfilm Archives, and how they may have changed, if at all, since production.

I know about the lightsaber guide already, and as fantastic as it is as a reference guide for screen used props, I’m more interested in where are they now. Even if they aren’t at Lucasfilm, like the V2 for example.

I’m also hoping to get a lot of pictures here too.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that Brandon Alinger (cofounder of propstore) is in possession of the Luke/Obi Wan V2 shared stunt. I remember something about Brandon having one of the Darth Vader lightsabers too, I don't recall which. There are two lightsabers in Seattles MoPop museum, but I question their authenticity of being screen used. It is believed that the obi wan hero was taken apart and some of the parts where returned to Bapty.

No! I'm, not ready to be summoned!

I saw this thread this morning and felt dread. I have a lot of work to do today-- but oh man is this a rabbit hole I want to dive into...

For now, I'll give you this:

roger.jpg

That's Roger Christian in the archives, with a bunch of sabers. This is probably representative of a good chunk of the collection, minus the Ranch saber and the various ones out on museum tours.

I believe that Brandon Alinger (cofounder of propstore) is in possession of the Luke/Obi Wan V2 shared stunt. I remember something about Brandon having one of the Darth Vader lightsabers too, I don't recall which. There are two lightsabers in Seattles MoPop museum, but I question their authenticity of being screen used. It is believed that the obi wan hero was taken apart and some of the parts where returned to Bapty.

The EMP sabers are both Gary Kurtz / Don Biess specials-- not screen used. Just don't tell Paul Allen.

I can’t be summoned right now, once I get home from work I can chime in

BUT I highly encourage the new member Kbuck to check out Seth’s book. Wicked good read!!

Then there's that "screen used" Luke that Ripley's BON paid nearly half a million for and locked up in a safe in Orlando. Another Kurtz saber I believe. Production made but not screen used.

I can’t be summoned right now, once I get home from work I can chime in

BUT I highly encourage the new member Kbuck to check out Seth’s book. Wicked good read!!

Seth’s book is the best! I have it saved on my phone and have read it several times. I’m just really interested in learning about where they are now, and seeing if anyone has pictures of them in the archives or on display.

So, ye thanks for summoning me!

A quick list:
ESB Pipe Stunt
ANH Motorized Vader/ESB Fighting Stunt "Barbican"
ESB Skywalker Ranch Graflex
V3 Cast Metal (Obi Stunt)
ROtJ Vader graflex (a bastardized ESB Luke fighting stunt graflex)
Luke ROTJ hero
Casts of Luke ROTJ hero post production
R2D2 Cast(s) of an Obi Stunt with hollow pipe inside
A Cast of the V3 (seen in Wired Mag)
(Last 2 maybe the same ones)

Energizer Bunny Saber resin casts

Icons Vader and Obi Wan ANH replicas

Private Collections (public knowledge)
Vader ESB/Jedi MPP Hero
V2 Lightsaber
Obi Stunt blank(s) (1 wood, 2 metal)

Edited: 2/22/21

Last edited:

A quick list:
ANH stunt with ESB/rotj blade inserts
ESB Skywalker Ranch graflex saber
Shared Stunt used by Obi Wan and Luke to fight
Luke ROTJ hero
A cast of the (maybe) Shared Stunt that seems to be hollow with a sawed off pommel end

One of the Shared Stunt castings that was most likely part of the onres shot out of R2 showed up in a wired article and I'm not sure if "Star Wars" Disney owns it or not.

Everything else is in a private collection or lost I think. How'd I do?

This is exactly the kind of stuff I’m wanting. This and pictures, if anyone has any pics of these on display or from videos that would be greatly appreciate

A quick list:
ANH stunt with ESB/rotj blade inserts
ESB Skywalker Ranch graflex saber
Shared Stunt used by Obi Wan and Luke to fight
Luke ROTJ hero
A cast of the (maybe) Shared Stunt that seems to be hollow with a sawed off pommel end

One of the Shared Stunt castings that was most likely part of the onres shot out of R2 showed up in a wired article and I'm not sure if "Star Wars" Disney owns it or not.

Everything else is in a private collection or lost I think. How'd I do?

with that kind of speed, thats a new record! :cheers

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly the kind of stuff I’m wanting. This and pictures, if anyone has any pics of these on display or from videos that would be greatly appreciate

your really going to make me work aren't you? give me a few minutes... ;)

with that kind of speed, thats a new record! :cheers

- - - Updated - - -

your really going to make me work aren't you? give me a few minutes... ;)

Hey I’m just looking to gain as much wisdom as I can from the masters! It’s everyone on here is incredible, and I figure together a pretty good picture can be put together sort of telling the story of these props once filming was completed.

I’ve tried to learn as much as I can about the Archives and watch videos about them. It’s pretty interesting how much stuff they have accumulated and been documented and how it’s kept.

I will too, I'll be home in an hour or so.

I'm working on finishing a saber I wish the archives had - the Yuma saber. It's Luke's hero before they decorated it for close-ups

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back